Options

Aww man :( INCD2 no good...

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
So, I got knocked down today, failed icnd2 776...(first test fail ever... **pours out some Vitamin Water**)
Got a 17% in freaking WAN... !! 17%!!!! (I knew it was least covered topic but dizzzam!) This test is a big time upgrade over ICND1.. I felt lost half the time (and to that case, i think I missed at least half of what I missed do to tricky wording, or convenient omissions of specifics) but I did take it a full week earlier than I planned to on Sept 15th, I considered this a practice test, and if I happened to been ready enough to pass then so be it. I guess Ill fine tune up a storm and take it again next weekend or one of the week days of the 17th.

Now that I know what to expect, I will refocus and get my weakness's up (Freaking WAN 17%!!!) and brush up on the rest of topics to make sure I have it next time. I barely finished, didn't get to read last question, just picked an answer, and there were about 3 questions I just had absolutely no clue on... so I know what topics they belong to... Here's to another week of study. Hopefully it's enough.

Comments

• Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's the spirit. Let the fire within you help you - not hold you back.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    What material did you use? That might be the issue
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Todd Lammele
    Wendell Odom
    Boson Net Sim/Exam Enviornment
    And Jeremy Ciarora Practice Questions
    31 Days before your CCNA.
    All the lastest editions of each

I've been studying for 10 Days... I took a month off from studying after a contract job after ICND1, and that Job ended the 28th of last month... So I probably rushed it...I had enough time to go through material twice, but don't think it is settled as well as it will be with constant work.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Wow, you must be in a hurry =p but at least you are on course and readying your aim at next try =)

I didn't dare take ICND2 without 2 months of studying after ICND1. But maybe that's just me, slow learner~ haha

Work hard until next time =D
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Todd Lammele
    Wendell Odom
    Boson Net Sim/Exam Enviornment
    And Jeremy Ciarora Practice Questions
    31 Days before your CCNA.
    All the lastest editions of each

I've been studying for 10 Days... I took a month off from studying after a contract job after ICND1, and that Job ended the 28th of last month... So I probably rushed it...I had enough time to go through material twice, but don't think it is settled as well as it will be with constant work.

I'm not sold on any of the resources you used except the practice questions and simulator. The reason for that is anyone can read but does the author explain it in a readily understood style. The failing score you get for reading 1200+ pages for study guides and not passing is disheartening. I'm trying the academy for packet tracer and WAN protocols, dummies CCENT, testout.com (CCENT topics only) and yet to be determined test bed.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Illumanati wrote: »
    I'm trying the academy for packet tracer and WAN protocols, dummies CCENT, testout.com (CCENT topics only) and yet to be determined test bed.

I loved CCENT for Dummies =) I thought it's a great great book =D

CCNA for Dummies is nice too, but not as complete. I agree with OP and everyone else consulting on at least 2 books or more. Always nice to cross reference.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mapletune wrote: »
    I loved CCENT for Dummies =) I thought it's a great great book =D

CCNA for Dummies is nice too, but not as complete. I agree with OP and everyone else consulting on at least 2 books or more. Always nice to cross reference.

Yes I agree vehemently, what parts did you use to get your CCENT or did you read it all? I plan on doing this because it is so juicy. It reads like a storybook, novel or drama and I loved reading those type of books all the way back to reading Hardy Boys books. The author keeps it interesting and easy. You should take Cisco class for ICND2.

Btw, I see you are in Taiwan, Jeremy Lin plays on my team named for city.
  • Options
    Illumanati wrote: »
    I'm not sold on any of the resources you used except the practice questions and simulator. The reason for that is anyone can read but does the author explain it in a readily understood style. The failing score you get for reading 1200+ pages for study guides and not passing is disheartening. I'm trying the academy for packet tracer and WAN protocols, dummies CCENT, testout.com (CCENT topics only) and yet to be determined test bed.

Well I didn't miss one question that my material covered if that what you are wondering I know for a fact, because when I left I wrote down some of the issues I had (with certain topics, like "learn how to vlsm networks in 8 seconds vs the 14 that I was doing them in) and 75% of them dealt with word play. I had a sim that I got stuck on, and probably spent 10 minutes on. I only had 43 questions, so towards the end I got hit with some very elaborate sims. At that point it became all about time. Towards the end, I probably got the last 25 questions in a row right because after the first 16, I felt that I might have missed 6 no joke. I was missing questions like "Is this magic, or sorcery" "Is it drizzle or precipitation?" Not literally, but those were the structure, very very very very like things, where it was more like "Is this green or emerald colored?)

So it was more about knowing the material classification, and or intrinsic minutiae more than the raw power of Show Commands, or configurations, in my version of the exam at least. Let's say I felt it was more about doing, then knowing. I was probably only tested on 25% of the material that I've read the last 2 weeks. As in, theory/configuration on each test domain. The vast majority of my questions came down to a option about what something did, and the two options that might have been left to choose between were so close it was like damn "Hot Sauce or Tabasco?!" Very hard to explain without giving literally examples.

Without revealing specifics of the test I couldn't say more. But I am very confident in my material, it is just possible that I didn't give myself enough time to become good to great in every category... which is easily represented by my 17% in Wan.. If I would have gotten a 50% in that category, I wouldn't have failed... And i missed 3 questions that were me just out thinking myself,, "Magic or Sorcery" that I've research the moment I got home.
    "Is this a Hotdog or a Frankfurter!"

I mean literally I got caught up in word games . I probably studied/learned it in the way I felt the test was going to be given, versus learning the way that made me be able to say I have this inside and out. (So i need to learn what year ospf was created, because I saw more of those type questions then how does it send messages to other routers in its area.) With 7 more days of review, labbing, and granular nitpicking I should be fine. But again, I did take it after studying for 10 days because I wanted to actually give it a decent shot.. Once i started passing Boson with 900+, there is really nothing there to test you like the test could. I learned more from my experience at the test then, 2 more weeks of study could. And what I learn goes pass the CCNA material, its an operational adjustment to my thinking that has been fine tuned even more for success. I feel very empowered and very eager to get back in there and prove my worth. And now, I know I shouldn't and won't ever take this lightly (I didn't before) But now, it has my full undivided attention and respect.

The closet example I can say for my mistake was.. I put the Cart before the Horse. I think I studied and learned the stuff at the highest level, but overlooked the small little in between details. I think I prepared to go 100 mph, and the test cruised at 45 mph... you see things at a slower speed more than you do going 100mph all the time. I was out of my comfort zone, and trust me, that's when mistakes are made. Hopefully I get it right next time
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Todd Lammele and Wendell Odom are both great resources but they need dedicated time for lab and study. If you just spent 10 days collectively on all those resources, that might explain why. Sorry icon_sad.gif

Here's what I would recommend:
    1) Take a day off and relax
    2) The next day, hit the studying HARD and take the time to read through even chapter one at a time
    3) At the end of every chapter, lab what you learned for at least an hour
    4) When you done with the book you are reading, take some practice tests. For your weakest areas, re-read the chapter and relab

You should be able to get away with JUST Lammele or just Odom on this. Just put some dedicated time into it. It's a fun topic to study if you just give yourself the time to study it :) Good luck!

Just wanted to add, WAN was covered in later chapters of Odom's book. You have to understand frame relay, the different LMI types, DLCI's, etc for the test. It may have been a smaller chapter but the material in that chapter is definitely on the test from what I remember
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Todd Lammele and Wendell Odom are both great resources but they need dedicated time for lab and study. If you just spent 10 days collectively on all those resources, that might explain why. Sorry icon_sad.gif

Here's what I would recommend:
    1) Take a day off and relax
    2) The next day, hit the studying HARD and take the time to read through even chapter one at a time
    3) At the end of every chapter, lab what you learned for at least an hour
    4) When you done with the book you are reading, take some practice tests. For your weakest areas, re-read the chapter and relab

You should be able to get away with JUST Lammele or just Odom on this. Just put some dedicated time into it. It's a fun topic to study if you just give yourself the time to study it :) Good luck!

Just wanted to add, WAN was covered in later chapters of Odom's book. You have to understand frame relay, the different LMI types, DLCI's, etc for the test. It may have been a smaller chapter but the material in that chapter is definitely on the test from what I remember

Awesome advice, I shall follow that plan.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 on more labbing. Better luck next time, I'm sure you'll knock it out.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lammle and lab time is all you need.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I suspect this is a case where less would be more (rather, more focus on a subset of those materials.. Lammle + labs or Odom + labs).