Options

Taking SWITCH tomorrow (again)

poguepogue Member Posts: 213
Failed it by about 60 points last time.. went back and refreshed on 802.1x, DHCP Snooping, and ARP inspection, plus a few other weak spots.....

Let's see how it works out... I'll post results by phone from the exam center when I finish...

Russ
Currently working on: CCNA:Security
Up next: CCNA:Voice

Comments

• Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck!
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Good luck, 60 points? You got this nailed on this round for sure!
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck sir. You got this!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!! Gonna keep reviewing today, hoping to get a good night's rest tonight.. We'll see...

Russ
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Good luck tomorrow, Russ from Tukwila! Seattle in the house! (Off topic, but I go to that southcenter mall all the time.. funny)

I've been prepping for this exam on and off again for awhile now. Little interruptions turn into bigger ones, etc. But I've been at it hard the past couple weeks.. I'm thinking another month or so and I'll be ready.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    superjerelmansuperjerelman Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good Luck!
    BS:IT from WGU.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Knock it out of the park man....it feels great to get SWITCH out of the way and i'm sure you will!
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    Best of luck!! I'm going to be booking mine for the end of next week providing my next Boson practice exam goes well tomorrow.

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • Options
    No good. Failed with a 748. Already submitted a request for a retake voucher to Cisco.

Felt I hit all requirements on the simlets, scored 92 on FHRPs, and still failed. Some jacked up questions on this exam, ladies and gents.

I strongly recommend anyone who fails it submit a retake voucher request, citing forum complaints.

Given my performance on the some and the weird questions, I am not even sure what I would change in my studies for the retest.

Russ
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sorry to hear it man. Hit the books and get back to it!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    What materials have you used to prepare? What books? Used practice exams?

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pogue wrote: »
    No good. Failed with a 748.

Given my performance on the some and the weird questions, I am not even sure what I would change in my studies for the retest.

Sorry, mate. What does your score sheet show?

If you made the mistake of studying only the Cisco Press book, if you didn't already know, it doesn't cover several exam topics due to the rush to press, so the author's blog covers those gaps. It's important to read up on those gaps, or you'll find yourself underprepared.

From the SWITCH OCG's reviews--

"Dave Hucaby is a great writer and has done a tremendous job explaining the
    material in the book, however, this book alone will not prepare you for the
    exam. There are topics missing from the book, which you can find at Dave's blog
    at [...] or at the cisco press website here [...] located under the download link."
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    One of the local Net Academy site's near me has posted for books required for the CCNA Switch exam to purchase both the FLG and OCG since they both have gaps in coverage but not in the same areas.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    CCNP Switching Simplified from Cisco CCNA | CCNP Certification Training Site, the Cisco Press FLG, study sheets from Packetlife.net, CBTNuggets, INE cbts....

Haven't really done any practice exams. Are the Transcenders any good for this exam?

Scored lowest on security extension of a layer 2 solution and implementing a Switch based layer 3 services.

These two I felt comfortable with, yet some of the questions seem intentionally obfuscated. Plus there were questions about commands that were not in any of my study materials.
  • Options
    Sorry, mate. What does your score sheet show?

If you made the mistake of studying only the Cisco Press book, if you didn't already know, it doesn't cover several exam topics due to the rush to press, so the author's blog covers those gaps. It's important to read up on those gaps, or you'll find yourself underprepared.

Do you have the link to his blog?? I'm using the FLG and downloaded the OCG supplements which were added after publishing: CCNP SWITCH 642-813 Official Certification Guide

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    pogue wrote: »
    CCNP Switching Simplified from Cisco CCNA | CCNP Certification Training Site, the Cisco Press FLG, study sheets from Packetlife.net, CBTNuggets, INE cbts....
    Switching Simplified was my only source for exam theory.
    Do you have the link to his blog??
    http://dhucaby.wordpress.com/category/ccnp-switch/
  • Options
    Nate--IRL--Nate--IRL-- Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Note in the edition I have of the OCG, those "Missing" topics from his blog are in an appendix at the back of the book.

Nate