Options

iPhone Vs GS3

BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
So my wife shattered her iPhone, I tried to fix the screen only to realize that there was damage to the board inside, and this was a drop of less than 3 feet that did all this damage. So I transfered my old iphone to her and decided I wanted to try out the new Samsung. I have always been a big fan of there TV's, but I have had bad experiences in the past with android with tablets (Asus Transformer). So I bought one of the new GS3's and I have to say I was expecting it to be typical android in that it was slow crashed allot. But so far I have been more impressed with the GS3 than I ever was of the iPhone 4. Am I crazy or is android really made some progress in the last year or so?
Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Yeah they made some good progress but so has Apple. Comparing a new phone to a phone that came out in 2010 isn't really fair.

Try to compare to a iPhone 5 if you want to compare iOS to Android on a fair level.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    You're only impressed with it because it's new. It will start slowing down and rebooting randomly soon enough. Android phones have a honeymoon phase, while iPhones perform the same throughout their lifespan. And they NEVER reboot randomly.

But as you know, iTunes is a chore.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like the iPhone 5. It fixed my largest annoyance - The audio jack in the top. Atleast when it came to plugging any other iDevice, i had wires every which way.

I still don't like using iTunes... but yeah... im crossing my fingers for windows.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    I'm actually just happy with the advances of ios6 right now, breathes new life into my iphone4. Love do not disturb mode.
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    You're going to have fanboys telling you that the iphone 5 is leagues better than the GS3 but it all comes down to personal preference. We've had a few of the GS3 here at work since launch day and have not had 1 randomly reboot. They are still as fast as the day we bought them...a couple are even faster with different roms on them.

My year old Bionic has never rebooted for that matter either and I'm constantly putting beta/unstable roms on it.
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    My Samsung Nexus has never rebooted itself. I am used to bigger screens, so iPhone is a little too small for me. And now when they removed google maps from the iOS, I know I am never getting an iPhone.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    webgeekwebgeek Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have tried an android phone and it sucks that after I buy a phone, a new android phone comes out what I feel like almost every other week. At least with Apple the iPhone is a yearly thing. I've had iPhone since day 1 and made the switch to android when I switched to Verizon. LTE how I miss thee! After a week I took that phone back and got me an iPhone 4 off of craigslist. Yes, android is open source and I'm all for that but the smooth and sexy style of the iPhone can't be matched. Plus the tests they have run on the iPhone 5 are awesome! Great upgrade for me!!! iPhone 4 to iPhone 5!!!

Today, my wife and I, are off and waiting on UPS to deliver our new iPhone 5's!!!!

Edit: We didn't take the day off, we just so happen to have it off! w00t! icon_cheers.gif
    BS in IT: Information Assurance and Security (Capella) CISSP, GIAC GSEC, Net+, A+
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I like the GS3 but I haven't owned one.... I do know that I hate that UI "enhancement" they put on it like the Galaxy Tab which made it laggy. I replaced that Touchwiz junk with two different Roms and no lag at all.

If you get an iPhone you get an "iPhone", meaning the third party industry will support it for some time. It's a standard I guess. Even with the new cable the industry will develop around it somehow.

Samsung is learning the lesson of focusing on a "brand" of product like Apple and making the "Galaxy" line their focal point rather than releasing a gazillion different phones all competing for different demographics/wallets. They seem to become more focused on supporting the Galaxy line with OS upgrades also. The reviews are really good for the GS3 and I would be tempted to switch to it and get rid of my **3!#!#!3 Motorola Razr. POS again failed to connect voice on a call, I could hear the person but they could not hear me. It's a known bug with the original Razr, early adopter joy!

Anyways, the problem with not going with the Galaxy Nexus Android phone is you get all the extra apps with the GS3. Samsung wants you to use their music/video/ringtones/etc so you get two for the price of one app wise because Samsung puts their junk plus Google. For the average user that "might be confusing".

