Options

Is the A+....hard?

itguy20itguy20 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I am new to this forum and I have been in the IT industry for about 2years. I'm working for APEX Systems but I love that company. But I dont like searching for a new contract every 2-3months which most of you probably know how that is. I dont have my BS degree so my boss is making me take this test to get my A+, and Net+.

Now everytime I take the A+ practices test on here for the full 100 questions. I get around 80 to 87% of the questions right and I never study for the test. Is there a trick to it? I already have my I already have my MCTS for exam 70-640 and 70-642.

And my last question is, when I get my master degree in IT, will I ever have to worry about certifications? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    superjerelmansuperjerelman Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should be fine if your getting 80 - 87% on practice tests for A+, if you really want to check your readiness go to CompTIA.com and try out their practice test. I was only getting 70% (which is failing) on CompTIA.com, I passed the real thing just fine. For 701 you have to get 675 which is about 65% of the questions right, 702 you have to get a 700 Which is about 70%. So as long as you can pass CompTIA's practice test with about an 80% you should be find, you still might want to brush up on some topics though.

Even if you get your master's degree, employers most likely will still want certs.
    BS:IT from WGU.
  • Options
    Thanks, I mean I love servers, and database work. Its fun and different in a way. But when my boss or account manager whom ever you want to call him said I have too. I was kind of confuse. But are certifications just another way to prove to your employer that you know your stuff? Im going to try to take the Cert Monday or Friday. Its the second part of the A+ test that make me scratch my head.

Wait, if I get my A+ and Net+. Not that I can just add them on my Resume. But I can use them to skip some classes for my BS degree program. That awesome in a way. After the A+ and Net+, that when people split up in to there advance certs right? This can be use as a stepping stone?
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    As long as you glance over some of the memorization thing you should be good to go. I think generally (what I am doing) people do the A+,Net+ and Security+ then go onto CCNA or Microsoft certs. I am going to Cisco after I do Linux+ and Network+ probably.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    The 702 is your practical applications, where's stuff at in the OS, can I put ram in, can I take a hard drive out and can I reformat it, can I fix this, and can I troubleshoot that to fix this problem what is the root cause for these problems, if you know how to navigate the OS, and if you've worked with XP, Vista and 7 you should be fine. The A+ cert is a fundamental cert for hardware and software, do I know my way around the OS at a beginner to intermeted level, do I know how to toubleshoot and fix these basic hardware problems, do I know how to troubleshoot and fix these basic Software and OS problems, do I know how to setup, troubleshoot and fix these basic network problems (like ssid and wireless encryption), and do I know how to troubleshoot and fix these basic malware problems.

Network+ is I have a strong basic foundation in networking, I understand what topologies are, I know and understand the OSI Model and what layer does what (you really need to know the OSI model for this exam), I know and understand what port numbers are (you need to know your port numbers), I know and understand wireless technology, and I know and understand how to troubleshoot and fix networks at a basic level, also know your acronym .

These two certs are what you fall back on in your day to day job, these are your basic duty's for most companies out there at any given time
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    You passed 640 and 642, but still need A+? I know it's different, but nonetheless... Should be pretty easy. Read about the stuff you don't know or have questions.
  • Options
    But are certifications just another way to prove to your employer that you know your stuff?

Most certifications do, but it's a 50/50 type of thing, you have some people who can pass a certification and can't do the job, you have those who have no certifications and can run circles around those who do have them, but it's only a rare few who have certifications that don't know what they are doing, certifications also help employers decide between candidates, if you have two candidates and they both have identical qualifications, but one has a certification in that particular area the employer is needing and the other doesn't the employer might go with the one who has the certification.

But I can use them to skip some classes for my BS degree program.

That's what I liked most about WGU.

After the A+ and Net+, that when people split up in to there advance certs right? This can be use as a stepping stone?

Yes, most do and that's what I did.

You passed 640 and 642, but still need A+? I know it's different, but nonetheless...

I know, I was thinking the same thing!
  • Options
    At my local community college. They have tons of IT programs here. They have Information Technology, Computer Engineering, and programming. But I if you do the Computer Engineering Technology. You have three choices on what path you want too achieve. There Cisco, Microsoft, and Cybersecurity. But I pick the Microsoft and there tons over server stuff. And if you pass the class, you get your cert.

But when I look up a testing center to take my A+ exam its nice I can take it at my school, lucky me. But with me, I should have my SQL Server 2008 72-432 and my 72-680 for the windows 7 that I had to take that class over again because I miss the final exam date....because I went to Atlanta and got a D in the class, and a D in my school is a fail grade in your IT courses. So my bad...
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You should be fine if your getting 80 - 87% on practice tests for A+, if you really want to check your readiness go to CompTIA.com and try out their practice test....snip.

Never considered attempting CompTIA practice test. Great advice, thanks.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    itguy20 wrote: »
    But I pick the Microsoft and there tons over server stuff. And if you pass the class, you get your cert.
    You might like to double-check the information you're getting. Microsoft never gives credit for a certification by passing a college class.

And I'll echo what superjerelman mentioned. "Even if you get your master's degree, employers most likely will still want certs." A degree shows the ability to complete a large scale project and a higher level of education. A certification shows relevant knowledge for a current area of technology.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Darril wrote:
    You might like to double-check the information you're getting. Microsoft never gives credit for a certification by passing a college class....

This is why after I'm done with my Associates next semester I'm going full throttle with certs and certs only. No sense in picking up more student loans when I could spend that money on certs or even land a gig that will pay for my certs.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's nice to see someone on these boards who lives in the same city that I work :)
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens