Options

New job and Light at the end of the tunnel for you future CCNPs

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
For those of you who are slogging it out in the CCNP trenches, there are great rewards waiting on you. icon_smile.gif

A couple of weeks ago I started dabbling with my resume to see what interest there might be after earning my CCNP. I am now on the verge of signing an offer with a well known enterprise for six figures to be a lead net engineer and hopefully architect in the future.

I absolutely love networking but like NetworkVeteran, I am a bit of a mercenary icon_smile.gif

The job specifically requested a CCNP as the most important credential. I know i'm preaching to the choir, but wanted to give an extra morale boost to those of you who are putting in the massive hours to get through ROUTE,SWITCH and TSHOOT. I've been there and now the knowledge I gained along the way is paying off big time - both professionally and financially.

Keep the faith!
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats! Great story. Thats the spirit of this community: work hard and you'll be rewarded.
  • Options
    Carl_S_901Carl_S_901 Member Posts: 105
    SWEET!!!!

And of course, GRATZ!
    Carl S.

Check out my personal certification journey blog
    http://carlscertjourney.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Dude, very awesome! Big Congrats!! How many years experience do you have in networking, if I may ask?
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    Thanks y'all

@Mr Brian

Ive got about 10 years experience in server/desktop/networking for small business and government

More recently i've spent the last 3 years as a Network Engineer for a service provider.
  • Options
    wavewave Member Posts: 342
    I appreciate your post vinbuck! My eyes really enjoyed reading that! I have similar (~10 years) experience but have been an IT generalist, everything from desktop/server to programming. Once I've knocked out SWITCH (test in two weeks) and TSHOOT I will be on the job hunt.

Congrats!!!!!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • Options
    Henry is GodHenry is God Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations man.

I don't think you would have got a sniff without your 10 years experience though. The certs are all good and show, most of the time, you know your stuff but the majority of jobs at the level you are talking about will demand some serious experience.
  • Options
    Well...I made it official today and resigned my current position and start at my new gig next week. Doesnt look like ill be touching CCIE for a bit until I get settled and get to know the network a little bit.

It looks like ill be getting heavy Nexus experience which will be a bit of a change from the 7600s I typically play with. Im excited though
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for the extra bit of motivation! I just passed my CCNA recently and am looking to doing the CCNP in the next year.