Options

Help in deciding which certification to pursue!!!!

klhatchettklhatchett Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,
I am an current Information Security and Assurance student with a couple of years until I graduate, I currently do not have any IT certifications and I am looking to get any certification that will be beneficial for my career. With that being said, I wanted to know if you all could give me some advice on which certifications to go after first (A+, Network+, Security+ etc.).
Look me up on LinkedIn, Lets Connect! http://www.linkedin.com/in/klhatchett92

Comments

• Options
    Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

It's common to be confused about which certifications to start at. You mention you're an Information Security and Assurance student. I believe that the ISC2 certifications would eventually be beneficial for you, but they're for more experienced IT professionals.
    For now, I would suggest starting with the Network+ certification. It gives a good overview of networking concepts. The A+ is also helpful, but you may already be familiar with the subject matter. If not, go for that as well!

Other certifications you could look at getting are the Security+ certification, and also the Associate of ISC2.

Hope it helps!
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    I'd go along the (ISC)2 cert path, with regard to your current studies icon_wink.gif

Bonne chance m8
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What kind of career path are you looking to get into? Networking? Security? Or just trying to make your break into the IT world?
  • Options
    Im looking to get into Web Application Security which I guess would mean I would also be doing Penetration Testing. But as of now since I do not have much experience im really just looking to get some experience in the IT world, to see what other things I may like
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    php skills, python skills, CCNA Secuirty, OSCP, GWAPT
    set your goals... :)
  • Options
    itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Based on your career path, I would recommend you pursue the Network+ cert first and then pursue the Security+ after... you should be able to do without your A+ based on the direction you indicated. However, an A+ is a great way to land an entry level IT position to give you some hands on while you complete your studies. It's probably more on the unlikely side that you'll land any kind of security based position with no prior work experience.
  • Options
    Focus on one or two or three programming languages first (php, python & perl)

At the same time - Start downloading WebGoat
    & follow the guide & watch step-by-step videos from this link YGN Ethical Hacker Group (YEHG) :: OWASP WebGoat Web Hacking Simulation Series

watch Welcome to SecurityTube.net too...

download SamuraiWTF too.. :)
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    depends on what you want and know
    If you have a good foundation on networking and general system+pc technologies
    Id skip the comptia
    Maybe go for Security+ (a lot of goverment and healthcare companies require you to at least have sec+)

The first and most important thing Id recommend you is to get experience, just get experience!
    Then you need to find out what path of security you want to follow
    and then go from there
    meh
  • Options
    Well not really strong with the networking or technology in general so there is still a lot for me to learn, I know that networking is key to any career path in IT, so that's why I was confused on rather to get the A+ or Security+ because I know the A+ can help me develop a stronger background in IT and the security+ is generally for people with more advanced knowledge
  • Options
    Skip A+ and Net+ , when u're graduated, those will be covered......
    Even Security+ will be covered since ur major is "Information Security and Assurance".....

get CCENT first :)