Options

Office 97 on Windows XP

dhight1980dhight1980 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am trying to install office on an XP computer. I would like to do it as cheap as possible, which to me would mean office 97. However, I have heard that I may encounter problems running office 97 in xp. If anybody knows anything about this I would appreciate your feedback. Should I drop the extra 40 bucks to get office 200 or is office 97 good enough???

thanks

Comments

• Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    I've beening running it on xp home version for 2 years with no troubles.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    ive heard there are problems installing it. u havent heard anything about this??
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I installed it on 2 PCs this past Friday for a client - no problems that I know of. Except for incompatibility with newer versions.
    There was supposed to be some issue, but this client has been using it since XP came out without any real issues. However they have had to upgrade on several machines to run software supplied by their finance company as it needs access 2000 or later.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    ive been looking at other forums online and found that its more of a problem installing it on sp2. just google it and there is a regedit fix in one of the forums that everybody responded to as "works great". i have not tried it yet but if anybody has the problem i think that is the solution. war jim rome war cheap software war detroit hosting the allstar game and war detroit lions im out (if u arent a jim rome fan ignore the last couple lines)

thanks for ur feedback
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I didn't have any problems installing or running it on SP2. If you are unsure of what the result will be, back up and install. If it turns out that something goes wrong then restore from backup
  • Options
    draineydrainey Member Posts: 261
    Have upgraded both pc's to sp2. I have also just installed another, p4 1.8GHz, 1GB DDR400, 20GB WD with XP Pro and SP2. Installed office97 on it with no problems.
    The irony truly is strange that you're the only one you can change. -- Anthony Gomes
  • Options
    I was able to install it with no problem but every time I open a document a box opens saying that the document ius already open. the document opens but the error has me curious.