Publishing articles for career growth

MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
Has anyone here ever published an article on a tech site or as a guest blogger on a large blog?

It seems like this could look really good on your resume, adding lines like :

Published, somewebsite.com, "Getting the Most From Your vSphere", June 2012
Guest Blogger, sometechblog.com, "Realized Cost Savings from Migrating to Hyper-V", May 2011

etc

If so how did you submit your article or idea for an article?

Am I crazy thinking this would look really good on a resume, especially if you could get on some of the larger sites.
Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA

Comments

• kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I don't think you're crazy.

I think that it would be on a case-by-case on whether or not the guy looking at your resume to how they think about it. If it's on a site that the person frequents and believes offers good information I'd say it would be very helpful. If you happen to pick a site that the person despises or feels doesn't offer anything worth to read... Case-by-case in my mind.

Especially with how bad the internet has been with all kinds of sites that the only thing they really do is post the same information from elsewhere with just a slightest variation picking the site would be very important.

MiikeB wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever published an article on a tech site or as a guest blogger on a large blog?

It seems like this could look really good on your resume, adding lines like :

Published, somewebsite.com, "Getting the Most From Your vSphere", June 2012
    Guest Blogger, sometechblog.com, "Realized Cost Savings from Migrating to Hyper-V", May 2011

etc

If so how did you submit your article or idea for an article?

Am I crazy thinking this would look really good on a resume, especially if you could get on some of the larger sites.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU