Options

SDM vs CLI in CCENT

mgates67mgates67 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
The CBTNugget series mentions that the CCENT exam uses the SDM GUI. Does anyone know what the flexibility is? In other words, am I required to learn the SDM or will I be able to use either SDM or CLI?

I am quite familiar with the CLI, but not the SDM. I don't currently have access to a router that supports SDM (I only have a couple of 2514s - old, I know). If I need to learn the SDM, I need to figure out what to get to do that.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe that SDM is still in the ICND1 topics. Learn how to set it up to access it via CLI, play around with it. Its very easy. If you know and understand CLI you'll have no problems with the SDM GUI.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not worried about my ability to learn the GUI, I'm questioning whether or not it is required for the exam. Does the exam give you the option for SDM or CLI or is using the SDM required to pass the exam? Thanks.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No one can tell you what is on the exam. Check out the exam blue print as MAC_Addy pointed out and be prepared for anything on there.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
    mgates67 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not worried about my ability to learn the GUI, I'm questioning whether or not it is required for the exam. Does the exam give you the option for SDM or CLI or is using the SDM required to pass the exam? Thanks.

Required, not required. This subject is listed in the ICND1 exam topics. If somebody on this forum tells you not required. Would you risk not looking into it at all?
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Considering SDM isn't supported anymore, my wishful thinking was that Cisco would remove it and toss in a chapter regarding the basics of MPLS - But I'm sure there are many reasons MPLS isn't in the curriculum.
  • Options
    Required, not required. This subject is listed in the ICND1 exam topics. If somebody on this forum tells you not required. Would you risk not looking into it at all?

Good point. Touché, as it were.

YFZblu is correct, it has been discontinued. It's difficult to find, but it is still available on Cisco's website. Now I just need to get a router that will support it...
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    I've used the SDM once and I could figure it out because I knew what I wanted to make it do.
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Considering SDM isn't supported anymore, my wishful thinking was that Cisco would remove it and toss in a chapter regarding the basics of MPLS - But I'm sure there are many reasons MPLS isn't in the curriculum.

I would definitely get CLI experience over SDM exp any day of the week of the year! SDM is in the dummies CCNA that im on now: "apparently you have to be smart to read dummies!"