Options

New job interview is approaching.

GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
Hello everyone.

I am happily announcing my new oncoming interview. It will be next week. It is Support Analyst III and the required qualifications are :

At least 3 years experience in implementing, day to day operations, troubleshooting, maintaining/ upgrading SW with Networking products

LAN/ WAN, MPLS Support

Experience with Cisco switches and routers a must

Nexus experience a plus

Firewall experience a must. ASA Firewalls a plus

Lan to Lan VPN configuration/ troubleshooting

NAT/ PAT

Juniper Netscreen SSG Firewalls

Experience working in an ASP/Hosting environment a big plus.

Routing Protocols:

OSPF, EIGRP a plus to have.

Not required but a nice to have:

CCNP certification a big plus

Content Services Switch Load balancer

Cisco ACE Load balancer or Citrix Netscaler

Riverbed Steelhead

Orion network monitor

I see the requirements a little bit untidy. Especially it gives a feeling about "everything about networking" : Especially about routing & switching" and " security". I may have very well knowledge about some of them while have a little about others. However I am eager to learn and contribute effort as much as i can. Tuesday will be the first interview ( i hope will not be the last one with this company). what are your opinions ?

Comments

• Options
    yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Best of luck for your interviewicon_thumright.gif
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Usually whenever I see job requirements like this, my expectation is that the prospective employer is seeking someone with general expertise in broad categories. I am guessing more of a goto person for a smaller enterprise. Or a support person that can help with triage and bring on specialized engineers. It sounds like a neat way to be exposed to lots of different technology.

You probably ought to emphasize your capability to learn. I suspect that because of the tech diversity in the job, having good troubleshooting skills with an entire ecosystem will be important.

Good luck on the interview.
  • Options
    m3zillam3zilla Member Posts: 172
    paul78 wrote: »
    Usually whenever I see job requirements like this, my expectation is that the prospective employer is seeking someone with general expertise in broad categories. .

I would agree with you if I saw server related stuff in there, but this seems pretty normal for a network position.

I work for a enterprise level company, and we're expected to support everything the OP listed minus the Juniper stuff. We have a relatively large/complex network, and make use of all the items on that list (riverbed, CSS/ACE, ASA/CheckPoints), and we need to be able to troubleshoot end to end connectivity.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    m3zilla wrote: »
    I would agree with you if I saw server related stuff in there, but this seems pretty normal for a network position.

I work for a enterprise level company, and we're expected to support everything the OP listed minus the Juniper stuff. We have a relatively large/complex network, and make use of all the items on that list (riverbed, CSS/ACE, ASA/CheckPoints), and we need to be able to troubleshoot end to end connectivity.

Agree
    All the descriptions seem to point to good networking
    Im having that exact issue here in Indy
    Ive seen some positions that are good Network wise then suddenly... bam 2 years of SQL and Xenapp experience
    what!?
    but yeah....

I wish you success with that interview mate!
    meh
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting... I guess I am used to different IT org structures. In the enterprises that I am familiar, network engineers do not touch security devices. And WAN and LAN engineering are separate teams. Just goes to show that there are lots of different ways to organize IT teams icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In smaller environments, the Network Engineer would touch network security devices. However, I am seeing more and more companies breaking down the IT silos. They want their Network Engineer to be more broad - wireless, firewalls or UTMs, routing & switching, load balancers, and etc. No, these are not small companies - these are in the top 50 of Fortune 500 and some in the 300s. However, there are still a lot of companies out there that are still highly specialized.
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    This is how every networking job in my area is listed. This is the wish list of things they want. The job I'm interviewing with right now had 3 pages of desired qualifications listed. I only knew about half the stuff and I made it through the initial phone interview just fine. I have learned that you should always apply if you meet a decent amount of the qualifications. Many employers will at least give you an interview. Congrats on the interview and good luck.
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Jackace wrote: »
    This is how every networking job in my area is listed. This is the wish list of things they want. The job I'm interviewing with right now had 3 pages of desired qualifications listed. I only knew about half the stuff and I made it through the initial phone interview just fine. I have learned that you should always apply if you meet a decent amount of the qualifications. Many employers will at least give you an interview. Congrats on the interview and good luck.

This is very true. I'll add that even if you lack the knowledge is some/certain areas, being honest and forthcoming in the interview and showing a desire to learn and grow professionally will often more than make up for the lack of knowledge in the eyes of many prospective employers.

Good luck with the interview, OP!
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    GOZCUGOZCU Member Posts: 234
    hi, interview was today. however technical interview will take place in 2 weeks. today was about more personality and the company itself. it was almost perfect in my opinion.
  • Options
    ScsmarttScsmartt Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    best of luck to you on your technical interview