Options

First IT job interview

Newtech92Newtech92 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I have gotten my very first Desktop Support Technician job interview on Wednesday. It is contract work and at a elementary school. I only have a years worth of intern experience and I have Comptia's A+ and Network+. They have listed A+ is required and Network+ a plus. I am nervous as if I get this job I may be the only IT person there and worried there would be no supervisor. I don't have too much experience and I was wondering if you guys have had any contract entry-level jobs and what they were like. I have never had a real paying IT job so this would be my first and am looking for any advice on this topic.

Thanks for all advice,
Dylan

Comments

• Options
    jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll bet lunch at TGIF the following is a high probability:

-The person interviewing you will have zero computer/IT certifications
    -The person interviewing you would not be able to answer the most basic IT questions posed without Google
    -The person interviewing you will not have any clue about their network such as: logical and physical layout, IP address ranges, inventory, etc... When they ask you if you have any questions, ask about the before mentioned items or a disaster recovery plan
    -Your future boss who oversees the IT department will not be able to find their butt with both hands if you pointed them in the right direction

I say relax. If you have your A+ and Net+, you are light years ahead of any manager in a school district and they will never catch you--trust me on this.

There are exceptions I am sure. You may be lucky and get one.

Follow-up and let me know if I owe you lunch.
  • Options
    I would just be nervous I would be the only IT guy there and they would want me to do things that I have never done before. Like I said I have only had like a years worth of internship work and never a real paying IT job. What you said I believe it in some places haha, I am just a newbie to this thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you in the US? I know that in my state every school has a Technology Coordinator; they're usually experienced and have worked their way up in the school. If it's a big school district and you're only assigned to one school, consider yourself lucky! I've worked for two school districts before and was assigned to many schools.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MAC_Addy,

Yes It is in the US I am in Indiana
  • Options
    jesseou812jesseou812 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy,

I am in the US. I work with hundreds of school districts and deal with many Technology Coordinators DAILY. That is a title only I can assure you. The dumbest ones have "Executive" in front of Technology Coordinator.

Be very scared if they have managed to somehow fit "Superintendent of" in the tech title. That means they are dumb as a fence post and they have the intellect of a goat.

Your MPG may vary.