Options

Broadband Router/Cisco Switch

lfcwhoelselfcwhoelse Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anyone please help I am studying for my ICND1 exam and someone gave me a cisco 2950 switch (for future use in the course). Anyway I have Broadband at home (four port) which is now full. I need more ports can I use the Cisco 2950 switch to link to my home router to add more ports so I can add more devices? What do I need to do (please remember I have just been give the switch but do not know how to use it).

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First you'll need a console cable.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'll give you the full set up instructions for a small consulting fee! :D

Or you could just blank it and it should be good to go right out of the box for what you are looking for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    First you'll need a console cable.

How do I use it ?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You need to do some research on your own man. Google up Cisco 2950 initial set up and it should get you on your way.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    I'll give you the full set up instructions for a small consulting fee! :D

Or you could just blank it and it should be good to go right out of the box for what you are looking for.

This is correct... if you don't know what a console cable is and cant default the switch I would recommend just buying a unmanaged switched mini switch for the time being... you can get them very very cheap
  • Options
    xXErebuS wrote: »
    This is correct... if you don't know what a console cable is and cant default the switch I would recommend just buying a unmanaged switched mini switch for the time being... you can get them very very cheap

Thanks everyone good to know you give excellent advice well done !!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Just plugged one cable from Cisco 2950 (port 1)switch to port one of router and connected rest of the cables in to the cisco switch works a treat !!

Oh by the way this information is free ... hope it helps other beginners :)