Options

Best film about computer networks & InfoSec?

2»

Comments

• Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @mike-mike the one thing that had me about the show was the fact that the main character walked into a FBI field office plugged into an arbitrary switch and was all hacked in.
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    Sneakers springs to mind first.

I can understand the invalid IP address to a point (maybe use a private one instead), but the unmasked password dialog boxes annoys me.
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    It's been a while, is Sneakers the one where the blind guy drives the van across the parking lot?

Swordfish came to mind as well, I believe most of the technical jargon they used was pretty accurate.
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I cringed watching "24" and Kiefer Sutherland

/sarcasm

yeah you cringed but you have Chloe | Kiefer, lingo down real well!
    Chloe could do all that while keifer ran up 2 flights of stairs and went down half a hallway.
  • Options
    al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Well I've counted about 9 individual Sneakers posts, so here's your lead favorite so far...
    I have to see that one ASAP icon_wink.gif!!!
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    yeah you cringed but you have Chloe | Kiefer, lingo down real well!
    Chloe could do all that while keifer ran up 2 flights of stairs and went down half a hallway.

Chloe = super hot hacker goddess that knew everything about every specialty in IT. Respect.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Chloe = super hot hacker goddess that knew everything about every specialty in IT. Respect.

The season where terrorists stole a government firewall put me over the edge. This firewall when used allowed the terrorists to access and control all air traffic computers and cause massive flight accidents to occur.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    pizzaboy wrote: »
    @mike-mike the one thing that had me about the show was the fact that the main character walked into a FBI field office plugged into an arbitrary switch and was all hacked in.

One episode he verbally said something about "wireless nodes" and the way he said it made me want to punch him

same scene he then made some dumb comment about how "can you believe in this day and age people still dont secure their wifi" and then did a over the top nerdy laugh, but he did it with a look on his face like, "this must be what nerds sound like"

I hated him
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    The season where terrorists stole a government firewall put me over the edge. This firewall when used allowed the terrorists to access and control all air traffic computers and cause massive flight accidents to occur.

Lol I never really watched the show ...I just know she was hot. Can you imagine when the writers where trying to come up for concept for that season, probably even pulled in some IT sec people I am sure they where just like " dude...really?"
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Despite the nonsensical nature I still enjoyed watching Jack do anything for his country. Hate these shows where all the character does it threaten and the bad guy caves in based on words alone. 24 had proper bad dudes that went to the wire, until of course Jack got a hold of them :)
    God deserves my best
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 24 writers created several very commendable characters; they know what is right and are not afraid to do what ever it takes, even if it is not SOP. To bad we don't have real people like Jack, David Palmer, chloe, even Almeida, and Buchanan.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    an IP. 303.233.180.2 or somesuch. ::groan::
    This is purposely done so as to not accidentally use a legitimate IP address that is owned by someone and get the television/cable network or movie studio sued. It's the same concept as using impossible telephone numbers (e.g., BR-549). I was watching an episode of L&O SVU and the IP addresses they were using to track a bad guy looked more like Netware addresses. Blame it on the lawyers that filter every detail of the scripts for possible legal actions. I can only imaging what South Park's lawyers do to earn their money.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    This is purposely done so as to not accidentally use a legitimate IP address that is owned by someone and get the television/cable network or movie studio sued.

Why they can't use the 127.0.0.0 /8 subnet and let the script kiddies wet themselves, I just don't know.

Excuse me whilst I deal with a potential threat coming from 127.85.124.76.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    MickQ wrote: »
    Why they can't use the 127.0.0.0 /8 subnet
    Yeah, I wondered why not just use an RFC1918 address too, but the private and loopback ranges are owned by IANA. I can see the lawyers saying, "Make up something that looks good, but also shows our due diligence not to infringe on anything that is usable in the real world."
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Yeah, I wondered why not just use an RFC1918 address too, but the private and loopback ranges are owned by IANA. I can see the lawyers saying, "Make up something that looks good, but also shows our due diligence not to infringe on anything that is usable in the real world."

Alright, plausible, but I have a hard time believing that much thought when into the decision, given my single experience with top tv-show production, and these clips. :p

GUI interface using visual basic to track the killers IP address CSI - YouTube

NCIS 2 IDIOTS 1 KEYBOARD - YouTube
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Sneakers and Takedown (Hackers 2)

special mention to Breach for security leaks
    meh
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The new(ish) 007 movie Skyfall is supposed to be loosely inspired by stuxnet. Lot's of big monitors and tech speak.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    wes allen wrote: »
    The new(ish) 007 movie Skyfall is supposed to be loosely inspired by stuxnet. Lot's of big monitors and tech speak.

I was gonna mention this one as well.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Matrix is an excellent InfoSec warfare movie, in more ways than one. Good emphasis on deception and strength. I liked Shimomura's rollerblades in Takedown too, tip of the cap to Hackers there.
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Alright, plausible, but I have a hard time believing that much thought when into the decision, given my single experience with top tv-show production, and these clips. :p

GUI interface using visual basic to track the killers IP address CSI - YouTube

NCIS 2 IDIOTS 1 KEYBOARD - YouTube
    HAHA!
    ive never seen that show. pretty funny. the comments on the youtube page are golden
  • Options
    JohnnyBigglesJohnnyBiggles Member Posts: 273
    I cringed watching "24" and Kiefer Sutherland

/sarcasm
    "Chloe! get me a secure socket to that surveillance camera and route my mobile phone traffic over to that vending machine"

Hahahahahaha!! I knew SOMEONE had to bring that up or else I would have. That show was great but as an IT guy those parts had me in stitches. They (Chloe) could pretty much do ANYTHING on that show... even hack into a terrorist's electric toothbrush & email the hacked DNA data to the Surgeon General's PDA the US President incumbent being held hostage borrowed 5 minutes ago...lol.

The ones that come to mind, more indirectly, are 'The Net' (actually that one is more directly than the others I'll mention... and although it was like... Windows 95 technology or even 3.1), Inception and The Terminator trilogy. Being a VMware techy nowdays, a lot tends to remind me of Inception-like scenarios where you'll have a PC within a PC within a PC. You can get lost sometimes trying to remember where you are between virtual machines, VPNs & remote desktop. As far as The Terminator, looking at how far tech has come and how much Google is integrated with my everyday life and all the basics within, I can't imagine it will be much longer before my smartphone turns on me. And that will be the beginning of the end. Actually, it has already begun. 'Google' may just be code for 'Skynet'. Apple and Android may exterminate us all (humans and pets alike) in the crossfire of their self-inflicted Galaxy iWar...

Actually, Skynet parallels the internet of today eerily closely. Just think how widespread and vast the internet is and how it's pretty much the life-blood of the world.. and as time moves on so many things depend more & more on it... it has become a requirement in many aspects of life. God help everyone around me if my cable broadband or Wifi is down....
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To add to what was stated earlier about NCIS, take a look at this reddit page NCIS's idea of an IP address for the worlds most dangerous hacker... : funny
    In a recent episode they track down the location of the worlds most dangerous hacker by his IP address which happens a private address, 192.168.0.14

http://i.imgur.com/lkq1hns.jpg
  • Options
    swildswild Member Posts: 828

OMG that was terribad. This is why I can't watch any tv shows that have to do with infosec. Movies at least have the time to have a semi-decent consultant come in, but with tv its all too rushed. Nikita wasn't too bad, but that's all that comes to mind. 24 was horrendous.

Hackers would have to be my one guilty pleasure. There are eye-rollers and it's quite dated, but it's a cult classic.

Skyfall was good. I also thought they did a pretty decent job with Die Hard 4. I also like very short section in Jurassic Park.

Take a look at one of my favorite websites list of Hollywood Hacking: Hollywood Hacking - Television Tropes & Idioms