Options

I dint get thru ICND1

happyalwayshappyalways Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,its been almost 1 and half month dedicated studying, and after having postponed twice ( when i felt that i was not ready ) that i wrote this exam..

I got a 799..and the passing mark was 804..i am heart broken..and feeling very terrible,,i lost points in Subnetting-57 and security 50.remaining everything,i got a above 70....

I have scheduled my exam next week ..But the problem i am facing is: I cant concentrate on studies..i dont know wat to do..any suggestions or any prep tips pls share it with me.. i need it desperately.. i have to definitely Clear my ICND1 next time for sure.

Or if u have any motivational videos/quotes which will help me overcome my failure and give my best shot for the next attempt, i wil be grateful..

Thnks

Comments

• Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Heart broken? 799 is so close go over your weak areas and schedule in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Keep your chin up! You know where you need to focus your studies in order to get that extra question or two correct. These tests aren't easy, if they were then EVERYONE would have them! Don't let this setback psych you out. Knuckle down, concentrate hard on the areas you were weak in, but don't neglect your stronger zones either. The test you get the next time around will have different questions, so you need to be prepared to bring your A-game.

If I had to pick a study method, it would be to go back through any labs or videos that you can in the areas you need to work on. Work hard at understanding WHY things happen, not just that they happen. If subnetting is getting you down, well your in luck! That is one of the easiest objectives to study for since there are so many different resources out there. Hit up Rogue's thread in this forum about how to study for the CCENT/CCNA, he's got a lot of invaluable information in there. You may have to look for it a little bit, since for some unknown reason the forum gods have not seen fit to bless it with a sticky yet, but it's there.

Most of all, remember that you DO get a second chance. Make the most of your time between now and then, and knock them dead next week.
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    i am heart broken..and feeling very terrible,,i lost points in
    I have scheduled my exam next week ..But the problem i am facing is: I cant concentrate on studies..i dont know wat to do..
    Re-schedule your exam to give yourself two weeks. Give yourself a short break to recover, then tackle the subjects you didn't master before with renewed vigor.
    I got a 799..and the passing mark was 804
    Look on the bright side. If you had scored 5 points higher, you'd be one of the weakest CCNAs out there when it comes down to apply those skills on-the-job or in an interview. You have a golden opportunity here to eliminate those weaknesses and become a strong, entry-level networking professional. The sort who nails interviews and merits higher pay. Remember, this is likely not your end goal, but simply a mile marker along your path. :)
  • Options
    Moe 0101Moe 0101 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DO NOT GIVE UP! 799 is so close. I have been in your shoes before, feeling kinda lost after failing an exam. I normally take a day and go do something to get my mind off it ( normally makes me miss is) then I continue to work on my weakness. I would also try and get a good night rest the night before, it does help.

You got this!
  • Options
    dpjackal89dpjackal89 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't understand why say you failed. You can just retake it. It's no big deal. Everyone is bound to fail an exam at some point. Just study a little bit more and retake the exam. In the grand scheme of all things, the money spent on the exam is a joke. Just go take the exam again. You should be able to pass.
    Hi,its been almost 1 and half month dedicated studying, and after having postponed twice ( when i felt that i was not ready ) that i wrote this exam..

I got a 799..and the passing mark was 804..i am heart broken..and feeling very terrible,,i lost points in Subnetting-57 and security 50.remaining everything,i got a above 70....

I have scheduled my exam next week ..But the problem i am facing is: I cant concentrate on studies..i dont know wat to do..any suggestions or any prep tips pls share it with me.. i need it desperately.. i have to definitely Clear my ICND1 next time for sure.

Or if u have any motivational videos/quotes which will help me overcome my failure and give my best shot for the next attempt, i wil be grateful..

Thnks
  • Options
    Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your score was apparently just below minimum which shows that there are some key areas on which you need to focus. Take your time in reviewing those areas. Don't push yourself too hard. It's okay to wait a month or two, or even six, before retaking this test. You may need some additional study materials. I suspect that subnetting presents a problem for you. I understand it's one of the biggest obstacles for a lot of people. A good place to get some free practice is subnetting.org. I would also suggest the book by Wendell Odom. If you can, get the CBTNuggets videos. If money's an issue, you just might have to work on that first. I don't know what else to tell you. There's no need to give up on yourself. You can definitely pass, you just need more time.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Michael2 wrote: »
    Your score was apparently just below minimum which shows that there are some key areas on which you need to focus. Take your time in reviewing those areas. Don't push yourself too hard. It's okay to wait a month or two, or even six, before retaking this test. If you can, get the CBTNuggets videos. You can definitely pass, you just need more time.

Focus on what you got right! Take things lightly and try not to cram any more material! cramming=no good especially with your success in your exam. you score is actually a good score! don't be fooled, this is a test where you have to "make an A" to pass and you got a B+!! in any other edu institute, this is a great score. now take a few steps back and relax and try to lightly take in more information. you may need to take a break just to de-compress but when you are ready, just relax without too much fuss or stress and start to take info in lightly without cramming. you don't need to cram with that score! good news! light review!
  • Options
    Prasad SatavPrasad Satav Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Its absolutely fine..!! there's nothing wrong in failing..!
    At least now you know how the exam actually is..!
    Work on what you lacked in this attempt.. take as much time as you need.. I would suggest you not to haste into it.. Appearing for it ASAP is not as much important as clearing it....you are so close.. DO NOT give up..! you are almost there.. take a break for a day or two... work it out... its waiting for you.!!

All the Best for the Next attempt.!! :)
  • Options
    Hi all, I am really Over whelmed by all your responses..This is such a great forum.. I should have been a part of this when i was preparing for the exam..Nevertheless,this wil be the forum i am going to post till I get my CCIE ..

I cant thank each of u individually..but believe me ,each and every1 of u who have posted here...have a done a gr8 job..and i m really happy that still people exist in the world..who care about others and motivate them..( though they dont know them personally ).

I have scheduled my exam on wednesday..I wrote my exam last thursday..so thats almost 2 weeks.. It took me 3-4 days to come out of the failure thing..and another 2 days.. to get back and FIGHT HARDER.. after reading the comments above..i m determined to get above 900 in my test. Yeah ,even if i had passed my 5 marks,i would have been a Jus pass.( You're right my friend-thnx for tht )..

I am going thru CBT nuggets,trainsignal videos..and Exam cram book again.. I must have missed out on something..but i wont be doing this time..

Also i will look up at Rogues thread. thanks for the links and the suggestions.. i wil keep u all posted abt my progress.. and if i have doubts i wil post here as well..

Take care Wonderfull people.Am off to studying again ( with a smile )
  • Options
    Unable to find the Rogue's thread for subnetting..Can u post a link of that page pls.

thnx
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Heart broken? 799 is so close go over your weak areas and schedule in 2 weeks.
    Quoting this because I failed ICND1 first time with 799. Get the test booked ASAP and just focus on those areas you need to. You can get away with a simple subnetting **** sheet for icnd1 which might help you. You memorise the /number, subnet mask and addresses. I absolutely destroyed that exam second time around.

This might help you do this.

edit: the '**** sheet' method wont get you through icnd2 though.
  • Options
    thanks TehTog.. that was much appreciated..but

For some reason, i am unable to open that link.
  • Options
    ignore my previous msg, my pdf reader was corrupted..reinstalled it..i am able to view ..

Also i get confused with Nat addresses- the inside ip,the outside ip.the global and local.. ( i was confused the last time as well.. but ICND1 doesnt concentrate on NAT much,so much emphasis was on others,i was good at subnetting,except Class A-which i am getting better at.

I have gone through many NAT videos/tutorials as well..Somehow it doesnt seep in. I dont know why,am unable to understand the relative nature of the NAT addresses.If some one will be kind enough to illustrate in their own words,it would be great.

Thnx
  • Options
    Checkout the NAT sheet here. I have ALL of these laminated and plastered over my wall. The diagram they have explains it best.
  • Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    TehToG wrote: »

edit: the '**** sheet' method wont get you through icnd2 though.

Why won't this work for icnd2?
  • Options
    Well it's not that it wont work, but it's just not fast enough. Being realistic you'll need to be able to subnet in about 30seconds or so. This is a good practice for subnetting you'll need to do in ICND2
  • Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329

Thnks

My tutor in college taught me a learning method when you are out of ideas how to dig into a subject further. Close your book, do mind reading. Try to recall what you've learned. Where you got stuck, where is your weakness. Then open your book, and go over it again. This feels like a pain at the beginning, but the result is amazing. What you learn in this way will be sustainable, creative, and deep...
  • Options
    My tutor in college taught me a learning method when you are out of ideas how to dig into a subject further. Close your book, do mind reading. Try to recall what you've learned. Where you got stuck, where is your weakness. Then open your book, and go over it again. This feels like a pain at the beginning, but the result is amazing. What you learn in this way will be sustainable, creative, and deep...

I like this idea and to further illustrate, it predicated or contingent or a pre-requiste to do this well is to really REALLY get into your book or whatever source you are trying to imagine in your mind. And I think it can be relaxing to practice this method well befor eyour exam just to be able to recall facts when youre "at rest" Great idea and this imagine in your "mind's eye" is a wonderfull way to culminate what you read and it really tests how much you are RETAINING as you are reading and this is the most fair test you can imagine <no pun intended> as to the effectiveness of a book for a particular reader!

Right now, I just cannot read a book that doesn't speak to me conversationally. I just don't have a rapport with someone or something that is not proven reliable and for me, reliability has to be TCP/IP or "guaranteed delivery" versus "UDP" or best effort. Another words, most books for me behave or are written as a best effort or delivery is not guaranteed or un-proven method for everyone. I can see doing this using your imagination to review quite frequently as I get into my book!
  • Options
    j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    Oh man, you are so close! You should have no problem passing next time. There is no reason why you shouldn't have subnetting down cold. I would focus on that for starters. If you know how to subnet you should nail all the subnetting questions.

Just review your materials and if you took notes review those as well. Don't worry man, I'm sure you will nail it next time.

subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online to practice subnetting.

Best of Luck on the next go.
  • Options
    Sorry for my late replies- was studyin!...dint notice that i had replies on my thread--thanks to all those who have taken time to reply..and johifanx98- i wil try that method..

Also i have scheduled my exam tomo- and i m getting tensed-- i am getting so tensed that i cant revise now.. my hands are cold -i have a fear of failing icon_sad.gif.. which i dont want to--I need to clear this tomorrow- with good score and then prep for ICND2 and appear for that by end of OCT..

Also wanted to ask- that are the questions repeated in the reexam? i got 40 questions last time -and 90 minutes ..but some say that its 50 qns..Also on the exam ,it was mentioned 40-50 questions..so how will i knw whether it wil 40 or 50 question..

Any last minute tips/tricks/suggestions.--PLEASE I NEED THEM BADLY- how do i keep my mind relax and calm and assure myself that all will be good.

I need to reread the question and options atleast twice- i am planning to comment on the questions as well if there is an ambiguity. Because last time i did well.,but when i raised a case with cisco ,they had asked me if i had written any comments

I have revisited the Trainsignal video/cbt nuggets/exam cram notes and my previous notes as well..
    thanks. i wil wait for ur suggestions./.thnx
  • Options
    Last minute tips are always the same for exams.

1. Get a good night rest before the exam. I went into ICND1 with almost no sleep and I failed by a few marks.

2. Get something to eat/drink before the exam. I've always brought a bottle of water (with the label off) into exams and it helps.

3. Get to the exam centre on time. On time means 15minutes before you should be. It means you get to have a sit down and relax a bit.

4. Calm yourself, read EVERY question before answering. You can't go back. Make sure you're fully happy with your answer. It helps to rule out why the other answers are wrong sometimes, especially with subnetting as it'll show you if you made a mistake.

5. Pace yourself. You have a set time, Don't go to slow, but also don't answer without being sure.

6. Final one, Perhaps the most important for ICND1. USE THE CARD PROVIDED FOR WORKING OUT. During the exam instructions at the start you can use that time to create a subnetting '**** sheet' if you want. Don't rely on it but use it to check your answers.
  • Options
    4. Calm yourself, read EVERY question before answering. You can't go back. Make sure you're fully happy with your answer. It helps to rule out why the other answers are wrong sometimes, especially with subnetting as it'll show you if you made a mistake.

Can we use this to study for the exam daily as well as for exam day..in the following scenario..

For those of you who have "experience" studying for CCNA and by experience I mean you have went over 70-90+ % of the stuff before, can you just skip to this step AS THE PRIMARY METHOD OF PREPARING FOR ICND1/NA?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    so how will i knw whether it wil 40 or 50 question..
    Before you begin the exam, one of the screens tells you the passing score, number of questions, and time available. The clock and question counter while you're taking the exam will also allow you to keep track of your progress. For example, when you're through 10/40 questions hopefully you've only exhausted less than 25% of your available exam time.
    i am planning to comment on the questions as well if there is an ambiguity.
    Since this counts against your exam time, so only do this if you're ahead on time.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do not give up! 799 is so close to passing. If I were you, I'd actually be pretty happy with that score. It shows you know the material. You've just got to practice on your subnetting and you'll be golden.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    lantechlantech Member Posts: 329
    Let us know your passing score when you're done.
    2012 Certification Goals

CCENT: 04/16/2012
    CCNA: TBD
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    He's got this, 799 is good for a first attempt
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    jamster2004jamster2004 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I really think you need to stop and really think about what your long term goals are and how you intend to get there. if you are desirous enough about achieving this goal then you will be motivated. In terms of your score, ICND1 is foundational and its important to have a solid foundation if you intend to go further. so try and get a solid grasp of your weak areas as this can only be to your benefit.so the next time you sit the exam ensure you are in a position to stamp your class on the exam.
  • Options
    GimmynoGimmyno Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mate, don't give up!!!First of all, if you go in scared that you will fail it will only make you feel more nervous. Think it this way, If you pass GREAT, if you Fail it doesn't matter, you will retake it!
  • Options
    I really think you need to stop and really think about what your long term goals are and how you intend to get there.

Even if you don't have long-term goals, you want to pass the exam because you simply do not want Cisco "to SEE" a failing grade from you and me. Even if you do not have solid plans of working right away, you cannot move on to wireless or security without CCNA so there is one reason. This is a good motivational tool as Cisco is well-respect and considered the M$ of networking kinda like Larry Ellison, the founder of Oracle has a very loyal following. Just some 2 cents for anyone. I just need to work hard but I really do not want a blemish on my "Cisco transcript" if that makes sense to anyone.