With Apple you get "Apple", you know what is there is only that not extra add ons from third parties. When a new OS is announced and you are in the two year whatever window,odds are when the OS is released you get it. Android you may get it next month or next year or not at all. Samsung is looking to change that with the Galaxy line and I think they did. I saw an article that half of Android phones all have old security vulnerabilities because carriers give up on phones after a year. There is no financial incentive to upgrade.

I am going to upgrade to the iPhone 5 more than likely because I see the "add on" value that iOS has. There are just more quality apps available and the add on value is I have Apple TV and the iPad so my Razr is sort of left out of that eco-system and Google doesn't really have much of an ecosystem since Google TV and the Nexus G are kind of non existent. So I can stream from my wife's Mac to the Apple TV or her iPhone and Photostream is kinda cool.

If your not invested in Apple's ecosystem then I "feel" the GS3 is a nice phone but like I said I don't own one.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Anyone consider buying a Galaxy Note II?, that would be my first android phone, I never had an iPhone and probably never will.

My current device is a BlackBerry 9800, before it I had a Nokia N97, before that Sony Ericsson p990.
    All have full QWERTY keyboards and I love that, I am hoping that the huge screen of the Note II will compensate for the lack of the keyboard.
  • Options
    Holy heck the Note is a big phone.....I am kinda tired of the big screen on my Razr because it is awkward using it one handed and trying to reach to the opposite upper corners if an app is there.
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I have the Moto droid X2 and I really like the big screen. When I am up for an upgrade I have made it a point that I will only get the Google Nexus or the iPhone because I am tired of not getting the updates for the new OS. I would only like the buy a phone that the manufacture makes the phone and the OS. I honestly have never had a problem with Android, so I will probably stick with it.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    SteveLord wrote: »
    You're only impressed with it because it's new. It will start slowing down and rebooting randomly soon enough. Android phones have a honeymoon phase, while iPhones perform the same throughout their lifespan. And they NEVER reboot randomly.

Well, this just isn't true. I have had a GS3 for a little while now and it's been lovely the entire time. I don't root my phone or install stupid, random apps and it just works. I also love the large screen and its battery life has been pretty damn good.
  • Options
    I was curious as to why the Google Nexus phone is 349 from Google but 650 dollars from Verizon but noticed the Google Nexus is not usable on Verizon....
  • Options
    Well, this just isn't true. I have had a GS3 for a little while now and it's been lovely the entire time. I don't root my phone or install stupid, random apps and it just works. I also love the large screen and its battery life has been pretty damn good.

That is the GS3 though, there are a lot of the mid range phones out there that people pick up not knowing much.

It's not always stupid, random apps that cause issues. I found that Google sync was killing the battery on my Nexus 7. It was keeping the tablet awake and constantly trying to sync, fail and the battery would be dead before I got home from work.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    The current Android and iOS phones are very competitive and it really does come down to personal preference.

At the end of the day I really just want my phone to work for the simple tasks that I ask of it and the iPhone does that perfectly day after day. It's actually why I'm ditching my Anrdoid phone and carrying a second iPhone instead of one of each.

If I wanted to put a little more time and effort into supporting my own mobile device then I probably would stick to Android but I'm making a informed decision based on my personal preference. I've actually been carrying both an iPhone and Android phone for a few years now.

Anyone who says one is better than the other overall is just ignorant.
  • Options
    Also, since this apparently was a HUGE deal last year with the 4S and GS2: The iPhone 5's new design beats the GS3 in drop tests. Several different videos out there.

Akaricloud wrote: »

Exactly. It's all about weighing the pros and cons of each and determining which is best for you. ;)
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Regarding the iPhone 5, I've seen some really impressive 'drop tests' on YouTube. In one the case actually started warping before the screen cracked. Anyway with my luck the screen will crack anyway :)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    That is the GS3 though, there are a lot of the mid range phones out there that people pick up not knowing much.

It's not always stupid, random apps that cause issues. I found that Google sync was killing the battery on my Nexus 7. It was keeping the tablet awake and constantly trying to sync, fail and the battery would be dead before I got home from work.

