Options

All this for 65K

I applied for this position. Sent in my resume, HR asked me some prelim questions, and then said, "The salary is 65K". Does that sound even close for this?

The UNIX/LINUX System Administrator performs system maintenance and security activities related to FISMA technical controls to include security patching, vulnerability mitigation, auditing, contingency test planning, and document preparation for on-going accreditation and authorization activities.

The UNIX/LINUX System Administrator performs upgrades and routine maintenance to hardware and operating systems; makes sure that all Linux servers have the backup client and KACE installed; analyzes and troubleshoots problems; contacts and communicates with vendors for technical support.

Primary Responsibilities:

• Performs Unix, Linux, and Windows systems administration for all systems included in the system security plan in support of the Research Aircraft Integration Facility (RAIF).

• Build new or modify existing workstations or computers in the RAIF or DAOF simulation labs to including: High speed network rings (scram net) and routers, Avionics buses (Mil-STD 1553 and ARINC), PCM encoders, IRIB-B Time cards, Multi-function I/O.

• Define and configure Microsoft Windows/Linux on PC systems that are optimized for high performance 3D graphics software (RT3D).

• Re-compile LINUX kernels.

• Compile or build customized tools or drivers (i.e. GNU compilers and custom hardware drivers)

• Responsible for hardware configuration, performance tuning, and generation of metrics.

• Manages file systems and configuration, and provides recommendations regarding systems performance. Troubleshoots and resolves problems as they arise.

• Attend CCB (Configuration Control Board) meetings in order to provide advice, answer questions and give estimates on the time required to complete tasks.

• Communicate status, issues, and concerns to the RAIF engineering staff.

• Provides documentation for standard configuration and workflow processes.

The ideal candidate will have in-depth knowledge of, and practical experience with:

• Solaris 9, 10, and 11; LDAP. Linux RedHat, Debian, and Ubuntu; Windows: XP, 7 and Server 2003-08 operating systems. Computer Hardware: Sun / Dell / HP & Specialized Computers.

• Basic networking skills including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP,and WIMS; knowledge of Cisco switches and routers. RequirementsThe UNIX/LINUX System Administrator position requires:

• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a closely related field with at least three years of related work experience with designing/developing and performing UNIX or Linux and Windows system administration duties. In lieu of the Bachelor’s Degree, a High School Diploma or High School Equivalency with at least eight years of related work experience.

Comments

• Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    Why don't you just break it down into what they're actually asking with the jargon removed:

build new workstations, install linux, change kernel config and compile, install kernel modules, troubleshoot, and write documentation.

Sounds like a typical admin gig to me. 65k might be good for Arizona? Especially since it sounds like a Military contractor/civil service position.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Agree with pram. Get rid of all the tech speak and its basically an admin job. The pay sounds about right.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Agree also. Given the experience/education desired it sounds about right.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know, it seems a bit ambiguous as to how advanced they really expect your knowledge to be. I'm usually the first to say the listed job requirements are often exaggerated, but the description here gives me the impression they're looking for someone more senior. On the other hand, the requirement of only three years + BS does seem to indicate a more mid-level position. Either way, $65K is at least a reasonable starting point, and possibly a reasonable ceiling, given the low experience requirement.

What I would say is that if you are overqualified, it is worth making that case to HR. I'm guessing they would go as high as $85K for someone with significant qualifications.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Actually, it is back in California where my home is, but out in the middle of no where.
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think salary sounds about right. I use to live in AZ, 65K can go a long way there (cost of living is lower in AZ than most cities/states).

Edit: With the job being in Cali, I really can't say if that's a decent salary or not.
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    brownwrap wrote: »
    Actually, it is back in California where my home is, but out in the middle of no where.

If you have a permanent job right now then dont do it. I actually know that job. lol
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    NOC-Ninja wrote: »
    If you have a permanent job right now then dont do it. I actually know that job. lol

I do have a permanent job now, I only considered it because it was closer to home. I'm 500 miles away now, that would be 100 miles away. NOC-Ninja, I'd like to hear what you know about this position. We can discuss this privately.