Options

WGU Mentor

IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
Can someone pm me the name of a great mentor for my BS-IT at WGU? From the discussions here on Techexams.net I get the impression that I can select my mentor or, at least, have my request given some consideration.
Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]

Comments

• Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I love my mentor. However, I don't lean on her for anything, so I really can't say if she is a good mentor to have if you require a lot of external support. I had to prove myself in the beginning, but once I did, she's let me be 100% in control of my classes, fulfills my voucher requests within hours (normal business hours that is), etc.

I'll PM her name to you.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I will second what KGB said. Honestly, the only thing I need from my mentor, is for him to respond to my emails in a timely manner. After passing a few courses in a timely manner and proving I know exactly when I"m ready for the performance assessment, I was 100% in control.
  • Options
    Thanks, kgb. That sounds like the kind of mentor I am looking for. I don't need a babysitter. I need someone who'll let me reorder the courses the way I see fit (after I've proven that I know what I am doing, of course!)
  • Options
    Thanks, Yuck (I can't bring myself to use your whole name being from the Big Apple, myself). That's exactly what I am looking for.
  • Options
    Any other suggestions? I have only received one name so far.
  • Options
    redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    If you're self motivated you don't really rely on them that much. They have to push some buttons and that's it.
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Any other suggestions? I have only received one name so far.

I just PM'd you the name of my mentor.
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    redline5th wrote: »
    If you're self motivated you don't really rely on them that much. They have to push some buttons and that's it.

I agree with what you're saying, but unfortunately from some of the threads I've read there is definitely a difference between mentors. While at the end of the day they are only just pushing some buttons, the timely fashion some push them differ.

I also have read about mentors that treat every student the same and end up trying to control their time at WGU, rather than letting the student dictate it.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sent you a PM in regards to who my undergrad mentor was.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    KeithCKeithC Member Posts: 147
    My mentor is kinda laid back but he always ask what I need to succeed. He is defiantly on my side in helping but I have to initiate the question or need. He doesn't work on Fridays but he called me one time after I failed a test it was pretty nice of him. I passed a class last week and he's been cleaning up the mess that the scores department left by applying a different course code then the old one I was registered in.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, guys!
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A little late to the party, but I PMed my mentor(s) as well. I had two as my main one had to go on leave for a bit. His replacement did play ball.

Speaking of which, as someone from the NYC area, I'm "Fets" fan....I have always had a great appreciation for Yuck's name! :D
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Your a mets fan erpa? We can't be friends anymore I'm a yankees fan all the way. lol
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Your a mets fan erpa? We can't be friends anymore I'm a yankees fan all the way. lol

You want to know irony? My parents met in the Bronx. Dad was National League guy so it was Brooklyn Dodgers, then the Mets when they came to town [parents are in their 70s...so yeah....] My uncle lives in Queens....Yankees fan. LMAO....

Many of my friends root for the Yankees, the ----(-)talking is very friendly and amicable. A few of my friends are Mets fan.

I'm more into football anyway. Go Giants! :)
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oh its always smack talk with baseball clubs especially mets and yankees. Mets fans really, really hate the yankees. But with football oddly enough I don't support the local teams I'm a Denver fan and thank god we gave up Tebow. Peyton makes our team look respectable.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    mine has been a god send, i would have quit if it wasnt for her... she totally get a me having a full time high stress job and kids
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers: