Options

Embarking on 70-640 - Please help with timelines.

BrainerBrainer Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Glad I found this forum. I am embarking on my MCSA and thought I would post here to follow my progression and keep me motivated with help from other people stories and experiences. I am not sure what your timelines have been in the past but I hope to complete the 70-640 exam in about 3 months. I will be able to do 2 hours a day and between 5 - 10 at the weekends.

Would this be realistic in what you have experience?

I have 2 decent laptops and a home server with Vmware on each available to me. At the moment I have been fiddling about with 2 PDC's, a member server, an XP and Windows 7 virtual machines. I have also purchased the Windows Server 2008 R2 Unleashed reference book.

My current experience is 8 years desktop support in various companies from Insurance to Telecommunications.

Any advice on your timelines would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Brian :)

Comments

• Options
    Commguy23Commguy23 Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the same schedule as you. I study for about 2 hours or more every night after work M-F, and spend my whole weekends studying. I started studying for the 70-640 early September, and I'm testing on Nov 10th. So, I'll let you know how I do but it seams to be a realistic schedule, as I am almost ready to start on practice exams. I'm using Labsim, which lets you lab almost every concept. I recommend downloading their trial to see if you like it.
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I've been studying for it for a month also along with 70-680,685, taking test in two weeks.

I deal with server admin on a daily biases and am getting them honestly because my job is paying for them
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It took me about 2 1/2 months to study for this one, three is a good schedule.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The timeline you described is very doable. If you have experience in Active Directory, it will help. What materials are you using to help you along?
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+