Options

SSCP Study materials

maronvomramaronvomra Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I was just searching for forums/discussions on SSCP/CISSP and came through this site. I am impressed by reading all these posts which are very useful and also sharing the experience of the exams.

I ordered the Shon Harris book for SSCP and also got the official book on SSCP just today. While going through the official book it seemed like it can be finished within 2 weeks. Don't know about Shon harris one though. Now my question is how hard the sscp exam really is, which, I know it varies person to person but still in general sense. Because what I have read so far are all like basic security stuffs and pretty high level not that deep.

I registered for SSCP on Oct19 (CBT) just to get the idea of (ISC)2 exams as I am planning to give my CISSP this December.
Are these 2 books enough to pass the sscp?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Started last week to study and reading only AIO. Oct-19 is my exam. I don't know the depth of the exam though. Will find out I guess.

I tried to do sample questions from cccure.org which made me puzzled as lots of questions I think are from 1st edition of official book. As I don't find those terms in either AIO or the new official book. Then I found them in previous edition of official Book. So I just forget about this cccure thing.

Will finish the AIO and if have time go through ACL, cryptography from official book.
  • Options
    anothergeekanothergeek Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck, Let me know how you do I am planning on taking this exam next month.
    GCIH, CEH, CHFI, EDRP, Sec +, ITIL
  • Options
    ok, 2 days before the exam. I finished the AIO. Didn't memorize anything but some things I already know by heart like layers, ports stuff. But if the question is like for SDLC which step comes after this step then I will be sorry.

read a little bit the official book which is more or less same as AIO but more raw and dry. Tried some question from the back for ACL but I think the answers there are wrong for some.

Can't spend that much time next 2 days for reading as I have to work 10hr shifts so I wish myself best of luck.. :)
  • Options
    ok.. after an intense battle of 2 hrs I end my exam..
    I dont know how many times I have read each question; its insane.

[EDIT]

Study material: All in one by Gibson. Read only ACL and cryptography from official 2nd edition book.
    Tried cccure.org once but when saw they were asking questions from 1st edition official book I stopped. Thats it.
    My Background: 5 yrs of linux system admin+programming+2 yrs MS in Security
    So dont just read AIO; that would be my recommendations; it depends person to person.
    So finally when I cleared the locker she gave me the print copy and it says Congratulations...............:D

CISSP here I come in Dec ..

Thank you all...
  • Options
    hi moderator,
    can you please remove my last thread .. I think I posted to many info for the exam. ... thanks...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Congratulations on passing the SSCP exam! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Thank you .. Now I am going for a vacation and will start for cissp after I come back on Nov15. my CISSP exam is on Dec27.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck on the CISSP. And congrats on the SSCP.

BTW - just curious, why did you take the SSCP if you planning to take the CISSP within a few months?
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    @maranvomra. Congratulations on the pass. Good luck with the CISSP.
    paul78 wrote: »
    BTW - just curious, why did you take the SSCP if you planning to take the CISSP within a few months?

I can't speak for the original poster, but I know that many people use the SSCP as a stepping stone to the CISSP. It's challenging but easier than the CISSP and the experience of studying the materials, and taking and passing the exam is good preparation for the CISSP. In contrast, many people that pursue the CISSP only, get intimidated by the sheer volume of material and either don't follow through for one reason or another, or fail the exam the first time they take it. Even if life events prevent someone from taking the CISSP after passing the SSCP, they still have the SSCP certification.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Yes, I definitely went for the SSCP as a way to study for the CISSP. Because of my SSCP, I knew what the (ISC)2 paper-based testing experience would be like, although the venues used for the two exams were completely different (a budget hotel conference room versus a grand ballroom), and there is differences in the form and function betwteen the exam items. Having the SSCP is beneficial for passing the CISSP on the first go, but from a purely career-enhancing aspect, I would still advise going straight for the CISSP if you already have the experience for the full cert.
  • Options
    @Paul: actually this is my first security certificate. All the other certifications I had was on linux/solaris platform. Since everybody says it takes good prep. for CISSP so I wanted to start with something to get myself familiar with. Besides work and playing ps3 I have plenty time to waste on certifications. :D I normally take certifications every 2/3 months to keep myself busy. So finally agree on this one with Darril and JDMurray.
    And thank you all for your amazing help and support and looking forward when preparing for my CISSP.
  • Options
    Hi all,

I am back from vacation. Since Dec27 is my CISSP exam so I was thinking which strategy should I take.
    Should I go for cissp dummies and 11th hour cissp so that I get the gist of cissp first and then start with AIO or the other way around?
    Ooh whenever I see the AIO I feel sleepy. so which way you guyz suggest for me will be better to go for since I have almost a month left.icon_rolleyes.gif