Options

CISCO or LINUX ???

gambino123gambino123 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everybody.
I am an IT employee. I have 2 question for you ??
1) What is the current trend in IT sector, CISCO (ccna.ccnp etc) or LINUX ( RHCSA , RHCE , etc )
meaning which one is better and easy to find a job.

2) Which is easy for learning CISCO (ccna.ccnp etc) or UNIX ( RHCSA , RHCE , etc ) because i am little lazy icon_sad.gif

please help me because i am confused.

I want to study something that is easy for learning and good option for my future

thanks to all and respect,

Comments

• Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Easy only applies to trust fund babies. Nothing in life is easy and you mostly have to be dedicated and hardworking. How about you think about what you really want to do?

Grab a Cisco book or visit the website for the objectives, do the same for Linux and see which one you prefer and above all would love doing for the next couple of years.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Both have easy and difficult subjects. If you have had a lot of opportunity with both cisco products and linux then some of the things that would be difficult for someone new, might be easy for you.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    gambino123 wrote: »
    I want to study something that is easy for learning and good option for my future

Doesn't exist. If it's easy to learn, it's not going to carry you very far.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    agree with the above. if it's easy for everyone, then it's not really valuable.

if it's easy for you, but hard for everyone else =] then you've found your niche.
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    So you want something easy because youre lazy? Go be a florist.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Linux and Cisco are completely different careers. Sure you can do both in one job but you can also do Windows and Cisco in one job. My point is:

Linux = System Administration (in general, yes there are linux routers out there)
    Cisco = Network Administration

I would say you need to figure out if you enjoy networking or servers. If you cannot figure out which one you enjoy most at this point, like some had stated above, grab a book and start reading it to get the jist of what it entails. You could also talk with those who do both, that would be the best bet. If you're able to talk with a Linux Sysadmin and also a network engineer, that would help you get a better picture of what each role does.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    phoeneous wrote: »
    So you want something easy because youre lazy? Go be a florist.

Even that is not easy, its one of the most hardest jobs there is, most people who work there have a zen like attitude and i think i can understand why.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why not both? What's wrong with having knowledge in different areas. Hell, IT isn't a place where you can stop learning!

As far as "What's easy." Depends on your background, depends what you already know, depends on your interests. Cisco is easy for me because I enjoy it. But it's definitely got topics that are vague, hard to grasp. But then it clicks and Boom. It's like someone turned on the light in a dark room. Let the good feelings wash over you.

I like Linux, just because it is what it is. But it's not a subject that I can dig my teeth into. I do want the Linux+ Not because of the cert, but more so because it's learning something in another operating system - beyond knowing the "ifconfig" brings up the network information! There's something about CLI that just feels good, too. Being able to take a car apart, put it back together into a working state - feeling.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Becoming experienced and certified in both areas of technology will make you highly employable, provided you are able to move around a lot.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    please help me because i am confused.

Become a politician or rob a bank...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973

Dont we all?
    meh
  • Options
    UnixGuy: You can rob and be a politician.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□

2) Which is easy for learning CISCO (ccna.ccnp etc) or UNIX ( RHCSA , RHCE , etc ) because i am little lazy icon_sad.gif
    First off, you can't be lazy when learning new technologies. When it comes to Cisco, be prepared to study and really learn the material. Second, don't use more than one typeface on a post.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Speaking of... MAC... How's the studying? :D

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Speaking of... MAC... How's the studying? :D
    It's going very well actually. Hoping to book my test for next week or the week after. I might wait until another voucher becomes available. So, if I do wait I'll just study and lab a shed load.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    My advice: try both and see which you like.

Start with the CCENT and CCNA, then go for the Linux+ certification. Those are the basic, introductory steps to each path. Once you've discovered which comes more naturally to you, which you find more fun to work with, begin digging deeper. If you're into networking, then the CCNP, CCNP: Security, CCNP: Voice, etc., may be for you. If you want to work with servers and software, then it it'll be a good idea to pursue the RHCSA and RHCE.
    Both paths can net you quite a fat paycheck, given that you're willing to spend the time and effort it takes to not only learn the skills, but also build up your experience in your field.

After a few years and lots of studying, (and given that you're good at what you do,) it's not unrealistic that you may find yourself in the six-figure range regarding salary, really depends on what part of the world you work in and what your focus is, as well as some luck. You get as much out of this kind of stuff as you put into it. . . which is why I recommend you try your hand at both areas and maybe even pursue more advanced certs (and skills) in both paths; they really do complement each other.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    fslima0fslima0 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am going to try to do both. I already am CCNA, and I feel I can probably be CCNP if I feel motivated enough for a job position. I also would like to have an UNIX certification just because it's my favorite OS and I can see myself as a sysadmin.
    Current Goals: CCNP and RHCSA
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    Think you guys are being overly rude to this guy. Asking which subject is easier to study or more lucrative is not a character deficit. I know I work for money, and I value my peace of mind.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Do both! Learning Linux first makes the Cisco iOS CLI much, much easier to catch on to, at that point it's about learning the relevant technologies.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    pert wrote: »
    Think you guys are being overly rude to this guy. Asking which subject is easier to study or more lucrative is not a character deficit. I know I work for money, and I value my peace of mind.

Reread the original post. He wants the easier path because his lazy.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If something is easy the market generally shifts and that skill becomes more common which drives wages down.
  • Options
    sharkezosharkezo Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    with this mentality you won't be anywhere near a decent IT job
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you're looking for something easy then take a little time to learn how to build and repair PCs and do that for the next 25 years. Not that there's anything wrong with that but that's probably as easy as it gets in the IT field. You also get to work with your hands which may or may not be appealing to you but both linux and cisco require a decent amount of studying. There's nothing easy about the CCNP or RHCE otherwise we would all have them. Download a copy of a linux distro and find a decent cisco IOS simulator or emulator or even some real equipment off of ebay and find out for yourself which one you like better. Don't expect anything to be easy though and don't expect the certs alone to be the answer to all of your questions. The job hunt alone is a challenge and it takes a lot of persistence and hard work to get to where you want to be.