Options

Does tutoring do anything for a resume?

Hey guys I am considering becoming an information systems tutor at my community college and was wondering if this would get me any resume points? I will probably be the only Cisco and networking tutor. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    it all depends on how ya put it on your resume

i wouldnt put it as tutoring but as something else
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not sure about points with employers, but you'll definitely improve your networking knowledge.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Teaching is great way to learn. If nothing else, you'll learn more.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zrockstar wrote: »
    Hey guys I am considering becoming an information systems tutor at my community college and was wondering if this would get me any resume points? I will probably be the only Cisco and networking tutor. Thoughts?
    You won't get many resume points for that experience, but you may learn the material better, which would help in interviews. There's also the possibility that someone you teach may become a good contact or reference. I remember a college professor who got into the field that way. :)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I definitely don't think it will hurt in anyway. Maybe a little less free time but that's about it. I would look highly upon someone that teaches others.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    I definitely don't think it will hurt in anyway. Maybe a little less free time but that's about it. I would look highly upon someone that teaches others.

Great advice, thank you. Thanks everyone for the input. I think I am going to go ahead and do it. I talked to the tutoring center this afternoon and they definitely need people for the 200-level classes.
  • Options
    Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on how it is written. Post your resume and let us critique your new addition.
  • Options
    KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    Rather than say it would do no harm, I would say it would be of benefit. I think it might be a bit more valuable than you and others think - (Assuming you are good at it) it shows you can communicate, interact with, lead and motivate people - these are all great skills in any job, skills that a lot of people in IT do not posess.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Those are all great points, Ken, thank you. Network_Engineer, I am currently in a redesign on my resume, so I actually was planning on posting it for a critique after I am done. Thanks.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Some positions actually look for teaching or mentoring experience. I had an interview for a level 2 NOC position and the interviewer asked if I had any experience training and mentoring others. This was because we would be expected to mentor the level 1 people that were below us.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD