How long to wait before taking ICND2?

mohcommohcom Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
About a week ago, I passed ICND1 on my 1st attempt. I wonder what everyone thoughts are on how long to wait before taking ICND2... My focus has been on ICND1 exam topics, and I'm just starting to look into ICND2's topics. There are a lot of concepts in ICND2 that were on ICND1... Should I take it soon to make sure I don't forget what I've already learned in ICND1? Or should I take my time in preparing for part 2?
- CCNP (Work In Progress)
- CCNA
- CCENT
- Security+
- B.S. Computer Science (Info. Systems Security)

Comments

• IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mohcom wrote: »
    About a week ago, I passed ICND1 on my 1st attempt. I wonder what everyone thoughts are on how long to wait before taking ICND2... My focus has been on ICND1 exam topics, and I'm just starting to look into ICND2's topics. There are a lot of concepts in ICND2 that were on ICND1... Should I take it soon to make sure I don't forget what I've already learned in ICND1? Or should I take my time in preparing for part 2?

ICND2 is a monster. I am finding that out FIRST HAND in my cisco iv class. I would say, treat icnd2 like a totally different animal or to use a human reference, "BEAST" so I would say learn iCnd2 WAN topics with labbing first and then do a light review of icnd1 which I would think would be routing and switch command "configs"!
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Icnd2 works off many of the principles you learn from icnd1. You won't forget material in icnd1 if you go straight into studying for icnd2. In addition, icnd2 is a different beast then icnd1. Icnd1 was more what does such and such do compared to icnd2 which is more scenario based.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ICND2 is a completely different list of objectives.
  • BlowindoeBlowindoe Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As everyone else has stated. ICND2 should be treated as a whoel different test. The CCNA is not like the A+ 2 part test where you can just take them a week apart
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In my experience with the exams the icnd1 was a walk a park but icnd2 kicked my ass took me 3 tries.
  • The IT GuyThe IT Guy Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mohcom,

Take the time needed to prepare ICND2. Search previous ICND2 pass/fail post by those who came before you. Even when you feel you have mastered the concepts provided in your study materials, you must lab lab lab lab!. Efficient subnetting skills should be delveloped before taking a timed exam. The faster you can subnet, the more time you can spend on tough concepts and configurations without being too pressured by the clock.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took 4 months to focus on ICND2 after passing the ICND1. I recommend not rushing it as I found the ICND2 significantly more difficult than ICND1.

Good luck!
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mohcom wrote: »
    Should I take it soon to make sure I don't forget what I've already learned in ICND1?

Mohcom, are you planning to forget what you learned while studying for ICND1? That would be a shame! Your certification may help get you into an interview, but once you're there, you'll be expected to demostrate knowledge at the level you represented on your resume. Consider adopting a review process so forgetting becomes a non-issue.
  • mohcommohcom Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all very much. Advice taken :)
    - CCNP (Work In Progress)
    - CCNA
    - CCENT
    - Security+
    - B.S. Computer Science (Info. Systems Security)