Options

To refer someone or not to refer someone?

He asked me where I work and I told him.

He was my classmate in 2008-2009. From 2009-2012, he disappeared for 3 years without a word (back to his home country). Up until a few days ago, he is back and asked if there were any openings at my company...

It is easy for me to help submit my resume for him...but 3 years is a big gap and I have no idea what he has been doing...

What do you think? If you were in this situation, would you put in his resume?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd put in his resume but let them know I'm not endorsing this person as I don't know much about them, just passing a candidate along.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wouldn't do it. I've been burned in the past with people using my name and not working out. As much as I would like to help, it could backfire and that is never good.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I'd say 'no', but give him the name of the HR person he could contact.

Too often, even if you turn the resume in for them, the reviewer 'thinks' you know this person and may unintentially give that person a better look than simply someone who makes a complete cold call.

There are very few people I will 'recommend' for jobs. I've been burnt, and therefore when I give out a recommendation it is for someone who is really top-notch. I've given maybe 3 recommendations in the last 20 years, one very recently.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Up until a few days ago, he is back and asked if there were any openings at my company...

It is easy for me to help submit my resume for him...but 3 years is a big gap and I have no idea what he has been doing...

What do you think? If you were in this situation, would you put in his resume?

I'd tell him my company is almost always hiring, and point him to the jobs website where he can find and apply for specific positions. I've known people for less than an hour who offered to help pass my resume to the right people. It's only a big deal if you make it one.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would take networker050184 advice, just pass along his resume and do not put your name behind it, just another candidate.