Options

IPad Mini - If true, anyone interested in picking one up?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
IPad Insight is now reporting invites to go out on the 10th of this month for an event on Oct 17th. If the price is right, is anyone going to pick up one of these? I can see picking one up for the grandson for Christmas so I can face time / skype more easily with him then through his mom's phone.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Wouldn't an iPad mini be an iPhone?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    lol pretty much, minus the cellular part. Supposedly the size of a Kindle/Nook tablet.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm gonna pass already got a tablet. icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Given my use (reading books, RDP), I hate the 7" format. Anybody shares my dislike?
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    i'm looking to get a tablet but honestly right now the Windows Surface seems more interesting to me then a mini ipad.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I actually like the smaller format for a lot of tasks. I already have a "new" iPad, so I couldn't justify it, but if I were looking to buy new I would struggle to choose between "new" and mini.

It's a mistake to think that smartphones and 7''(ish) tablets compete or are the same thing. They are very different, and iPad mini definitely has a place in the market. I think 7'' is just fine for reading books -- in fact, I read an entire Song of Ice and Fire book on a 7'' tablet. They're great for movies as well. It's a really good compromise between a smartphone and a bulky 10'' tablet. The larger screens can be nice in some circumstances, but 10'' is just big enough that it's hard not to use a kickstand-type case and have it stationary during use. A 7'' is highly usable as an actual portable device. You can't quite one-hand it like a smartphone, but it's much more portable than the bigger ones.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wouldn't an iPad mini be an iPhone?

Galaxy Nexus = Nexus 7 lol.
  • Options
    I think an iPad mini would be ok, I am kinda meh on the Nexus 7 because it seems to be in a weird place in the Android ecosystem. Some of the apps I have on my Razr won't install on the Nexus because it says "not supported", I read it's something with the DPI setting but I don't feel like rooting and then manually changing a setting. Hopefully the app developers modify the apps to allow them to be installed. Mostly its the shopping apps like Amazon another is Flipboard which they still say they have don't have any plans to develops a tablet app.

I think app developers will support the iPad mini but 7 is too small for comic books and magazines. I read there is supposed to be a 99 dollar Nexus coming out, at that price I think a lot of people will get it for kids and gifts.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I already own a Nexus 7 and my next tablet purchase (if any) will be a Surface when it comes out.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The Nexus was made by Samsung. The Nexus 7 was made by ASUS, so they're not similar, especially given the innards.

The problem with Apple is the similarity in parts and OS for their ecosystem. iPhone 4S was almost the exact same hardware as the iPad 2, except for the better camera and under clocked processor. It's a little different but it's either A5 or A6 processor and the dual core, triple or quad core graphics card. I love Apples products but there is definitely too much similarity between the Touch, iPhone, iPad and iPad mini.
  • Options
    The Nexus was made by Samsung. The Nexus 7 was made by ASUS, so they're not similar, especially given the innards.

The problem with Apple is the similarity in parts and OS for their ecosystem. iPhone 4S was almost the exact same hardware as the iPad 2, except for the better camera and under clocked processor. It's a little different but it's either A5 or A6 processor and the dual core, triple or quad core graphics card. I love Apples products but there is definitely too much similarity between the Touch, iPhone, iPad and iPad mini.

iPhone 4S and the iPad 2 had different board, case, display, etc. The majority of the parts are different. That's like saying a laptop is the same as a desktop because of the CPU and OS, ignoring the whole mobile difference.
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    They both had the same processor, video card, similar aesthetic of big screen, home button, same OS. Sure there are some differences, especially with this year's iterations (retina display, the difference in rear cameras, the wifi antennas, etc). But I guess it's just the aesthetic of their mobile devices.

They're #1, but it feels like they're playing safe with Google, Amazon, Barnes And Noble, Blackberry, Microsoft all gunning to make roads in the mobile sector.

Having said that, I have an iPad 3, iPhone 5 (still have a 4S), so I love their product but can see myself venturing out in a few years if things remain stale.
  • Options
    XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Pass. I still have the original 16gb iPad 1. Works great for my purposes. Daijirin Japanese dictionary is ******* godsend for looking up vocab. Just touch the word and there's the definition in Japanese and English!. And JuBeat still works on it...so I'm good. A few games that require iPad2 that I would like to try, but I'll hold out for the iPad 4 to come later next year. The smaller size has zero appeal to me. If I want a secondary device around that side, I'll get a Kindle.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    RDP

Most important function on my iPad - wouldn't want to have a smaller one :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    For what I use my tablet most for I think I would be better off with a Kindle Fire.....Since it is considered an actual "Kindle" device I can borrow books for free since I have Prime.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I'll keep my ipad for business and my nexus 7 for personal.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    i find it funny that when steve jobs was still around he claimed up and down that 7 inch form factor is horrible. But after he passed apple is doing it, its probably just because google and amazon have something in that space, but its still interesting
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    i find it funny that when steve jobs was still around he claimed up and down that 7 inch form factor is horrible. But after he passed apple is doing it, its probably just because google and amazon have something in that space, but its still interesting

Actually as a "tablet" I think 7 inch format is kinda lame due to all the scrolling if I use a web browser. As an expanded e-reader I prefer the size of the device.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    EV42TMAN wrote: »
    They missed a huge opportunity with that market. A research firm just released some numbers on tablet market share and Apple has gone from 80% to 50% in about a year. The craziest part is that the research was done BEFORE the Nexus 7 and Kindle HD were released.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    lol pretty much, minus the cellular part. Supposedly the size of a Kindle/Nook tablet.
    Then wouldn't that make it the iPod Touch, but just a little bigger? I want them to rename it... iPod Big Touch, or iPod BT.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    jgilljgill Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Would love to see it implemented in the education and medical fields.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No.

Waiting on Surface Pro.

Then maybe.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams