Subnetting study question

xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
For ICND1 & ICND2 I notice from CBT Nugget Videos they go through 3 types of subnetting scenarios.
1) Figure it out based on the # of networks needed
2) Figure it out based on the # of hosts given
3) Figure it out based on reverse engineering.

Now he goes on to say that on the Cisco exams the questions are all reverse engineering type. I also went on subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online and all of their questions fall into the reverse engineering category.

Is it ok to limit my studying to the mastery of reverse engineering type questions for subnetting for the ICND1 and ICND2 exams?

Thanks for help,

Comments

• phatrikphatrik Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Look at it this way: do you want to take a chance a limit your studies even though you might encounter scenario #1 and 2 on the exam? Might as well learn everything you can just in case. No one is allowed to tell you what's the exam so I doubt you'll get a more specific answer. Plus, once you understand the math behind subnetting (bits represent networks, subnets and hosts. you use 2^x to calculate how many of each) it'll be just as easy to figure out either of the 3 scenarios.
    2018 goals: Security+, CCNA CyberOps (Cohort #6), eJPT, CCNA R&S 2019 goals: RHCE ????, OSCP || CISSP
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with phatrik. Here's another problem: what will you do when you actually have to subnet a network? There wouldn't be any ip addresses to reverse engineer, so you might as well learn all three methods.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Michael2 wrote: »
    I agree with phatrik. Here's another problem: what will you do when you actually have to subnet a network? There wouldn't be any ip addresses to reverse engineer, so you might as well learn all three methods.

I agree with these guys. You will have to do this once you get a networking job...
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Learn subnetting inside and out. All of it. The end.
  • xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At that point I can just google it and say "Oh yeah I remember that." because chances are I memorize all of it for the test, and what happens if it takes 6 months to get a straight up balls to the wall networking job? Than I would have to refresh my memory of it anyways.
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's true, but how will you remember it if you never knew how to do it in the first place?
  • LamplightLamplight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would learn each way. It's only going to help.
    Working On: eCPPT