Yes, but the comment I was replying to was in response to the GS3.
  • Options

It drove me away from mine. My Android would reboot randomly just sitting in my holster. It was also the most bloated phone I had ever seen. The fact that "process" and "memory" managers were recommended...frankly just annoyed me. Like I was dealing with a 10yr old PC in my pocket that I had to babysit. However, I do miss the keyboard. And while being able to use an NES emulator was cool.....that's where it ended. The 8MP/1080P camera was sluggish as hell. Waiting 3 seconds to take a picture (while avoiding the slightest bit of movement) of your kids is an eternity. Forced closes of apps were also common.

I also have XOOM Tablet, with the latest ICS operating system that was the ultimate thing to have. It runs no better. Just tonight, I was trying to use the google browser, firefox and dolphin just to get a tv show (via flash) to play properly. I still can't believe the makers of Chrome can't make a comparable built in mobile browser that is as quick.

So there's 2 personal examples where Android products let me down. And they aren't limited to just me. There are plenty of people out there experiencing the same thing, but also plenty that enjoy them and just end up with a better phone.

Both are good. And neither are the greatest thing since sliced bread. My biggest pet peeve is those who say either one is. But to be honest, I think there is a larger anti-Apple crowd than actual people that would be considered Apple worshipers. Android is the best competition to them, but it is also not without it's pitfalls. And like Apple, there are more than just what I named here.
  • Options
    The camera lag was a problem I had with my HTC and Razr.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    SteveLord wrote: »

I agree with you. My very first smart phone is Motorola DroidX, and nothing but problem. It is very slow and reboots randomly. I still have 5 months left for my contract to end, but I am thinking to pay the termination fee and get an iPhone to end my issues.
    Opening an app is just takes 5-7secs on DroidX.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    I-phone 5 is available in my country now, I saw it in two shops,
    Shop#1 for 1,588 US$
    Shop #2 for a more reasonable price of 1,562 US$

I am sure some idiots will still buy them

GS3 costs around 650 US$
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So I had a chance to play with the iPhone 5 this weekend, as a friend of mine got his and let me molest it for a few hours. and TBH im a bit underwhelmed, It honestly didnt feel any different than my 4S, just a bigger screen that honestly felt more awkward than anything else. Im not trying to be biased here, because I have had an iphone since the 1st gen was out in japan. There just isn't enough for me to justify paying full price to upgrade my phone. I am enjoying my GS3, im glad I made the switch.
    Although I respect your opinions in this thread, to each their own, I just wanted to see what peoples perspective between the two were.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »
    I-phone 5 is available in my country now, I saw it in two shops,
    Shop#1 for 1,588 US$
    Shop #2 for a more reasonable price of 1,562 US$
    I am sure some idiots will still buy them
    GS3 costs around 650 US$

Price gone done already
    Shop #3 for 1,167 US$
    Shop #3 for 1,140 US$

Imagine the shock for the people that bought them 2 days ago.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    The current Android and iOS phones are very competitive and it really does come down to personal preference.

Really?! Let's cut through the chase, shall we:
    Blackout, if you are in doubt between S3 and Iphone 5, consider these two points:
    1. Integration with what you already have.
    This is the point where S3 beats iPhone heavily. Even if your home entertainment system consists only of an HDMI- capable TV (which most new models are, these days), the only other thing needed to stream content from S3 to your big flat TV is an HDMI cable that will connect those two together. With network- capable TV, things are even easier. File sharing between other members of your home network? Breeze. You can even remotely drive your S3 from your computer for things like texting and contact list editing via apps like AirDroid, or vice versa- RDP your PC from your S3 when you don't feel like sitting in front of the box/laptop and lab stuff you need for your upcoming IT cert test.
    You could do all those things with iPhone ONLY if your house is already full of other Apple products- only in that case iPhone integrates well.
    The problem with the iPhone is that you aren't buying just a phone, you are getting yourself forced into an ecosystem tightly guarded and controlled, where you don't have much say. For better (or worse) that isn't the case with S3. It will happily play along with whatever you have already at home.
    2. What kind of monster are you feeding with those money you'll spend on the new phone
    Patent trolling and other forms of anti-competitive behavior, workers' rights abuse, zero parts made in the US despite building its ecosystem totaly dependent on the US consumer... ethically sourced product is the last thing you could say about any of the Apple products. Workers at assembly lines of a major Apple supplier driven to suicide, getting beaten up by factory guards, living in dormitories of 12 per room- about 75 thousand of them on a plant, in a regime dead- focused on quashing any chance of a revolt against substandard working and living conditions, do you really want to hand feed that kind of monster, whatever miniscule your contribution in feeding it is?
    But, if you have super extra cash on hand, you may want to get both phones, just because both of them might be pulled out of the US market for legal reasons: Apple, as a consequence of its recent legal win wants to get S3 out of market and Samsung is getting ready to sue Apple over its use of 4G LTE in iPhone 5 (Samsung owns several important patents on 4G LTE chips) which might get that phone as well pull out of the market.
  • Options
    All electronics have ethics issues for crying out loud lol. If you are buying a different electronic device you support directly or very closely companies that support labor abuses. And patent trolling is corporate warfare out of control but patent trolling is an issue with tech blogs that don't properly represent actual patents, Engadget is guilty of that.

Plus, many third party manufacturers support iTunes streaming or since DRM was dropped a while back any third party application can stream your music. To say you need to integrate yourself into the Apple ecosystem is based on FUD to be honest or little experience with the stuff.

I also have apps both Android and iOS that allow RDP access to my stuff. Again to say you can only with Android is incorrect or based on out of date information, like really out of date....

The thing is third party developers hardware wise work on stuff that works "with" Apple because there is a market for it also.

Samsung denies the allegations but this was the same group that accused Apple that is routinely cited in blogs.

Samsung labor violations discovered in eight more factories in China
    Is Samsung Infringing Upon Apple’s Patent to Bully Workers?(New York) Today, China Labor Watch (CLW) released an investigative report on 8 of Samsung’s directly-operated and supplier factories throughout China, including factories in Tianjin, Weihai, Huizhou, Suzhou, and Shenzhen. These factories, together employing over 20,000 workers, manufacture cell phones, DVD players, mobile displays, air conditioners, and other electronics and related parts for Samsung.
    Conducting investigations from May to August 2012, CLW has uncovered a long list of severe labor abuses in these 8 factories, including but not limited to well over 100 hours of forced overtime work per month, unpaid work, standing for 11 to 12 hours while working, underage workers, severe age and gender discrimination, abuse of student and labor dispatch workers, a lack of worker safety, and verbal and physical abuse. Moreover, workers lack of any effective internal grievance channel by which to rectify these transgressions.

In August 2012, CLW published a report on child labor and other abuses in a Samsung supplier factory called HEG. Our current investigation reveals that labor violations are not simply limited to the HEG factory. Rather, these problems are rampant throughout the entire Samsung manufacturing and supply network in China.

One of the worst violators is a supplier factory called Tianjin Intops Co., Ltd, which employs about 1200 workers, almost all of whom are female dispatch workers. Here, workers must work standing for 11 hours per day, assembling one cell phone casing every 5 seconds. During peak seasons, they must work up to 150 hours of overtime per month, where the legal limit is 36 hours. And these workers are dependent on overtime for a living wage because their monthly base salaries are one half of their overtime wages. On the factory floor, for no apparent reason, workers are not allowed to wear shoes. Foremen are verbally abusive, and when these young women leave the factory, security guards will often berate them. Intops provides absolutely no safety training for workers, and those responsible for printing are not even provided masks to protect them from fumes.

This sort of illegal and inhumane treatment is rampant among Samsung’s factories and supply chain. We demand that Samsung immediately begin the process of rectifying these abuses. With profits of over $12 billion in 2011, we are confident that Samsung has the wherewithal to systematically improve labor conditions for its network of factories and supplier factories in China.

• Options
    destini99destini99 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    I got the Galaxy Note II monster 2 hours ago, will post pics in a new thread later :D