Options

CBT Nuggets Purchase - Declined. Reason: Fraud

YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I was attempting to place an order with CBT Nuggets online; however my credit card kept getting declined. I ensured my information was entered correctly, and decided to contact my bank - ING Direct.

ING Direct informed me that Mastercard has decided to block CBT Nuggets from initiating credit/debit transactions due to fraudulent charges coming from this company after the initial purchase was made. I decided to do more research with Google, but I couldn't find anything related to this. To me this seems like kind of a big deal, considering these videos are very popular within the IT Training / certification community.

Has anyone else encountered this problem, or heard of this happening?

Comments

• Options
    j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Wow, thats unreal.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    hummmmm
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Have you called CBTNuggets to find out what they know? Or Mastercard?
  • Options
    I contacted CBT Nuggets, but the office is closed. I have not checked with Mastercard yet.
  • Options
    RaBeckRaBeck Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, Rachel from CBT Nuggets here. YFZblu, sorry to hear about the issue. This is the first we have heard of it, and as far as we can tell, there are no issues with our billing system. Please do contact us (we're open!) and we will see if there is anything we can do.

Thank you!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wow! Now that's service :)
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is what happens when you run a tech service. Bots can sort through the Internet searching for your company's name enabling you to find things like this and react.

This is how the Internet SHOULD be used by companies.
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The payment processor your bank uses may have blocked it for whatever their reasoning maybe.

I haven't had any issue...just purchased something from them last night to study for ICND2 using my Debit card that is a Mastercard.
  • Options
    Update: I contacted CBT Nuggets and was able to successfully make a purchase via my BofA Mastercard, I'll have to contact ING Direct and ask them to look further into this.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe ING are maxed out...
  • Options
    It wasn't a money issue, ING tried to blame Mastercard.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    There are a lot of correlation rules and algorithms running on all purchases to detect fraud. Just like with network intrusion detection systems, false-positives are bound to occur. This results in a denied purchase if, "when in doubt, deny the transaction" is the default rule.