Options

ICND2 Lab setup

steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
It's been a few months since I passed the CCENT back in June, and I am now gearing up to start studying for the ICND2 test. The lab setup that has served me well consists of 2-2621XM routers 32/128 and 3-2950 switches.

I have not started into Odems ICND2 book yet but I am thinking of setting up a frame relay router to go with the other 2621xm's that I have to practice the Frame Relay labs. I was setting up the labs that I was doing with the csu/dsu cards that I threw into the routers to get me by for the ICND1 but I am looking at getting the serial cards and setting it up that way now.

My question is, what device do I get for the frame relay router? Do I just get another 2621xm and put the necessary module in it to permit it to be used as a frame relay device? Which module do I need? I'm assuming it is a 4 port serial module?

Is there another way?

I would prefer to use the serial cards as apposed to the csu/dsu setup.

I'm a little lost here, and a little direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    You don't need to have a 4 port serial module, you could do frame relay switching using serial WICs. You don't need a specific device type for frame relay, so I'd recommend either another 2600xm or maybe a 1721 with 32F -- the WICs are interchangeable and the 1721 is usually much cheaper (just remember to get the power supply since it's an external brick). If you don't have any serial WICs (WIC-1T or WIC-2T) then I'd suggest getting 3 of the WIC-2T cards. You'd also need cables compatible with the WICs you get. If you go with the WIC-2T's, I'd get a third cable.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    You can also look at nonXM 2600s. I saw a few on eBay in the 30-40 dollar range. Throw in a nm-4a/s or 2 wic-2ts in there and you should be good to go.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/81293-how-study-ccent-ccna-tutorial.html

R1 - A 2501 16/16 12.3.24 Router
    R2 - A 2501 16/16 12.3.24 Router
    R3 - A 2514 16/16 12.3.24 Router (also cable/dsl nat/pat router)
    FRS - A 2520 16/16 12.3.24 4 port serial router so you can do your frame-relay labs.

Ill add another reply to it. I'm unable to directly edit the first post of the thread.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    steve2012steve2012 Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you,

Steve