Options

Remembering Network Timers?

NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
Amongst all my tidbits of networking knowledge, I've noted that certain types of information are harder to remember / easier to forget than others.

Timers are a.. female dog.

Does anyone have any tips for remembering those? An understanding of a protocol doesn't help with remembering the almost arbitrary choice of a 5s or 10s hello time. Granted, I know by heart the timers of the protocols that I troubleshoot on a weekly basis.

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was just thinking the same exact thing today - Definitely interested in any tips people have.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bump. We're still interested in tips. :p
  • Options
    jimmyhelujimmyhelu Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Extreme-Networks Actually I have started writing the script as follows, which gets ... Remember to save your configuration changes
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    Personally, I just try to remember the hello timer. Most protocol's dead/hold timers are usually 3x the hello. Having said that, I don't put too much effort into remember the timers as there are just too many (EIGRP, OSPF, EIGRP over WAN, STP, RSTP, HSRP, etc..) to remember.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Brute force I guess. When I make flashcards for a topic, I always include 1 question for all of the timers used with their defaults.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pretty much the same as m3zilla. Remember the defaults and usually stick with them unless there's a reason to change it on the network.