Options

(late post) passed 70-640! =)

DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed 70-640 last week. that was a very tough exam. icon_cheers.gificon_thumright.gif

there were a lot of questions on DNS and ADCS, some ADFS and ADRMS.

below are the resources i've used.

IT FreeTraining Videos
70-640 Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (2nd Edition)
CBT Nuggets 70-640 Active Directory w/ R2 Updates
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 - Active Directory Resource Kit (i've read the Part I only, since this book is not updated for R2)
Technet Library

I'm a completely newbie on this AD technology, what helped me a lot was the Part I on Active Directory Resource Kit book which lays out a complete overview of AD DS on it's physical and logical parts.

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, DreadJunior! Yep, from what I hear 70-640 is a beast!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on your pass!
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. It looks like your resources are pretty much the ones I used. What's next in line for you?
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    Congrats, DreadJunior! Yep, from what I hear 70-640 is a beast!

Thanks! yep, i thought i won't make it. But when after i clicked the submit button, it says PASSED!. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Congrats on your pass!

Thanks!
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. It looks like your resources are pretty much the ones I used. What's next in line for you?

Thanks! I'm aiming for MCITP:SA/MCSA:2008. 70-642 would be next.

I totally recommend the Part I of "Active Directory Resource Kit" for someone who doesn't have experience on AD before going through the 70-640 MS training kit. That book (AD Resource Kit) totally explains a lot for me.
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck, i just finished my MCSA a month ago. 640 was rough to say the least.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass. 70-640 is next up for me after Security+ and Network+.

Good luck on whatever comes next,
    Gene
  • Options
    _calvin__calvin_ Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wow I must be missing something because i have the ms press book and the cbtnuggets and I studied like hell for the last couple of months for this exam I just bombed it today. I think the level of detail that the exam went into was totally unmatched by the videos and book. I've never got anything less than a 750 on any of the practice exams and I scored a 424 today. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Calvin, I agree with you on this one, it was a hard test. Study the critical areas on technet and setup or use a lab and practice every coverd domain. what practice exams did you use, I found the selftestsoftware.com practice tests helpful.
  • Options
    Maverick918Maverick918 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DreadJunior,

Can you post your study habits for the people who are going to be taking it? Please include length of time needed to study and how many hrs(average) per day you studied.

Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    how does the itfreetraining videos compare with cbt nuggets? which is better?
  • Options
    DreadJunior,

Can you post your study habits for the people who are going to be taking it? Please include length of time needed to study and how many hrs(average) per day you studied.

Congrats on the pass!

For me I used the Microsoft Self-Paced Training Kit for my primary studying. I also used CBT Nuggets, Microsoft Server 2008 R2 Unleashed, and Technet. I have a VMware esxi server running that I used for all of my labs, and I labbed heavily. Towards the end, I used Transcender and Measure Up practice exams to see where I was, and Technet to study what I was missing. This was about 2 hours a day during the week, and 8 hours+ on the weekends for about 2 months.

• Options
    how does the itfreetraining videos compare with cbt nuggets? which is better?

They are no where near as good as CBT Nuggets, but they are also not bad. CBT Nuggets does step-by-step examples with explanation, so after the video you have a really good idea on how to do what you are learning. I highly recommend CBT Nuggets if you can afford them.