Options

Ios 6

gunbunnysouljagunbunnysoulja Member Posts: 353
Anyone else upgrade to IOS 6 yet? So far is seems pretty good on my 4s. Definitely like the map improvements (3D/Siri voice based), panoramic photos, facebook upload integration, and it seems faster.
WGU BSITStart Date: July 1, 2013
In Progress: CJV1 (4 CU)
Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)
Completed: MGC1, TPV1, CUV1 (14 CU)
Remaining: BOV1, BNC1, TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TPC1, SBT1, QZT1 (22 CU)

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Ah yes, turn by turn and 3d maps, something we android uses have enjoyed for years!
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Is it available for you already? It's not showing up on my 4 or 3GS. I may keep it off one or the other just for a bit, not that I'll still be using the 3GS for very long.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Im sure IOS 6 won't be available for the 3GS. If it's anything like IOS 5, 3GS will be dropped for support. and the 4 will become "Next to be dropped, next year"

Rinse and repeat every year.

My fiance doesn't like her 3GS, because with IOS 5 or whatever it's at, it brings the phone to a crawl.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    IOS 6 is available for 3GS (as well as 4, 4s, 5, iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPod Touch 4th gen)

If you are a developer, you can access IOS 6 now (or via leaked GM through lifehacker post, although I am not suggesting this method).

I agree IOS is BEHIND the times when it comes to the Android counterparts. And while I am typically anti-apple products (just like Monster Cable, Bose, etc), I do however actually like the iPhone products.
    Transfered: WFV1, TJP1, CLC1, INC1, INT1, EUP1, EUC1, BVC1, GAC1, DHV1, DIV1, CWV1, CRV1, DEV1, CTV1, DJV1, IWC1, IWT1, CVV1, RIT1, CIC1, CJC1, TBP1, TCP1, EAV1, EBV1, TJC1, AGC1 (82 CU)

• Options
    I'll just wait for the regular release, I suppose.

There's no question iOS lacks features that many Android phones like. However, most of those features are not compelling for me -- at least not compelling enough to lose my iPhone. It took multi-touch and quite a few apps to get me to switch to iPhone from BlackBerry. I don't like any Android interface I've seen (other than one that happens to be pretty similar to iOS ;) ). I don't like the platform inconsistencies and irregularities, and I love what's available in the App Store. I'm fairly invested into my apps as well, between my iPhone and iPad, so it would be hard to switch.

I don't like iTunes and I don't like Mac OSX. I like Windows and I love my iOS devices. I'm very excited for iOS 6 and iPhone 5, and I'll be pre-ordering soon. It's not a revolutionary change, and I'm not under any illusions about what the product is or isn't. I just wanted a thinner, taller iPhone with better battery life, more horsepower, and better Facebook integration. I'm getting exactly what I wanted.
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
  • Options
    ptilsen,

we share the exact same opinions :)

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Haha saw that posted on my company Yammer yesterday. Too funny.

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ah yes, turn by turn and 3d maps, something we android uses have enjoyed for years!

Google Maps had 3D maps on Android for years? I switched a few years ago and don't remember having that feature on any of my android phones....

Anyways I am looking forward to iOS 6 for my iPad mostly. Getting my wife the new iPhone but paying full price, sooo done with contracts going to look at the pre paid plans from other carriers.

I am about one more month from throwing my Droid Razr in the garbage. Copy and Paste and Chrome has been giving me a headache. Cursor like to fly around different fields and the Razr has a semi regular issue where if I make or receive a call I can hear the caller but they can't hear me so I have to reboot.

Probably going to get a Nexus phone or the iPhone 5.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    tbh im looking at getting away from a smartphone and back to a reg one

if i have a tablet with a good offline maps im set
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    tbh im looking at getting away from a smartphone and back to a reg one

if i have a tablet with a good offline maps im set

I had an idea for making a smartphone that could convert to a dumb phone. You activate standard mode the screen goes dark except a tiny grey screen with a clock on it. The back has a standard keypad. Kills GPS, Data, etc and in that mode the battery runs for weeks lol.

My Razr battery time is measured in minutes....
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, I came into this thread thinking that the new iOS was out already. I read the first line, pulled out my phone, opened iTunes and then plugged it in. Alas, no update. Grrr!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    All this talk about iOS6, iPhone 5, and Android and nothing said about the Windows devices. Having used all three several times over, I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on the Windows Phone bandwagon.
  • Options
    I am pretty unimpressed with Windows phone usability and apps. I'd be willing to play with one again, but last time I did I really did not like it. It was flashy and pretty but less usable than iOS, Android, even BlackBerry 6 and 7.
  • Options
    If I give up on Android and wanted a good more economical phone I would look at Windows phone. I just am a bit leery due to the Windows 7 phone fast **** Microsoft did to the Nokia. I might give it a try though because I don't want to pay the unlock price for iPhone 5 even though I like the App store much more. I use the iPad app store mostly though so it should not matter too much.
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Well, I came into this thread thinking that the new iOS was out already. I read the first line, pulled out my phone, opened iTunes and then plugged it in. Alas, no update. Grrr!

Oops... Sorry! icon_sad.gif

• Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Google Maps had 3D maps on Android for years? I switched a few years ago and don't remember having that feature on any of my android phones....

Anyways I am looking forward to iOS 6 for my iPad mostly. Getting my wife the new iPhone but paying full price, sooo done with contracts going to look at the pre paid plans from other carriers.

I am about one more month from throwing my Droid Razr in the garbage. Copy and Paste and Chrome has been giving me a headache. Cursor like to fly around different fields and the Razr has a semi regular issue where if I make or receive a call I can hear the caller but they can't hear me so I have to reboot.

Probably going to get a Nexus phone or the iPhone 5.

We tested both android platforms and the Nexus hardware was far better than the Motorola. That is assuming that Apple doesn't sue all Samsung phones off the shelves.

3D maps through me for a second since my TomTom calls "3D" when you are positioned behind the car - as far as having built up buildings and the like - not sure. I know that since Android 1.6 or 2.0 they have supported turn by turn directions where the position of the watcher is right behind the car (My "3D" view on TomTom) and does a fairly good job of it.

Google Maps Navigation for mobile
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I'll just wait for the regular release, I suppose.

There's no question iOS lacks features that many Android phones like. However, most of those features are not compelling for me -- at least not compelling enough to lose my iPhone. It took multi-touch and quite a few apps to get me to switch to iPhone from BlackBerry. I don't like any Android interface I've seen (other than one that happens to be pretty similar to iOS ;) ). I don't like the platform inconsistencies and irregularities, and I love what's available in the App Store. I'm fairly invested into my apps as well, between my iPhone and iPad, so it would be hard to switch.

I don't like iTunes and I don't like Mac OSX. I like Windows and I love my iOS devices. I'm very excited for iOS 6 and iPhone 5, and I'll be pre-ordering soon. It's not a revolutionary change, and I'm not under any illusions about what the product is or isn't. I just wanted a thinner, taller iPhone with better battery life, more horsepower, and better Facebook integration. I'm getting exactly what I wanted.

I had the opposite reaction, I went to an iPhone 4s after years on an Android and switched back to Android after a month. I couldn't handle the small screen (less of an issue now, I suppose) and I like how the apps work on the Android better. After holding down the icon on the iphone 4s expecting a sub-menu, or expecting a sub menu soft key within apps, and not getting anything - I traded up to a Nexus.
  • Options
    Yeah if I stick with Android it's only going to be Nexus. I saw an article that said Google was telling Motorola to **** all low end phones so hopefully we will see a consolidation of Android around a lower amount of devices. Maybe Microsoft will buy Nokia and focus Windows on Nokia.

One big reason I preferred iOS was apps mainly but I am so integrated with Google now.
  • Options
    The main stuff I am looking forward to is:

Shared Photostream

iCloud Tabs in Safari (For some reason Google Chrome sync stopped working for me no longer connects)

Accessibility - Guided Access: I can disable the home button and block out parts of an app to essentially disable parts of the touch screen, prevents my son from clicking the home button or clicking on parts of the app when I am doing an educational game with him.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tpatt100: how can you do that, also is there a free app that disables the device "ipod touch" at certain times of the day?
  • Options
    I just rooted my Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.1, I then tapped my phone against my wife's similar phone (which "beams" files between the phones) to get a picture she had taken. I tested 4G tethering - worked like a charm. I voice instructed my phone to find a route to the Microsoft store which routed around a huge accident, which it did whilst giving me turn by turn directions with a much improved electronic voice.

Before I rooted my phone I wasn't concerned about losing all my stuff - not because I backed it up with iTunes (that tongue in cheek) but because all of my important stuff is kept with Google. Which is handy when I switch jobs or carriers where I inevitably get a new Android. For a long time google had kept my contacts and pictures - via picasa - stored off my phone in the 'cloud'. Imagine my bemusement when iCloud came out with that feature long after google had added it.

Although it doesn't respond with silly anecdotes to stupid questions like Siri does...
  • Options
    I just rooted my Galaxy Nexus with Android 4.1, I then tapped my phone against my wife's similar phone (which "beams" files between the phones) to get a picture she had taken. I tested 4G tethering - worked like a charm. I voice instructed my phone to find a route to the Microsoft store which routed around a huge accident, which it did whilst giving me turn by turn directions with a much improved electronic voice.

Before I rooted my phone I wasn't concerned about losing all my stuff - not because I backed it up with iTunes (that tongue in cheek) but because all of my important stuff is kept with Google. Which is handy when I switch jobs or carriers where I inevitably get a new Android. For a long time google had kept my contacts and pictures - via picasa - stored off my phone in the 'cloud'. Imagine my bemusement when iCloud came out with that feature long after google had added it.

Although it doesn't respond with silly anecdotes to stupid questions like Siri does...

Cool but what does this have to do with the topic?

oh it's the Android > Apple thing again.
  • Options
    I was being a little tongue in cheek. The world erupts when apple releases a new feature, as if it had just been invented at that very moment. When my buddies at work get their update to iOS 6 I have no doubt we will go test all the new features. Since we are proper nerds icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    It does get invented at that moment for iOS, if Apple announces it then if your phone is going to be the new phone, the current one or the last one odds are you can get it at the release date. Any time I see a new Android feature I have to wait a year or two to get it and by the time I get it I forgot what it was I was supposed to be excited about..

I saw the ICS improvements last year got it a couple of months ago, heard of Jelly Bean back in June but since I got ICS that month I figure I am sol for Jelly Bean lol.

That is why it is Nexus or iPhone for me now. No third parties lol.