Options

Suggestions for studying additional server roles

LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
My test date is quickly approaching in 8 days, September 24th. I am starting the additional roles portion and would like advice on what order to approach them. I am planning on doing AD-LDS last as it seems to have a small presence on the exam. Even the MS press books says few exam questions are related to AD-LDS. However, that leave CS, FS, and RMS.

I have about 8 hours of study time on Monday the 17th, only about 2 hours a day on Tuesday thru Friday, and then about 10 hours on Saturday and 10 on Sunday. I test Monday afternoon at 1:30 PM.

Is there a preferred order to study these roles? I know CS plays a heavy part of the exam, but I also need to tackle the other three. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
Currently Working On: Security+
2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's been awhile since I took my EA exams, but I've been hearing from those who've done them recently that Certificate Services and RMS are being fairly heavily tested. I'd go CS > RMS > FS > LDS in terms of weight on the exam. Just keep in mind though that every exam can be different. The first time I took the 647 I got pounded by a lot of those App-v Med-v type of questions, of which I had no clue. I failed that attempt. Next attempt, I was ready for App-v type stuff but then got hammered by other stuff. You never really know what's gonna hit ya. But if you are pressed for time, I'd prepare for them in the order I suggested. If you fear you'll fail, you likely will. Not discouraging or anything, but if you feel you need an extra week or two, push the exam back. No point in taking a hit on your confidence and the hip pocket! (though I know the second shot is there).
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I figured that CS should be first, but wasn't sure about the rest. So far I am scoring from 76 - 96 on Measure Up and Transcender exams for the sections I have gone through. The 76 exam was because I wasn't reading the questions carefully enough. I will give it a day or so and see how it goes, but it seems like CS, FS, RMS, and LDS is a lot to cover in a week. I might push it out another week.

Thanks,

• Options
    neilperryneilperry Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey! Thanks for the advice in regards to what server roles to look at.

My test is the 20th in the morning so I am nearing the home stretch. Not sure how I feel about it, I THINK I'm ready. I'm at that point where I need to take the test and if I fail oh well, at least I know what to focus in on with the second go around. I feel better with the Second Shot as well. I review material but feel like I am not absorbing anything more.
  • Options
    That's exactly my take. Essendon is right about putting it off if we're not ready, but I haven't taken an MS cert exam since NT 4.0. So I am going for it and if I don't make it, then at least I know what to expect on the next go around. I failed my CCNA the first time around, and after two additional months of study, I slammed it. Although, I am hoping for a pass ;)

Good luck on your exam!