2 weeks into my First IT job

jjasso21jjasso21 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I recently had gotten my first IT job about 2 weeks ago on a 3 month contract-to-hire. It is at a small IT shop of about 8 people in downtown Chicago that has about 30 clients overall. So far I am loving it. While we do have to travel on-site, for the most part it is very close to one another. Best part is the hours, it is Monday to Friday 9 am -5 pm. While I may stay over from time to time, it is only when I am doing many of the on-going projects.

I have about 8 years of hospitality experience overall and I do find it transfers over in dealing with customers. I like it because I get to do hands on desktop support, remote support as well as a little bit of networking in there as well.

I am currently studying for 70-685. I have gone through the entire Darill Gibson book and now am in the middle of the MS Press one. I hope to take the exam in about a month.

Comments

• someasiandudesomeasiandude Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice man, i am goin for the same cert path like urs

How long did it take u to achieve those certs?
    A.S. - Computer Networking Student (Spring 2014)

CompTIA A+ (passed 10/2012) ----> CompTIA Net+ ----> CCENT :study: ---> CCNA ---> ???
  • jjasso21jjasso21 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I want to say about 10 months, but it was a lot of on and off studying. Mostly due to a hectic work schedule.
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, and way to go!
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Nice to hear things worked out. If you are ever in the Loop and have time to kill ping me up for coffee/lunch or something.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, jjasso21! icon_thumright.gif

Any plans on the degree front?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • MJohnsonresMJohnsonres Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Sounds like a nice gig my dude, keep learning and the opportunities should keep pouring in!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • zekebzekeb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for posting this! I liked reading about your experience so far...