Options

CCNA Exam

bdthomas02bdthomas02 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have over ten years experience working with computers but I do not have any experience working with networking. I want to take the CCNA exam but I need some guidance on where to begin, which books and materials required for study, etc. Can someone out there offer me some advice and directions on how to pursue this path? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

bdthomas02

Comments

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Read the CCNA faq sticky at the top of the board.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    I do not see the faq at the top of the board. I have not been on this board in a very long time.
  • Options
    I have Todd L. 640-802 book. Should I use this book and purchase some other books as well?
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did you completely disregard the link I gave you? That thread will answer any questions you may have.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    My advice would be to start with the books by Odom and start building a lab.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    I used Lammle, the Odom icnd1/2 books, and packet tracer for my CCNA.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bdthomas02 wrote: »
    I have over ten years experience working with computers but I do not have any experience working with networking. I want to take the CCNA exam but I need some guidance on where to begin, which books and materials required for study, etc. Can someone out there offer me some advice and directions on how to pursue this path? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

bdthomas02

Same situation but 16 years of IT exp and none in networking. Get some interest in the industry first because none of the books come with motivation and interest and I needed a lot of interest to get started, let alone get all the prep done and then exam jitter process. I had all the books but just couldn't get it done. I had to enroll in a class just to generate enough interest in the topics to do exam prep to begin with. YRMV.
  • Options
    Which books by Odom and should I build a simulator lab because I have the software? I do not have the space or money to setup a lab with the actual equipment.
  • Options
    I have the Lammle book for the full test and the packet tracer. How should I study Lammle book?
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    CCNA 640-802 Official Cert Library,Updated (3rd Edition): Wendell P. Odom: 9781587204388: Amazon.com: Books

This is the cert library so you get 2 books (ICND1 and ICND2).

Edit:
    How should I study Lammle book?

...Read it? I don't know what you mean.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□

Thanks,

bdthomas02

If you're not in a class/school or bootcamp, you better have a lot of DRIVE and I don't mean in a car either:

X2 - Self-Study) - How to self-study for your CCNA: For those that want the flexibility, and have the drive - or are just want the cheap way (Like me). This highlights the numerous questions, as well as explores the answers, giving examples, tips, tricks from people around the globe on Tech Exams. Yes.

X1.1.B - CCNA: Exploration - Designed for students with advanced problem solving and analytical skills. More material. More Depth. Quicker speed.
    Example: Colleges. Expect to cover what you need to know in a single semister. Atleast my local colleges planned it out that way.

Pros:
    + Teachers
    + Lab equipment supplied
    + Other students.
    + You paid a lot of money.
    + Packet Tracer (Not available otherwise)

I'm doing this in a continuing ed class and best book/e resources!