Options

New job, probably

dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
My contact at 4 letter government agency is coming to an end (budget cuts), so my company had me interview for an open position at a 3 letter government agency. First interview was a technical phone interview with VMware (they're the prime on the contract). 2nd interview was another technical interview, but in person. I nailed both interviews giving the interviewers excruciating amounts of detail regarding how various vSphere technologies work. I've got a 3rd interview coming up soon (meet & greet), and should start at the new job next month.

It seems they have a Beta test lab where they test the latest & greatest VMware products, so collecting all VCPs & VCAPs seem obtainable. I'll be working with VMware consultants representing VMware to the customer which is pretty cool.

3 drawbacks to the job:

1. I'll be commuting via Metro, so that'll get expensive quick. Will need to get the company to pay for the increased expense via raise.
2. My 10 min commute is now 45 min commute (15 min drive & 30 min rail).
3. I won't be able to pick up my daughter from pre-school.

Unlike Iris, I did not receive a free Diablo III key. icon_sad.gif
2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
"Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman

Comments

• Options
    Heny '06Heny '06 Member Posts: 107
    Congrats on the new positions. I work in downtown DC, so I am all too familiar with the commute. Im not a fan of metro, I rather drive. Hopefully you dont have to take the redline, thats the WORST.

Can you work from home?
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Sounds like a pretty awesome opportunity! I can definitely understand the heartburn in an increased commute - especially if you're now having to commute within through the city. I don't mind taking the metro from Vienna to Ballston, but if I had to do Vienna to the Navy Yard or something, I'd probably be a little miffed.
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Heny '06 wrote: »
    Congrats on the new positions. I work in downtown DC, so I am all too familiar with the commute. Im not a fan of metro, I rather drive. Hopefully you dont have to take the redline, thats the WORST.

Can you work from home?

As someone who currently takes the Red Line everyday, I can confirm that it's the worst.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dave330i wrote: »
    1. I'll be commuting via Metro, so that'll get expensive quick. Will need to get the company to pay for the increased expense via raise.
    2. My 10 min commute is now 45 min commute (15 min drive & 30 min rail).
    3. I won't be able to pick up my daughter from pre-school.

These would be complete deal breakers for me. No way I'd be taking the Metro everyday! Be sure to take these into careful consideration. If you decide its for you, good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Congrats!

I don't envy having to take the Metro to work. I don't mind flying out to DC to work a few days here and there, but can't ever see myself living in that area.

I'll actually be out at one of those 3 letter agencies again for work later this month... staying in the Crystal City area near the airport.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    what!? No diablo III key?
    you should renegotiate!

but really, gratz man
    too bad in the commute time but if the job is worth it, the job is worth it
    meh
  • Options
    These would be complete deal breakers for me. No way I'd be taking the Metro everyday! Be sure to take these into careful consideration. If you decide its for you, good luck!

I used to commute via ACE rail while living in CA (it ran 6 times/day). Commuting via mass transit isn't a big deal for me. Cost is just annoying.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Are you using the Washington DC metro system or MD? Or do you live somewhere else. The washington Metro is actually not bad price, is it possible to use the bus + metro? If you can cut your car out of the equation you would be saving a lot more. Not to mention I would rather stay away from I95 and I495 (capital beltway) during rush hour. Also a lot of compaies have benifits for using the DC metro system (smartbenefits)

I currently take a bus but I will be biking soon :) I live right outside of DC.

Congrats on the new job!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Crystal City? I could venture a guess I what agency lol
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Done well Dave, good luck with the new gig!

So how big's the new environment?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    On a side note; we should all meet up and have a drink lol.
  • Options
    I used to commute via ACE rail while living in CA (it ran 6 times/day). Commuting via mass transit isn't a big deal for me. Cost is just annoying.

The Metro and longer commute sucks, but not being able to pick up your daughter is the huge one for me. I know I really love getting my kids after school when I have the chance. Not to mention the extra money on child care if that is the case. Not trying to talk you out of it, but I know I took a job with some downsides like this that I really ended up regretting in the end even though the actual job was nice.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Having to take the Metro would definitely kill it for me, and that's coming from someone who commutes 45 minutes each way. I mostly just look at my commute as an excuse for a fun drive every day.

Definitely negotiate for the Diablo III key! Seems like another deal breaker.
  • Options
    ScsmarttScsmartt Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sounds awesome. hope it all goes well.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    a little off topic but just curious. Why isn't mass transportation systems cheaper than personal transportation? Shouldn't it be so to provide incentive for people to pollute less, share more, and make everything a bit more systematic in the country? XD dunno~

anyway, congrats! =) hope everything works out whether you take the job or not.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    Final interview tentatively scheduled for next Tuesday. Many groups are involved and its a gov't agency, so it took a while to setup. Whole process made studying for 2 exams that much more fun.
  • Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Had the final interview today. They want me to start on Monday. Gonna be spending the first few months learning vCloud and vHorizon.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Had the final interview today. They want me to start on Monday. Gonna be spending the first few months learning vCloud and vHorizon.

Wow congrats!
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    thats awesome =] im glad it all worked out
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Grats on Job, cool to see all the fellow Virginians on the thread! although I am a bit south ( Richmond )
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Congrats man!
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats man!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Been at the new job since Monday. Commute via metro isn't too bad. I get to do some reading. Won't have any computer access until sometime next week. Won't have full access to the environment for few months.

It's pretty cool to work in an environment where there are multiple VMware guys running around vs. being the only VMware guy onsite.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Awesome work! Keep us posted!