Options

Issue with Newer Cisco VoIP sets passing traffic to SONUS Soft Switch

So, in a new position, and one of the issues I have been asked to review is this.
We are currently running a SONUS soft switch, which runs the registration and call flow for the VoIP sets deployed by customers.
The issue is, the SONUS will only support RFC compliant devices. Cisco has come out, via a TAC case, and stated that the newer Cisco VoIP sets are not RFC compliant. Mainly due to Cisco wanting them only to operate behind a Call Manager.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
What I am working on
CCNP Route (Currently) 80% done
CCNP Switch (Next Year)
CCNP TShoot (Next Year)

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Damn cisco its like that. Well I don't do much outside of off the cisco product line these days. That is pretty cut and dry right there. My question for you is are you running the sccp load or the SIP load. I'm guessing if you are running the SIP load they should support other vendors gear in some way shape or form. But also what phone models are you using?
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    Told it is a SIP Load.
    SONUS has taken a very hardline in stating they will not re-engineer to deviate from their "RFC Compliant Only" stance.
    What I am working on
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • Options
    What is the phone model?
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    kmcintosh78kmcintosh78 Member Posts: 195
    Cisco 7962
    What I am working on
    CCNP Switch (Next Year)
    CCNP TShoot (Next Year)
  • Options
    Im' not to familure with other vendors cloud devices, but I would try some 7961's. Also start looking for phones that work with your product line. If cisco has stated that this was a business move then either SONUS has to create a work around or you have to find another phone vendor.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    Was the logic with recommending 7961's because they are End-of-Sale / End-of-Life?

My assumption is that with a SIP load any of the Cisco phones should be operable with your softswitch. I know that's the case with Asterisk PBX.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • Options
    I've gotten 7961s to work with Asterisk as well. I'm not sure of the newer models.
    Currently Reading

• Options
    sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    I know the new models have a improvements on security. I'm wondering if clearing CTL/ITL file would have something to do with it. I have a 7961's and 62's in home lab ... I may have to test this out to find out. I have no experience with SONUS though, so I don't know what's required there.

@kmcintosh78 - have you tried using Cisco softphone client or 3rd party SIP phone?
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow