Options

Ideas on finishing test preparation

draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just finished Darril's book and I even managed to score an 82% on the final so I was quite pleased with myself. Now on the practice test Comptia has I didn't do so well and got a 20 out of 30 which is not good enough yet. My next step is to try watching something like professor's messor's videos and take tons of notes on everything but I really I don't want to do as I find videos much too slow paced.I think that's the wrong plan though so what I'm trying to do is figure what the best study method now would be. I did poorly on 3 characters in the Sec+ should I just go over those chapters and take notes should I just read his entire book again and take notes on the chapters I'm week on? I'll start studying again tomorrow what methods did you use to pass?

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Try downloading the exam objectives and lab through some of the stuff you can. You might try another book, too. Doesn't hurt to have another source, but from what I've heard, Darril's book is single source.

My study plan is usually as follows:
    1. Read through the book. Take your time, especially if it's new material.
    2. Read again, taking notes and doing any hands-on labs / practice I can, plus taking any quizzes.
    3. Go through the exam objectives and make sure I'm comfortable with them. Use the practice exams as a gauge to see what you know /don't know yet.
    4. Print out study notes and read through them daily about a week before the exam.
    5. Use additional resources as needed.
  • Options
    That sounds like a good plan, thanks. I think what I'll do is try going over the 3 or four chapters that I didn't do so well in. Hopefully that will be enough to have my quiz score go up. I don't want to go over the whole book again but I will if my plan doesn't work out. My average was about 85% on the quizzes.
  • Options
    I got another book to supplement Darril's book. This one has even more questions and a CD so that will definitely help me. I think my problem was I started to think the exam would be easy. I've stated I'll pass this exam before nov 5 so back to work for me.
  • Options
    erazzerazz Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Im going through the same thing....I've read Darril's but still feel I should be doing more. I took the practice test that comes with the voucher and got 80 out of 100 on, so im almost there...but just pre test anxiety. I'm scheduled for Monday, so still have some time to review some of the area's im still struggling to grasp, mainly encryption and some threats right now.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    draught wrote: »
    I just finished Darril's book and I even managed to score an 82% on the final so I was quite pleased with myself. Now on the practice test Comptia has I didn't do so well and got a 20 out of 30 which is not good enough yet.

You might like to take a look at this thread.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/82331-another-pass-here.html

The practice test questions on CompTIAs site sometimes scare people away but many people report they are much more difficult than the live exam.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Glyphic83Glyphic83 Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From my experience, you really don't need to worry much about the questions on CompTIA's site. Many others on this forum who have taken and passed Sec+ will tell you the same thing.

Personally, my opinion is that if you keep studying until you're getting 90% or higher on the questions in Darril's book the odds of you failing the exam are extremely slim. Myself and many others around here have had no trouble passing with Darril's book alone. Of course, you're certainly not going to hurt yourself by using additional materials and taking practice exams from other sources as well. Bottom line, don't stress about the CompTIA questions much.