Options

Should Outside I.T work be left off Resume?

ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys, I have a quick question regarding work experience on my resume. My last 3 positions were I.T based. My first job was a server hardware engineer at a small/medium sized I.T company. Second Job was a Desktop support for Equity Traders and was promoted to do Data Center Server support for one of the largest Swiss Banks in the world. Then i did Trade Floor support on the Data Center Server side at another large Investment Bank. After that contract ended in early 2009... I ventured off into becoming an independent Trader myself. After recent life changing situations.. i am forced to go back into employment but here's the problem... I have been getting some calls but nothing solid and I have been applying for jobs that i know i can do in relation to my previous I.T experience but no calls back. I have myself as a Foreign Exchange Trader on my resume as that's exactly what i was doing but I am beginning to think i should take it off, however if i do, Then it looks like i was doing nothing since 2009. Should i remove it anyway? and then discuss it if asked? The last couple of calls I've received that i was very interested in was Data Center support at Morgan Stanley but never heard back even though i was told to expect a call. Then i got a call for Data Center support for J.P Morgan... BUT it was an overnight shift at $35,000 a year, that's an insult. I'm not sure what to do or how to approach job applications because it seems like the odds are stacked against me in terms of being out of a traditional job for 3 years. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.