Options

Motivational Post

I have been active on these forums for few years now, just not much in posting in the last few months. If you knew me personally you would know how much I hate the idea of college. Not in whole, but the idea that we should push our children to going right out of school. Let's drown our children in debt for them to learn something that might not even interest them. There is a time for college and that is after a few years. You experience the world, understand your place, understand what you can offer and can do. Everyone has a niche. It takes time to learn yours. College is pointless till you understand this. Now on to the point of this...

I have stumbled through life, moving from job to job. Not really knowing what I wanted to do. I knew that I was good with computers, had a desire to learn networking and have a overwhelming niche to be able to fix anything. WGU fit into this and would help my expand my talents and give me documentation that stated that I knew my stuff. Graduating last year I was not sure what I wanted to do once again.

Went through the whole interview process for job after job, not really finding my place. I had the chance to start doing work for myself and being an independent contractor. WGU helped me on this as it gave me the resources and certifications to show I know what I was doing. It started slow, very slow. If I made a $1000 a month I had a good month. As this month comes to a close, I am now edging on $10,000/month. I just bought another company out and am in talks to merge with yet another.

What I am trying to get at is that is if you put your mind at something, have a vision and stay persistent - you will succeed. WGU may be a good choice or any school for that matter. It just has to be something that you believe in. My story involves WGU but it could be any college. It has been a dream of mine to work for myself. I tried numerous times but failed. By getting my degree it opened so many doors.

To bring this full circle to my original thought, if I would of been forced into college out of high school - like so many our, I would have never had time to realize what I was good at. You are never too old to go to school nor to learn anything.

Good luck to everyone and their endeavors. Never stop wanting what you want.
Courses Completed at WGU: JIT2, LYT2, TFT2, SJT2, BFC2, TGT2, FXT2
Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
CU Done this term: 16 Total CU Done: 19
Currently working on: Nothing Graduation Goal: 5/2013

Comments

• Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Thanks for the motivation, I really felt it. What do you do exactly and when was your first break and how?
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    themagicone - I find your words very inspirational. I too am just starting college (WGU) after working as a mover, security guard, bookseller, etc, etc... It's good to know that someone has been there, done it and is on the path to achieving his goals. Thanks for sharing those timely thoughts, man! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    This post is very motivational indeed. I used to hate school, barely scraped by high school and would have failed miserably if I went to college right after graduation. A few years later after some time in the service and a few real jobs, I am dual enrolled in a CIS and Business program and have 5 classes to go for CIS and 10 classes to go for Business. The scorecard: 3.92 GPA for CIS and 3.62 GPA for Business! I don't think it is ever too late to go back to school, but I'm with you, it can be too early! I just can't wait to finish up and get working again. Good job Magic, glad things are coming together for you.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck buddy in your career :)
    By the way, is there a specific training/book that you recommend for launching his own company?
  • Options
    thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice post, I am not eligible for WGU as I am from the UK has anyone got alternatives for someone from the UK as I have been interested in doing a degree. Thanks
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    You could try the Open University. Try sending in details of your vendor qualifications, to see if they accept it as credit transfer. I'd try to get that information in ASAP to start in February.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    -snip-

I’m trying to stay motivated, but it’s been very hard to do this lately. I graduated from a for profit college, and like you I did move from job to job. When I was younger I attempted to go to school for computers, but I believe I just wasn’t motivated enough to finish. Currently, I have been to 40-50 job interviews. I have a AAS degree in IT, plus the A+,net Sec+t+. I never make it to the second round interview process, often times I wonder if it’s something I’m doing wrong???

Currently, I work 3 jobs, but two of them are very flexible. I work my print job, another job as a computer repair intern, and once in awhile I do field work for Work Market. I really enjoy fixing computers, and there is a rush I get when I face a new problem or challenge. Also, I like helping my boss (at the computer repair internship) find new ways to make his business more profitable. I put in between 40-55 hours a week depending on my work load. I just hope someone gives me a chance at a full time IT job.

I have told recruiters, HR, and senior techs about the work market jobs, and my internship and that is starting to get them to notice me more when I go into interviews. Additionally, I feel more confident being able to show them what I have done after school. I just hope someone will see me as an asset and give me a chance.

I’m not sure what I want to do in IT, but working on computers fascinates me. I really enjoy
    being the knowledge base/ troubleshooting guy. I’m not sure if I ever want to own my own business, but I do like helping businesses or people become more efficient with the technology
    they currently use.

I was studying for the 70-640, but I work so much, I just don’t have any time to study for it.

Ps magicone-Thanks for showing, suggesting, and mentioning I take jobs on workmarket. It has really helped me get some experience.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    lfcgeorge : You can also try Home | University of London International Programmes. I am currently enrolled in their BSc Information Systems and Management course and it seems good value for money. They are, I belive, also cheaper than Open University.
  • Options
    thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Zorodzai wrote: »
    lfcgeorge : You can also try Home | University of London International Programmes. I am currently enrolled in their BSc Information Systems and Management course and it seems good value for money. They are, I belive, also cheaper than Open University.

Thanks a lot guys :) I'm gonna research both places when I get home later today
  • Options
    Complete_IT_ProfessionalComplete_IT_Professional Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow that's a great story! Congratulations on all your success so far!
    I run CompleteITProfessional.com - a website dedicated to helping IT professionals improve their careers.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm totally starting my own trading/investing business within a year! :)
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Thanks for the words man
    ALways can use a bit of this every now and then

Ive been working very hard for the past 2 years like at some points more then 60 hrs in 5 days
    and Im starting to think My worth in the market is exactly the same as 2 years ago
    I just keep studying and studying
    and trying, and hopefully Ill get better

Some motivation of mine are this forums, Some people here are just amazing and I want to be like one of them eventually.
    Or at least half of what some of them are
    meh
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Folks: Success is a Journey, not the destination.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Folks: Success is a Journey, not the destination.

+1 Rep for this. So true. Ask billionaires if they're a success, and many (the majority) will say they've done successful things, but are still a work in progress.

I promise those out there, once you get your first big break, there's a sigh of relief (for about 5 minutes if you're anything like me), then you realize it's time to get to work for the next big step.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Inspirational indeed. Thank you for the great words. Also, congrats on your great success!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Thanks everyone. Finally got another moment of fleeting free time to post again. It never really hit me that I am doing exactly what I wanted to do all along nor being successful at it. Too early to claim a huge victory. I can say is if you start a business, start with an idea but be dynamic. You need to be fluid, dynamic, moveable, etc. I'm still trying to nail down my core business but I take everything I can to just to keep moving in the direction I want. There is a few huge items in the pipe that if they work out, will be GREAT. But I have an out and other stuff to fall back on.

For those who want to start your own business, there isn't no manual or guide. Just find your niche and a need. Fill those 2 items and just build off it. Oh, and must handle stress well. Between yesterday and today I am ready to just scream + jump out the window. But took a break, have work again tomorrow followed by business meetings all day.

For those curious - I run a field services company. We handle network roll outs, service calls, wiring projects, name it - we do it. For those in MN if you saw the webcam of the new bridge on 35e being moved in, I installed that. Put a camera on a pier on st. croix river to record that going together. Just got done wiring Best Buy Oakdale and Burnsville also. Busy Busy
    Courses Required For Me To Graduate WGU in MS: IT Network Managment: MCT2, LZT2, MBT1, MDT2, MNT2
  • Options
    themagiconethemagicone Member Posts: 674
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    +1 Rep for this. So true. Ask billionaires if they're a success, and many (the majority) will say they've done successful things, but are still a work in progress.

I promise those out there, once you get your first big break, there's a sigh of relief (for about 5 minutes if you're anything like me), then you realize it's time to get to work for the next big step.

So I guess there was one moment that I got that feeling. Got a call from a 3M contractor. Wanted me to sign on for a year for senior network engineer. Got offered close to 6 figures. Ended up still turning it down but had that moment of "Wow I am getting my name out there and people know what I am capable of doing"