Options

Help with ccna and CCNP lab please

Stevo7Stevo7 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys I'm currently preparing for ccent but I'm in the middle of building a lab that will also be enough for CCNP too, I currently only have a 851w router and. 2960 switch, I'm waiting for more deals to come up, I'm looking for the cheapest option outside of gns3 as I want real gear. I'm guessing I'm going to need at least 3 switches and 3-5 routers? Can anyone suggest models to look out for and avoid while on the hunt for low cost gear?

Im from Australia so it's a bit harder to find cheaper gear here than in the USA,

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    I recommend the 2600xm series of routers. I prefer the 2620xm myself, as there seem to be a lot of them on eBay, and they are relatively cheap to max out on memory. This allows you to use IOS images up to 12.4T. For CCNP you'll need at least one layer 3 switch, and most people tend to use the 3550, which is an excellent switch for these purposes. If you want some really good recommendations on equipment, spend some time scrolling through the pics of people's lab in the Labs thread. This will give you a good idea of what most folks are using for their home labs.

Good luck!
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    If you ever happen to chance upon a c3560 switch priced at the c3750 range, snatch it immediately =p rare or impossible maybe, but won't hurt to keep in mind hehe.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Stevo7 wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm currently preparing for ccent but I'm in the middle of building a lab that will also be enough for CCNP too, I currently only have a 851w router and. 2960 switch, I'm waiting for more deals to come up, I'm looking for the cheapest option outside of gns3 as I want real gear. I'm guessing I'm going to need at least 3 switches and 3-5 routers? Can anyone suggest models to look out for and avoid while on the hunt for low cost gear?

Im from Australia so it's a bit harder to find cheaper gear here than in the USA,

Thanks guys :)

I just want to tell you I can help with CCNA labs in the very near future but maybe not as much for the equipment but definitely some labs involving a myriad of CLI/config/mgt skills. I also will try to play directly with the equipment via netacad class so I can get back with you on the specific models and equipment.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Check out certificationkits.com. They have a great section on the pros/cons of various Cisco gear for certification study.