Options

Top cloud computing certifications to consider

pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
Hi All,

I have been seeing frequent queries regarding Cloud Computing Certification for some time now. I thought of sharing this article which I found while surfing

Top cloud computing certifications to consider - Top cloud computing certifications to consider

This is certainly not a definitive collection of certifications for Cloud Computing but a general reference. Notable absentees in this list as per my knowledge were
  • MCSE Private Cloud
  • Exin Cloud
  • Comptia Cloud
Enjoy!
[h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    - Exin Cloud? I thought they did ITIL stuff only. Dont think they are going to garner any market share at all.
    - Comptia Cloud? We hear about this thing called "cloud", we have no freaking idea what that is but it seems to be the word in the pea-brains of some managers, let's bring out a certification and hopefully some gullible people will bite.
    - MCSE Cloud? It's a new cert, it probably will pick up as time goes on. HR goons are just wrapping their heads around this thing called the MCITP, and Microsoft come along with another term that's going to throw their brains into overdrive and then burn.

That article is EMC heavy, honestly doubt anyone's going to attempt any of those certs, maybe some folks from EMC will take them. But apart from them, they dont appeal to anyone else.

I think the article is missing the VCP - IaaS cert. That to me comes the closest to being a cloud cert.

IBM cloud certs, nah! Dont Citrix have something similar too?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    EXIN Cloud is a foundation exam and covers the concepts of Cloud from a 10000 feet view and its for CXO's or CTO's level guys who need to have a overview of the cloud. Doesn't provide much by way on the nuts and bolts and its the same with Comptia as well, its pretty basic stuff
    Already working my way to the MCSE Private Cloud and its ok as far as the management of Virtual Infrastructure. I still have the Managing Private Cloud with SCCM 2012 exam left but seems like an attempt to compete with VMWare more then a viable Cloud solution. EMC/HP & IBM are solution architect level exams which require a good amount of knowledge on Storage/Server infrastructure from these companies. At this time I feel VCP - IaaS may be the way to go, thats why I am working towards VCP as of now. Hopefully once I complete VCP in November I will complete my MCSE Private Cloud and then try for VCP - IaaS
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just took a look at VCP5-IaaS blueprint. It touches a lot of technologies. Looks like it'll be the hardest of the 3 VCPs.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Would get worse once updated to vCloud Director 5.1 I can imagine ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    I dont know about the rest but I feel that VMWare certainly has the features required to transition to cloud, MS Hyper V and SCOM 2012 attempts the same but still feels like its meant for large enterprises not the actual cloud. However, now its more of a pricing game then actual technology between MS and VMWare to see who comes on top
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    That article is EMC heavy, honestly doubt anyone's going to attempt any of those certs, maybe some folks from EMC will take them. But apart from them, they dont appeal to anyone else.
    That's probably because the author works for EMC (at least someone with the same name does).

Anuj Sharma | LinkedIn
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    That would explain the fanatical love for EMC Certifications icon_lol.gif
    I still feel that the Cloud Technology is evolving and we may see many iterations from multiple vendors before the industry standards come out.
    One trivia question for the experts, do you think VMware invented Virtualization or was it IBM icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    That would explain the fanatical love for EMC Certifications icon_lol.gif
    I still feel that the Cloud Technology is evolving and we may see many iterations from multiple vendors before the industry standards come out.
    One trivia question for the experts, do you think VMware invented Virtualization or was it IBM icon_cool.gif

Didnt think it was VMware, that leaves IBM. My trusty friend, Google, came up with this > Who Invented Virtualization? - Blue - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essendon wrote: »
    Dont Citrix have something similar too?
    There are certs for individual products you'd find in a cloud (e.g XenServer, NetScaler) but nothing cloud-specific yet.
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    Besides that, "cloud" is a generic term, so being "cloud certified" could mean any number of things. I appreciate how VMware named their cert "VCP5-IaaS" since it is clear that it covers IaaS cloud computing and not PaaS, SaaS, DaaS, and so on, which are all quite different despite being under the same cloud umbrella. All these certs with "cloud" in the name just adds to the confusion.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are certs for individual products you'd find in a cloud (e.g XenServer, NetScaler) but nothing cloud-specific yet.

Besides that, "cloud" is a generic term, so being "cloud certified" could mean any number of things. I appreciate how VMware named their cert "VCP5-IaaS" since it is clear that it covers IaaS cloud computing and not PaaS, SaaS, DaaS, and so on, which are all quite different despite being under the same cloud umbrella. All these certs with "cloud" in the name just adds to the confusion.

I just did a quick search and "cloud" means, apparently, something quite different depending upon the expert. LOL. Kind of like Plato's Theory of Forms...
  • Options
    AdminPortalAdminPortal Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    certifications in cloud computing is very important as these can help you to get better jobs.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Hadoop has been the biggest cloud / big data technology that has been helping me land a lot of Interviews. Google, amazon, Netflix, EMC, financial companies all use apache Hadoop. its the the backed to pretty much a lot of these cloud / big data networks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Hadoop
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Landing you interviews how? Developer, administration, ??? What are you doing Hadoop wise?
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    System administration / engineer roles. Cloudera is the most notable certification for it (recently went to their week long sys admin training too). A few top google engineers run the company.

edit

I build / configure hadoop, hbase, zookeeper, high availability name nodes, etc. we have a 100TB cluster for our mini mimic prod environment and 400 TB prod environment. I maintain the environment (red hat Linux enterprise server), SANs, and some other stuff. The developers do all the column oriented db stuff and map reduce jobs. You will find these type of jobs in big data arenas. Virtualization, is another beast which I do as well. I'm planning on having three major focuses, Big Data, Virtualization, and Server Engineering.

EMC was one of the interviews and they really liked how I was already getting exp in it.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    That's nice experience. Thanks for the reply.