Options

Incomplete BS degree on resume

grognardgrognard Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wondering what the best way to list an incomplete bachelor's degree on a resume was. I should have finished school in the spring of 2007 but for some stupid personal reasons I screwed up my last semester and didn't graduate. Thankfully the company that I was working in during school offered me a full time position and I've had a pretty good job for the past few years. Unfortunately I never went back and finished school and now I'm in the process of looking for a new job. I'm trying to figure out how to put my education situation on my resume. What's the best way to list four years of undergrad that didn't result in a degree?

BTW, I know people are going to tell me that I ought to go back to school and finish up my degree. I know that's the case but right now there's no way I'll be able to start taking classes before the spring semester. I haven't wasted the last few years (I've gotten CCNA, CEH and CISSP certifications) but I'm also aware that an incomplete undergrad degree is really holding me back at this point.

Comments

• Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At the bottom of my resume I list:

Education

Colorado School of Mines - Fall 2004 to Spring 2008
    Courses in Engineering and Computer Science

Seems to work out okay for me.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    i agree with milkeybikes right now on mine i have my degree listed and after it i have (in progress) with my estimated finish time so if you have a plan on when you want to finish your degree that is another option as well.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    My only concern about mikeybikes approach is that I went to school for four years, and if I list 2003-2007 I'm worried they'll assume I'm claiming I have a degree.

Claiming it's in progress seems a bit silly since I haven't taken a college class in years. I'm working on getting back into a program so I can finish things up but right now I'm not enrolled anywhere.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    grognard wrote: »
    My only concern about that approach is that I went to school for four years, and if I list 2003-2007 I'm worried they'll assume I'm claiming I have a degree.
    Grog, the way mikey wrote it would not imply a degree to me. He was very clear that all he is advertising is having completed, "Courses in Engineering and Computer Science."
  • Options
    NetworkVeteran:

You're right, I looked back at it and the "courses completed" bit makes sense. Thanks for the advice.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I do the same as mikeybikes. I use a slight variation which may help if you are concerned about misinterpretation of having a degree.

My University - Fall 1986 to Spring 1990
    Candidate in BS Electrical Engineering
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have listed my future degree as in progress on my resume to show potential employers that i am currently attending school and what i am going for.
  • Options
    Nemowolf wrote: »
    I have listed my future degree as in progress on my resume to show potential employers that i am currently attending school and what i am going for.
    That's the way to do it, if you're currently in school.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Unless you have gained the qualification you should not list it on your CV. However, if its a qualification you are actively studying then i would put it as in progress.

If i were you, go back and finish that last semester! such a waste to go all the way that close to the finish line and not make it. Everyone makes mistakes but dont be scared to go back and finish it off
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Uh... how about just finishing it? You said it was your last semester... did you fail every course in that semester? If so, you have one full semester. If not, you have less. You do realize, however, if you go to a different school, they are likely to require at least 30 credit hours completed at their institution for them to be able to confer a degree, right? If at all possible, complete it at the school you attended. Otherwise, maybe just look at WGU, or something similar... unless you feel like doing a year worth of courses... and that if you go full-time.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I do the same as most people here I have a finished degree from Virginia Tech ( go Hokies! ) but I also went to a lame for profit school called ECPI and pulled out once I realized what a joke it was but I still list it on my resume because it is known locally as a school in the IT realm but I just list the years I attended.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I went to one of those local for-profit schools just to do the MCSE program back in the day. I wasted time and money there. It is not on my resume.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would simply not list an incomplete degree that is not in progress. An in progress degree is absolutely worth listing, but an incomplete degree adds nothing positive.

I definitely agree with Powerfool: Finish your degree. Just do it. Go somewhere else if you want/have to. Go to WGU. Just get it, even if it's in English or something unrelated to IT. The fact that you've even posted this thread clearly shows you would see value in having it. If Spring is the next time you can get back at it, do it then. Once registration opens up, apply (assuming you will need to reapply) and register. Once you're registered it's a degree in progress. Until then, I would not advise adding it to your resume. Surely, you can use the space for something valuable.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    grognard wrote: »
    I was wondering what the best way to list an incomplete bachelor's degree on a resume was. I should have finished school in the spring of 2007 but for some stupid personal reasons I screwed up my last semester and didn't graduate. Thankfully the company that I was working in during school offered me a full time position and I've had a pretty good job for the past few years. Unfortunately I never went back and finished school and now I'm in the process of looking for a new job. I'm trying to figure out how to put my education situation on my resume. What's the best way to list four years of undergrad that didn't result in a degree?

BTW, I know people are going to tell me that I ought to go back to school and finish up my degree. I know that's the case but right now there's no way I'll be able to start taking classes before the spring semester. I haven't wasted the last few years (I've gotten CCNA, CEH and CISSP certifications) but I'm also aware that an incomplete undergrad degree is really holding me back at this point.

This s a great question by grognard. Good input from a lot of people. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    I disagree with not listing an incomplete degree.

By listing an incomplete degree, it shows you have spent some time in higher education. In my case, the school is locally known as a "tough" school. It also, in my case, explains a gap in tech-related employment.

The fact that I had some higher education has, on at least one occasion, meant the difference between a job offer and not.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikeybikes wrote: »
    At the bottom of my resume I list:

Education

Colorado School of Mines - Fall 2004 to Spring 2008
    Courses in Engineering and Computer Science

Seems to work out okay for me.

I used something similiar until I went back and completed an associates at another school and then I dropped it and just included the associates.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete