Options

Help with setting up a Digi CM32.

AintRiteAintRite Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been reading through the pdf. manual for this but that thing has me totally confused either that or I'm trying to make it to difficult. I would just like someone to give me a breakdown on how to setup a port so I can at least be able to use it. Then I will really go through the manual and learn about all the cool things it really does.

If it matters here is my lab.
Digi 32
2610xm
3 x 1760
2900xl
2 x 3550
WGU - BS: IT Security...in progress

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Well, first you need to connect to it using telnet or web interface. Have you gotten that far? the manual lists the default ip address/subnet/port.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Yes, I have gotten that far. I have been messing around in here for about 45 minutes. I think I may have gotten it working (without knowing it). I went into the access port applet and I was able to get into the one router I tried to setup, but I would like to still see how you would set it up.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Come on now, you have the manual! Don't let something as simple as a console server kick your butt!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    RTFM lol~ just kidding =p

but i love manuals, XD you should too!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Apparently Cisco console cables dont work (at least they didnt for me), I used the web interface to access, configure, and tinker. Now I telnet into it using Putty.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    I did get it figured out but thanks for all the great wisdom you guys have bestowed on me. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    To tell you the truth you didn't really give enough information for someone to help you. You didn't give a description of the problem you were having or what you had done to try and resolve the issue. How do you expect people to help you when they lack the information needed to help you?

Being able to configure and troubleshoot equipment from reading manuals is going to be a part of your career. No matter what career in IT you take. IT is a never ending learning process and you won't always have someone there to teach you. Especially as your progress into the upper levels of the business.

The other posters in this thread were just trying to enable you to be able to start figuring it out on your own. We won't always just give an answer to a person.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    lantech wrote: »
    To tell you the truth you didn't really give enough information for someone to help you. You didn't give a description of the problem you were having or what you had done to try and resolve the issue. How do you expect people to help you when they lack the information needed to help you?

Being able to configure and troubleshoot equipment from reading manuals is going to be a part of your career. No matter what career in IT you take. IT is a never ending learning process and you won't always have someone there to teach you. Especially as your progress into the upper levels of the business.

The other posters in this thread were just trying to enable you to be able to start figuring it out on your own. We won't always just give an answer to a person.
    If more info was needed then it could have been asked but I figured everyone would know I was using it as a console server. I had already stated that I had it working and just wanted to see how someone else would have set it up. Oh well this was a lesson learned.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I'm just as bad - trying to figure out how to get mine to work (get to the setup)

Using http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000301_G.pdf

Ok, crossover from the ethernet port and static IP on the laptop worked for browser access.
    How do you go about console port access as the cisco rollover cables don't work?

Now to try and figure what the heck I have to do/setup to get this to work.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    You need to use straight cat5 cables for each device you want to access from the console ports.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Ok thanks. Just plugged 1 router in and managed to access it via telnet using the tcp port 7031 (the router was plugged into 31)

Just need to figure out how once I plug everything in I can hop around the place :) Going out now so will have to look another time.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.