failed 640-802

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
So I took the Bootcamp from GK in july, came home and did tons of time in packet tracer and transcender, busy at work, lots of travel etc. I scored 683 of a needed 825 and I feel like I've been kicked in the groin.

A couple things I am curious about maybe someone knows, or maybe its a cisco trade secret.

1. Do the simulations award partial credit?

2. Lets say I am configuring something like an ACL and the final solution will have to be like three lines, but I drop in one line and apply it to an interface to test "that" part of the solution, does it seem that the test simulator would not actually do what that line of configuration is designed to do, because maybe the simulator is only designed to change its default behaviour once the "correct" solution is put in place? In a nutshell I'm saying there isn't enough logic built into the sim to handle every situation.

I'm not trying to break the NDA here with number 2. but lets just say I maybe went down a road like this and it really through me for a loop, I ate up like 7 minutes on this, then paniced and moved on, becuase I've heard what a time crunch ccna can be, sadly when I clicked finish I had 22 minutes left over.

Something else that threw me for a loop, if the exam says fix any other connectivity issues, after it cites a very specific connectivity issue, does this mean make the entire network fully routeable or would you think this is refferring to the specific router mentioned?

Probably the biggest thing I was unprepared for was non standard wild card mask's like 0.0.0.31 I am not fast enough with converting and interpreting them.

I guess its back to the drawing board.

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You'll get it. Going from the score you got to the passing score will take some study time (I've scored around that area too). Just use the report that they gave you to study off of. The wild card masks for ACL/EIGRP/OSPF are confusing but you'll get the hang of it. Just do way more labs that focuses on the areas that you're having trouble with.

Check out Practice Subnet Skills: A Place to Practice Your Subnetting Skills and go to the "Design" section to work on subnetting.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took 640-802. Don't give up, study harder and you'll get it next time. Also, I do believe Cisco give partial (they won't admit it though). What book did you use?
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear, slinuxuzer. Maybe you should consider taking the two-exam route?
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    It's alright, just hit the areas that you had troubles with a little more.. my advice to anyone is don't rush it, appreciate it.. because the things you're learning there don't go away when you move up! So the longer you spend getting a strong foundation, the easier it will be when you go higher up! I've had to go back and relearn things all the time.. but it'll come back quicker later on if you spend more time on it now. You can do it!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • AnthonyFAnthonyF Member Posts: 109
    Partial credit yes.

My theory for those simlets is that they have a limited amount of memory. Once you pass the input limit they bust. No matter if you put the right answer in or not. It is stuck on the last input before it popped. May seem wacky but I know quite a few guys who took it and had problems on the sim. I reccommend that you write your acl or whatever they ask for out on the erasable pad before you try any inputs beside the show run or whatever command you have to use.

As to your second question they mean fix the whole thing. As for the wild card mask. I did not invert it. In the IOS it flips it for you anyway. I did not waste my time with the wild card. I put in the mask and that was all. I worked for me I think I got a 900+ since I re-certed.

All these things could have changed just my theory. I has been about a year since I took it so. I could be off and the mask thing may not work on the test anymore. My current job is not hands on so forgive any errors.
  • yuddhidhtiryuddhidhtir Member Posts: 197 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Think of it as a learning experience, don't feel discouraged and give your 100 percent at the next attempt, good luck!
    “Satisfaction lies in the effort, not in the attainment; full effort is full victory.”