Options

Network stats......

EverythingPCownerEverythingPCowner Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ive been asked to setup a sniffer on the sniffer port of our switch...and create a report of traffic. I want to show the percentage of traffic that each protocol is taking up. I want to limit it to http,ftp,telnet. Im using ethereal now....but im not satisfied with the reports....perhaps i dont have enough experiance with it, but its displaying way more than i need. I need something more......basic and strait forward (pie chart perhaps) if anyone can recomend a good sniffer w/report creation or a good cap analyzer that would be great. Thanks
Alabama or Bust!

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could have a look at Nitpicker (www.nitpicker.de).

It's a nice tool that captures traffic and will create so called flow-files which hold information on all traffic seen by the box it is running on.

However, it does not include tools to do what you want/need to but if you have some coding skills it should not be too hard to achieve what you are looking for.

Regards,
    Lordy
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    I havent messed around with ethereal to much, but you should be able to use filters to get only the protocols that you want with most packet analyzers.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    Thanks, ill look into it. Ill let ya know what works out best.
    Alabama or Bust!
  • Options
    I am using a laptop running ethereal in promiscuous mode. i am using the switched port analyzer port on our 4507r catalyst switch. Im having trouble handling all the traffic on my laptop. Ive been given the OK to purchase a hardware sniffer....good deal. Thanks for your help
    Alabama or Bust!