Options

Best film about computer networks & InfoSec?

al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
People please share your thoughts about the film that in your opinion best captured and depicted the essence of computer networks and information security!!!
"Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
"Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
"Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    For me: WarGames (the original) & Sneakers; top the list for depicting many real world aspects.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    Yeaah man, Wargames what a nice film, must have seen it 10 times or soicon_lol.gif, but didn't come first in mind; indeed a pioneer of the sort in the cold-war era of cinema! I've surely forgotten some or am not familiar with other good Infosec-related films so these posts are most welcome.
    Vote for other if you please and thanks a lot for the feedback.
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would have to go wargames to :) to me it was the "real" Computer film.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    I've seen the bulk of computer/IT themed movies. Some others: The Net 2.0, Hackers, Takedown, Swordfish, Die hard 4, Wargames: the dead code, Firewall, Antitrust, Pirates of silicon valley, Untraceable. The majority have odd bits that are semi realistic. But overall are far too "hollywood-ized", still entertaining tho. With the exception of Pirates of silicon valley, being based on true events, tho it's not about networks/infosec. Looking for the mistakes that are made is fun icon_lol.gif
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wargames not for realism but just reminds me how awful getting online used to be.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I go with "Sneakers". It was a good end of the Cold War era/dawn of the digital age film, plus it had an EXCELLENT cast (Robert Redford, Sidney Portier, River Phoenix, Dan Ackroyd).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    clarknovaclarknova Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wargames for me too. I'll always remember the password was "pencil" that he used to dial in and change his grades.
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    I'm a great fan of Harrison Ford's performance in Firewall. Especially this scene: firewall.wmv - YouTube

;)
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    thought I saw "wargames 2.0" on AMC like 2 nights ago, anyone know about this film?
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did not hear about "wargames 2.0". I think I'll try to dig that one up and take a look.

I would have to agree that Wargames did it for me because of the nostalgic modem connection tones and waiting to get online. Heaven forbid if you dialed long distance.

MosGuy had some great movies that were mentioned. Another one that comes to mind is Eagle Eye.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to go with Sneakers.
  • Options
    MosGuy wrote: »
    I've seen the bulk of computer/IT themed movies. Some others: The Net 2.0, Hackers, Takedown, Swordfish, Die hard 4, Wargames: the dead code, Firewall, Antitrust, Pirates of silicon valley, Untraceable. The majority have odd bits that are semi realistic. But overall are far too "hollywood-ized", still entertaining tho. With the exception of Pirates of silicon valley, being based on true events, tho it's not about networks/infosec. Looking for the mistakes that are made is fun icon_lol.gif

I regret not including Firewall & Wargames so far...icon_cool.gif!!!
    Those two I've seen and liked a lot, in contrast to Swordfish which I didn't like as much, though extremely relevant to this poll.
    Sneakers is effectively in my watchlist, thanx people!
  • Options
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    thought I saw "wargames 2.0" on AMC like 2 nights ago, anyone know about this film?

Can't say I was too impressed with 2.0. Seemed like they just tried to modernize the original storyline. It didn't feel like much of a squeal or continuation. Though it was good to see Falken & Joshua back. It could have been developed better. It was an ok movie, the original is still best :)
    ---

• Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    cool I tried to watch it but I had a crazy hang over and feel asleep icon_rolleyes.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sneakers is great, I also really enjoy Pirates of Silicon Valley. Hackers was good just for the music alone. icon_cool.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    sneakers is great

a more modern one that i like is the girl with the dragon tattoo
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have to agree, Sneakers is one of my favorites!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Demonfurbie - I completely forgot about "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I'd also add the other two books in the "Millennium" series ("Girl Who Played With Fire" and "Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest").
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hackers was the first movie that made me think computers were 'cool', I liked War Games but that didn't have Angelina Jolie icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    Demonfurbie - I completely forgot about "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". I'd also add the other two books in the "Millennium" series ("Girl Who Played With Fire" and "Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest").

yep Lisbeth was L33t h4x0r alright...
    I enjoyed the first (Swedish) film a lot, full of suspense elements.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Have to agree, Sneakers is one of my favorites!

Sneakers all the way! A wonderful cast. They "get" the roots of hacking, and that serious losses are more often due to human error and trust violations than technical genius. No major technical flaws, albeit some minor ones (the bridges, the geese, the warm room).

Wargames. Because it's the first film featuring Alaskan Airlines. :p

I can't watch most technical scenes and films. I remember watching an NCIS episode where the "technical expert" was tracking down an IP. 303.233.180.2 or somesuch. ::groan:: Almost every technical film makes errors like that, and once witnessed, I can't suspend disbelief anymore and pretend that they're a technical expert.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can't watch most technical scenes and films. I remember watching an NCIS episode where the "technical expert" was tracking down an IP. 303.233.180.2 or somesuch. ::groan:: Almost every technical film makes errors like that, and once witnessed, I can't suspend disbelief anymore and pretend that they're a technical expert.

I agree. It's hard to be IT Professional and watch NCIS (or any other show), and even harder for my wife and friends, because I usually shout at the TV when I see something that's completely impossible/ridiculous.

I should start a thread about security buzzwords on popular TV programs: Encryption, Firewall, Proxy... and they call all be hacked in 30 seconds or less...
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I agree. It's hard to be IT Professional and watch NCIS (or any other show), and even harder for my wife and friends, because I usually shout at the TV when I see something that's completely impossible/ridiculous.

I should start a thread about security buzzwords on popular TV programs: Encryption, Firewall, Proxy... and they call all be hacked in 30 seconds or less...
    dont forget the word cyber ... actors love cyber
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I cringed watching "24" and Kiefer Sutherland
    Chloe! get me a secure socket to that surveillance camera and route my mobile phone traffic over to that vending machine
    /sarcasm
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    my fav
    War Games, Hackers, MI4: Ghost Protocol, Die Hard 4, Eagle Eyes (AI), i-robot(AI)

Fav TV Series
    Nikita
    Ghost (Forensics, Korean) (i really luv the Samsung series 9 laptops they use...)

Book - Confessions of teenage hackers
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Falcon & The Snowman. An oldie, but a goodie based on true story.
  • Options
    rampagerampage Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have seen Die hard 4.Tron ,Firewall and I really like Die hard 4 especially those guys,Matthew and Warlock.But I will watch others .For series I like Nikita .That's interesting.
    Sorry if my question is not related to the topic but for example in Die hard,are those things real?Those guys seem to know everything about security .They just need to get online and nothing can stop them . Is that possible in real world?
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sneakers for being the most realistic of the lot mentioned so far. That to me is what makes it the best. More so than just bringing up a CLI and entering #HACK -u BigBadGuy -t 1337 like you see on TV.
    Can you imagine if in reality it was as easy as Lisbeth has it in the millenium trilogy? That'd make it a security horror series.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    The Event was a short lived tv show that had some absurd hacking
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark