Options

maybe not motivated anymore...

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
My CCENT expires this year in the month of May. I've not been able to pass the ICND2 exam over the past two to three years. My tests scores have ranged from the 6XX range to the max of 814. I've spent a little under 1000 on the retakes. Money I could have spent using on something else. I believe that if you know the material then you should do well on the tests but I don't have the CCNA yet.

I thought it would be wise to take a break and forget some things then start over but I started to read the book and I just found the material very boring and I didn't want to read it anymore.

I've read three different books for the CCNA. Watched the videos on the areas that I'm having trouble on. Created many labs and used actual hardware. I've also used Chris Bryant's guides.

Over time it seems that it's not worth it anymore. I can't run to Juniper because I'm sure I'll fail in the same areas that I'm failing in the CCNA exam.

As much as I study routing protocols and Frame Relay, it seems that I don't understand it because the test scores says I don't from the percentages.

So anyone got any advice?

I think that maybe the whole CCNA test might work for me but people have told me that I shouldn't do it because I have to study the ICND1 stuff again. Well I gotta study it again anyways because I need to retake the ICND1. Or I could go after the CCDA exam.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Maybe this just isn't the area of IT for you. Some people are into networking and some aren't. If you find it that boring maybe you should look into other areas. If you do think this is for you then you just have to buckle down and learn the stuff. No other way around it.

What ever you decide I wish you the best of luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    IT is not just about networking. There's servers, virtualization, database, programming, analysis, security, etc.. i don't even know.

Why don't you take a short break, then think about what you'd really like to learn. Something that won't be as boring maybe.

Good luck finding your passion =)
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say start with IP Subnetting...if you don't know that topic inside and out, then you'll be spinning your wheels when you try to learn routing.

Once you can subnet in your head in under 20 seconds, then you can move on to learning other topics. Aside from the CCNA, I've found that most people who struggle with networking don't understand subnetting well or why it is used. In the same vein, learn the OSI model and use every resource you can find to understand it.

Once you have these building blocks under your belt, then go back and start working on the CCNA objectives
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    Like everyone else said you gotta find what you really like doing. Maybe you want to go do servers or database..etc. There are many different paths you can take. If there are certain things that are getting you try posting on TE and see if someone can clear it for you. There is a study group for that is starting here soon, I would try to get on there. Either way good luck.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    try Jeremy Choara`s book. It cuts the chase and dives into the important stuff. It has more practice questions, and at the end 4 practice tests.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    Also check out INE CCNA video`s. Looks like more detailed than others like CBT or Train Signal. I personally have CBT and Train Signal, but some1 i know has INE CCNA and i had a chance to check out a few videos, and i liked it.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    MischiefMischief Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    INE has a Free CCNA routing and Switching Promo going on
    24 hours of video free if you stream itCCNA Associate Course - 640-802

Free Flash cards
    Account Log In

Good luck on your studies
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    vinbuck wrote: »
    I would say start with IP Subnetting...if you don't know that topic inside and out, then you'll be spinning your wheels when you try to learn routing.

Once you can subnet in your head in under 20 seconds, then you can move on to learning other topics. Aside from the CCNA, I've found that most people who struggle with networking don't understand subnetting well or why it is used. In the same vein, learn the OSI model and use every resource you can find to understand it.

Once you have these building blocks under your belt, then go back and start working on the CCNA objectives

I love this (vinbuck) idea of picking subnetting and getting really good with it and THEN moving on with exam topics. Also, learn the OSI inside and out because this is an easy low-lying fruit you can easily grab with simple reading! You have to pick one topic and subnetting and OSI are easy and fun first targets. You have to have the discipline and patience to master subnetting in 20 seconds before moving on to OSI and reallyu vice-versa too!