VCP ready?

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
I’ve been running my MCSE/Linux certs and even my Cisco labs in conjunction with ESX for years now.

In the last 3-4 years I have build out some small vSphere 3.5/4.0 installations. Also Hyper-v and XenServer. I have in the past attended the virtualization basics classed in XenServer and VMware. I’ve done a couple official bootcamps and some CBTs.

So I guess you could say I had 3-4 years of progressive virtualization experience. Some time toward the start of the year I decided for formalize my experience there.

So here is my VCP status report. Since January –
1) Took the VCP5 Install, configure and manage course at a community college
2) Took the “what’s new” class at work for vSphere 5
3) Took the Troubleshooting vSphere 4 class
4) Took the Designing Class at VMWorld (excellent class!)
5) Attended dozens of talks and a couple labs at VMworld
6) Completed the VMware View Basics class
7) Read the Mastering and Designing books a couple times each
icon_cool.gif Build out a small data center with a friend in the real world (with Nexus 1000s)
9) Have my own 4 node build out at home
10) Have been doing performance analysis(with vFoglight) at work on our 200 ESX host environments and misc maintenance and troubleshooting

I am not sure if I am ready for the VCP though. Still no real SAN experience beyond basic iSCSI stuff. And I have no vCloud/vNavigator/vOPS experience to speak of.

So what do you think my next step is? I have a VCP and VCAP voucher both just sitting in my inbox. (perks for taking the official classes)
-Daniel

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I reckon you are ready for it. Read the vSphere storage guide a couple of times, lab up what you can and go sit the test. Don't over-think it, you've been working with ESX for a while now and I know your good otherwise too. Do it man, you'll come out on top. Check out mwpreston.net for practice exams, very close to the real thing.

I dont think vCloud/vNavigator/vOPS are on the VCP 5. Are you possibly referring to the VCP5 - IaaS?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say your ready to tackle the cert, you might want to look at some of the Virtual storage appliances like from HP and netapp, they can really help you get some "Storage" experience, at least the basics, and they can be run in your lab pretty easily.

I am not sure about 5 but there weren't alot of questions on products outside Vsphere on version 4, there were some, but they were very basic.
  • scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Compare your knowledge and skills against the exam blueprint - that will help you decide for yourself whether you think you are ready.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You took the ICM AND What's New for vSphere 5?

But yea - check the blueprint and see if you know the knowledge asked.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    You took the ICM AND What's New for vSphere 5?

lol, yes. One I took on my own at a community college in my area. Then my job had a mandatory training of the What's new as we are planning on upgrading. Was a great review if you think of it that way. I had also takedn the ICM under version 4. So that class and me are getting pretty comfortable with eachother.

I actually used to help/teach our interns/new hires with a virtualization basics class at my old job (we hads xenserver and vmware customers at the time). So yeah, I am REALLY familiar with that class.
    -Daniel
  • mitch179mitch179 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dare I say you sound like you are ready!

It was a tough exam but from what you've said you've done to prepare I'm sure you'll pass. Like others have said, go over the blue print!
    Alright guys, spent the last weak breaking down the blue print. there was not a single area I dont have at least 2 years or more experience. Everything in there I have studied in greater detail than even seems to be on the exam.

Went through the Q&A referred to above and found it pretty easy, but seemed slightly trivial. That said I made flash card and have gone through and memorized the maximums guide as well as about 100 other random pieces of trivia that jumped out. The line is always blurry on the trivia plart. But having memorized over 300 trivial things that you would normally just google in real life, i can't say I could be more prepared.

Gonna review the processes of doing certain things a few times of the next few weeks and shoot for end of monthish. Depending the time off work I can get.
    -Daniel
    I complained about my lack of FC experience and got lucky. Boss over another department over heard and gave me access to their POC lab. I've now got a good 50-60 additional hours of additional expereince. Zoning etc. Been fun.

All scheduled for the 21st.

By all measures I should be more than ready for this exam.
    -Daniel
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    By the sound of it, more than the most of us :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like you're ready for the higher exams. VCP should be a breeze.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have taken the class and read Scott's book you are ready.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Good Luck, sounds like you have a great game plan up to your test day
    Before I forget about this. Yes, I did pass.

Overall I was not happy with VMware's exam. I really felt like it was a throw back in certification exams. I felt like I was taking a old Comptia or Windows 2000 MCSE exam. It was like a few guys sat down in a room and made some stuff up with no rhyme or reason.

1) About 20% of the exam, were just ads for other products. "What OTHER VMware tool would you buy to solve problem X?"
    2) Spelling errors, just a few. Not a big deal, but shows the lack of integrity they have on their process.
    3) Trivia, port number memorization, min/maxs, and worst of all "what would you find on page two of the wizard X".
    4) Too many questions, not enough time. Many questions were very long and took a minute or two just to read. Sadly you are allocated just 1 minute per question. So you have no time to think.
    5) Questions designed to test your English skills, not your knowledge

All the Vmware bootcamps I have done have been "slow" and really easy going compared to others I have done. And now I can honestly say they miss the mark completely and have little to do with what you will actually be tested on.

Based on this experience I am not sure I will value the VCP like I have in the past in my hiring process.

As for my next step? I have a VCAP voucher, a lab and my company offered to send me to the Optimize and Scale class. But I am not sure I will bother.

I'll close on a positive, in reminding myself it's not about the cert. It's about what you learn in the process and I can firmly say I am much better engineer than I was a year ago.
    -Daniel
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Daniel,

Congrats on the pass. I sorta feel the same way about the exam. I have pissed off a few people who didn't pass the first time. I studied for 6 weeks after taking the class so I think I over prepared. The exam to me was a bit harder than comptia's and not by much. You are right, I value what I learned in the process more than the cert itself. However, the cert is getting me more calls on my resume.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you thought VCP was too many questions & not enough time, you really won't like DCD.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I dont know I haven't taken any comptia ones, but it was easier then my Microsoft tests...
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Whats next on the cert front? The VCAP-DCA is a lab based exam and from what I've heard it does really test you. Completely different league from the VCP.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Sorry if I gave the impression the exam was easy. I mean to say it was esoteric. Just out there full of random stuff.

As for what's next, I slowly working on my Splunk certification as budget allows. Hopefully inside of a year. On my own, probably LPIC1 and 2. Or maybe juniper.
    -Daniel