Options

Have an Interview!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Today I applied for a support position (I know, I'm trying to get away from it, but this position should allow me to move around) at another university. They called an hour later, did a quick interview to give me some details and asked me to come in tomorrow at 3! Will be a pay raise and actual free education compared to what I receive currently!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck, I hope you knock the interview out!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I felt the interview went very well! It was for a support position at the law school, but it appears that their IT Department will be taking over the entire campus within the next six months. Going to be busy, but should be able to touch a lot of different technology (VMWare, Citrix, etc). Plus educational benefits start day one, so I need only to apply and I am good to go. They want me to come in again for to meet the team and then I should know. I'm pretty sure I got it because they asked what the first class I was going to take would be ;)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    ScsmarttScsmartt Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Best of luck m8!
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Sounds awesome. Best of luck!
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations. Even if it's a lateral move, sounds like it'll give you a better career path.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Cool man ! judging from your other post it really seemed you are ready to move. Cheers to bigger and better opportunities drunken_smilie.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Thanks all! Definitely will be nice to control the infrastructure (network, server, phones) and not have to deal with the mother may I crap.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    Got an email today, they want to schedule the second interview for sometime this week. Good sign getting contacted on a Sunday.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bring it home!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    Congrats and good luck!!!
  • Options
    zekebzekeb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How did your interview turn out? Good luck!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Good sign getting contacted on a Sunday.

Or might be a sing that these people work too much. :D

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Awesome! +1 on the free education.... I would love that

Good luck with it!
  • Options
    Interview will be tomorrow, I'll post after ;) They are taking me to lunch to meet the team!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    itsgonnahappenitsgonnahappen Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds very promising. Being someone who's worked in a similar environment, the second interview is basically revolved around fit. You're on a roll, keep it up!
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Interview will be tomorrow, I'll post after ;) They are taking me to lunch to meet the team!

Sounds like an awesome opportunity, good luck!
  • Options
    I felt that the "interview" went very well. Got to see the dynamic of the team and to see how much they are doing. Sent in my references, so we shall see.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I received the call that I did get the position. While excited about it, I took the weekend to consider the offer and will be declining it. I did like the free education and all the interesting things they worked on, but there were a couple of hangups. First, it would be a lateral move that would result in a pay cut. Now I don't make a ton, but I didn't want to have to take a paycut. Two, I didn't like how they went about checking up on me. I used one of the managers where I currently work as a professional reference and he happens to have the same name as my current boss. They asked if he was my boss and then asked for the last name of my current boss. Obviously, I don't have an issue with them speaking with my current boss I'd prefer a heads up with they wanted to do that.

Also, I got a call from the Director of Operations at my previous job. He stated he had gotten a call in regards to me and was asked a number of questions. I am on really good terms with him (and the company in general), but a heads up to the fact that they wanted to speak with them would have been nice. My thought is, what if I had a pending lawsuit against the company and you call for a reference? Technically, they are only suppose to give dates, but there isn't much in a way to stop them from bashing me. It was definitely a little big brother ish, considering it was just an IT job. I've been in law enforcement and been through my fair share of background checks, but at least they tell you they are going to do it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff