What type of questions on subnetting should I expect on the ICND1??

DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I want to be prepared when it comes to subnetting for the icnd1 but I don't know what kind of questions the test is going to ask... I've been on subnettingquestions.com for 3 solid days and they basically ask questions along the lines of here's the ip address and the subnet mask, what's the first/last host, what subnet is this address in, and what's the broadcast off the given address... oh and here is the address and the subnet mask... how many networks and hosts can we get from it... bottom line I can do these almost in my head which most of the questions they are giving me i can do in about 10 seconds but I don't know if that's enough...

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deemeetri wrote: »
    bottom line I can do these almost in my head which most of the questions they are giving me i can do in about 10 seconds but I don't know if that's enough...

If you can calculate random subnets within 30 seconds, and do /8, /16, /24, and /30 instantly, you should be fine. There are many, many ways Cisco or an interviewer can ask subnetting questions. If you're been using just one source, fine another. Good sources include Lammle, Odom, or Boson. You could also use the search function on these forums. I wouldn't use random Internet websites--I've seen more people confused by that than helped by that, as there's alot of wrong info floating around.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with what NetworkVeteran said.

My two cents: In my experience, subnetting quickly was not a huge deal in ICND1. At that time I was subnetting on paper still, and finished with about 10 minutes remaining. Conversely I failed ICND2 the first time because I ran out of time, largely because of the subnetting.
  • DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm but I mean in ICND1, do they only ask you to find which subnet the given address is in, the host range, the broadcast address and questions like "we have this address, we need x amount of networks and x amount of hosts, what's the best subnet mask?" or do they ask you more twisted questions is what I was asking guys :)
  • jonragejonrage Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    subnettingquestions.com is a good start but its not enough. you want to get really good at looking at diagrams and quickly subnetting multiple hosts (5, 10 or more). after you practice subnetting with diagrams it gets easy. look at every 5 questions you answer on subnettingquestions.com as one question on the real exam.

use ur subnetting skills on practice exams that have diagrams with lots of host. the cisco press icnd1 book came with a very good practice exam that was much harder than the real exam. if you don't have that book get "boson exsim max" to practice with. once you get comfortable with the network diagrams in ur studys, the exam is more manageable.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Deemeetri wrote: »
    Hmm but I mean in ICND1, do they only ask you to find which subnet the given address is in, the host range, the broadcast address and questions like "we have this address, we need x amount of networks and x amount of hosts, what's the best subnet mask?" or do they ask you more twisted questions is what I was asking guys :)

Answering that question at the very least teeters on violating NDA, if not blatantly violates it.

The Boson exam simulators are a great representation of what is on the test, so that might be your next step.
  • DeemeetriDeemeetri Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I honestly don't have the funds to purchase anymore material, I have CBT nuggets, and I have both recommended Odom and Lammle books, I cant afford the Bosom engine... is there a good site that you guys know of where I can practice subnetting with diagrams if that's what's required??? I would greatly appreciate any help guys
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    subnettingquestions.com is pretty good

Most importantly, you need to be able to convert between decimal and binary. Once you are able to do that, things should come together pretty easily. Practice your binary religiously.

http://forums.cisco.com/CertCom/game/binary_game_page.htm

This game was extremely helpful for me.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Per my ICND1 book:
    "You should be able to answer in 10-12 seconds a straightforward question such as, "In what subnet does IP address 19.143.253.17, with mask 255.255.192.0, reside."

Per my experience the content: Everything but VLSM.

Do 3 every day before studying.

Expect to have questions that'll test your ability to subnet & something else. Or one of the steps will be subnetting, and there'll be a couple other things you'll need to do. Questions that won't directly ask you to do a forward calculation. Atleast if you get the math down, it's one part you won't need to worry about.

If I remember correctly that's what my subnetting questions were - roundabouts.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• cpartincpartin Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • jonragejonrage Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the odem book is the same as the cisco press book i was referring to. so you have it already, perfect! use the practice questions that came with that book. go to this website and practice here too.

networking-forum.com - Practice Subnetting

they have a nice little chart (on the bottom left on the page) that you can use to subnet faster. use it when you study and when you sit for ur exam write it down on the dry erase sheet they will give you. you should practice writing it out everyday until you can do it from memory. also very helpful...

everyday (and just before exam) write down powers of 2 - at least up to 2^12

and times tables. multiply by 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 and 128. each of them up to 256.

i learned these techniques from todd lamle and i got all my subnetting question right on my ccent. u'll have 15 minutes before the exam to write all this down. but if it's ur 1st exam, i would watch the tutorial on how to take the exam 1st (to make sure you understand how the exam works) and then with the time left write all this stuff down.

i know it seems like a lot. but if you do it everyday until exam day, u'll breeze through all ur subnetting questions like nothing.
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Overall, what are your opinions on and how would you guys rate the practice questions that came with the official ICND1 book, one thing that is **** me off is with the simulations which are being marked wrong even if you archived the original goal of the simulation.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Check out Cisco's site as to the type of questions that will be on the exam -

Certification Exam Tutorial - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

hth