Time to conquer Mount CCIE!

PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
"Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success. " - Swami Vivekananda

I am finally where I want to be in life; In shape, got an understanding family and supportive employer. I think this is a great moment for me to finally embark on the journey to obtain those digits.

I have given myself 3 months to pass the Written, while assembling my lab. Currently, it consists of:

2 x 2610XM with 2 WIC-1Ts each
1 x 2801 with 1 WIC-1T (to replace one of the 1841s in the INE topology)
1 x 2522 Frame Relay Switch
2 x 3550-24 with EMI image

Obviously I am still looking for quite a few pieces, but I am getting there. As you can see, I am going to follow the INE topology, and will be using the following material:

INE Written Boot camp
INE R&S Advanced Technologies Class
INE R&S Advanced Troubleshooting
INE R&S Workbooks I - IV

Alright, so in the meantime I will be mixing up GNS3 with the real gear. I've located a 19" rack of unknown brand that I will be picking up this weekend in order to give my toys a proper home.

My wife has given her blessing to me pursuing the CCIE for the next 18 months, at least. My colleagues don't all understand the why behind I do it, but the end result is simple: To become a better network engineer.

I will read Your CCIE Lab Success Strategy: The Non-Technical Guidebook once it arrives from Amazon. Next to that, my first step will be to watch the Written videos for each technology and then follow up with a suitable book. I am tempted to use Brian Dennis' list for the Written. He is not a big fan of Cisco Press:

TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1: The Protocols
MPLS-Enabled Applications: Emerging Developments and New Technologies
OSPF: Anatomy of an Internet Routing Protocol
Qos-Enabled Networks: Tools and Foundations
The Internet and Its Protocols: A Comparative Approach
Cisco IP Routing: Packet Forwarding and Intra-domain Routing Protocols
IPv6, Second Edition: Theory, Protocol, and Practice
Interdomain Multicast Routing: Practical Juniper Networks and Cisco Systems Solutions
Practical BGP
EIGRP for IP: Basic Operation and Configuration
Cisco Express Forwarding

I might add Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 and 2 to this list as well. Note taking will be done with Evernote and Anki for flash cards and SRS.

Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated. I will be posting daily with my activities and thoughts.

Cheers,
Fin

Comments

• reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Good luck!
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck! I would definitely add Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 and 2 to your reading list. Internet Routing Architectures is a nice addition as well.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Good luck and +1 to jamesp1983.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Good luck PsychoFin!! Glad there's another CCIE thread to follow!

I honestly come to this section every day and pull motivation from listening to how much you guys are going at it.
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Defiantly not on the level then you Cisco guys are but someday hope to get there, good luck!
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    Thanks a lot for the wishes everyone! I already have TCP/IP vol 1&2. I will be starting with the Stevens classic today during my 1 hour and 45 minute long commute to work.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    QoS Enabled networks is a good book and much easier read than some of the Cisco press material. Start familiarizing yourself with the DocCD now and build out your study notes as you progress through the written track. It'll help to accelerate your studies! Focus on the "how does this work, and why does it work" rather than on "what are the commands."

Most importantly remember to take at least one day per week for yourself/family/friends/anything BUT studying so that you don't burn out. Good luck and as always don't hesitate to reach out with questions. Looking forward to following your progress!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    down77 wrote: »
    Start familiarizing yourself with the DocCD now and build out your study notes as you progress through the written track. It'll help to accelerate your studies! Focus on the "how does this work, and why does it work" rather than on "what are the commands."

Most importantly remember to take at least one day per week for yourself/family/friends/anything BUT studying so that you don't burn out. Good luck and as always don't hesitate to reach out with questions. Looking forward to following your progress!

Excellent advice! Remember, this will be a long journey.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    down77 wrote: »
    QoS Enabled networks is a good book and much easier read than some of the Cisco press material. Start familiarizing yourself with the DocCD now and build out your study notes as you progress through the written track. It'll help to accelerate your studies! Focus on the "how does this work, and why does it work" rather than on "what are the commands."

Thanks! That's some good advice right there!

As for the QoS book I have high expectations as it's written by Juniper folks and I've heard great things about it. I am biased since I worked for Juniper for some time.

I will probably take some months to just read up on vendor neutral stuff and fundamental material before officially starting on the CCIE Written material. The plan for now is:

TCP/IP Vol 1
    TCP/IP Vol 2

And then I will start using the OCG as a road map to what else to read up on. Oh, and I printed the CCIE Written syllabus. They have a new format with boxes for check marks next to each topic now :D

Cheers,
    Fin
    So by now I've finished the first 3 chapters of TCP/IP Illustrated. The last couple pages were met with great enthusiasm by other family members when read out aloud during the evening story hour.

Pretty good book, quite detailed. Good stuff indeed.

I thought I'd give you guys a peek of my morning schedule that I've stuck to for the past three weeks:

04:30AM - Wake up, espresso and protein shake
    04:45AM - 05:30 Work out, shower (3 - 4 times a week. If no work out, then start studying earlier)
    05:15AM - 06:00 - Study
    06:00AM - Breakfast
    06:30AM - 08:20AM - Study during commute to work

Thanks to this, I've been able to go through large amounts of literature. When I get home I try to do some hands on in the evening.
    Just got the 2nd edition of Network Warrior and it reminded me of how damn good a book it is. I skimmed through some of the updated sections (wlan, nexus, ipv6) and wished I knew this stuff years ago. This truly is one of the most essential books for network admins, even those of us who have been in the game for quite a while.

Network Warrior: Gary A. Donahue: 9781449387860: Amazon.com: Books
    Alright, there we go. I'm almost done with TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 1. Can't wait to get cracking on The Internet and Its Protocols: A Comparative Approach . Seems pretty good. After this I might give Perlman's book a re-read before going into the CCIE Cert Guide. And my plan is to read a vendor-neutral book before each section in the exam guide, then supplement with the OCG chapters and additional books.

Man, the 3560s are quite expensive here again. I am seriously considering going with 4 x 3550s and then use rack time for the QoS stuff that is lacking. Currently I can get 2 x 3750s for a bit less or the same price as 2 x 3560s though. Man, either 2 3560 24P or 2 3750 non-PoE.
    You can find really good deals if you're patient on those 3560s. I told my ex employer I would work off 2x3560s that they gave me by doing contract work. See if you can do anything like that.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    James is correct. I ended up getting 2 x 3560s a year ago for around $600 total. You can find them cheaper today if you are patient!
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
    I can get 2 x 3560s for 580 USD or 2 x 3750s for 620 USD at the moment.
    Maybe I am just too much of a cheapskate?
    Actually, the 3750-48s are cheaper than the 3560s, as there are only PoE 3560s available. Hmm.
    I'm not gone yet ;) Just been mad busy at work. Looks like they want me to take the CCNA:S. Sigh.
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    Hey man. A little late, but I wanted to wish you good luck in your lab prep. How is the new job so far?
    Hey Ryan,

It's shaping up well. Great colleagues and boss. Environment is good too, I can work from home quite a bit. Straight up Cisco shop so that helps too heh. Lots of different equipment to work with.

How are you doing these days man? New job too, right?
  • Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    That's great. There's a lot to be said about not only enjoying the technical aspect of a job, but the boss and co-workers.
    So. Long time no see! :) I've been let go from my job, and I have now got a new one lined up, starting March 4th.
    This will yet again push back the date for my CCIE push. Sigh. The only positive thing is that I managed to get a free 48 port 3560 POE, so now I just need one more 3560 :)

As for the studies, well, motivation hasn't been at a high this past month, but the reading is till progressing.

Found a very cheap rack rental provider in CCIE Rack Rental, Free trial session, CCIE rack, Cisco Routing and Switching lab, CCIE Security 4.0 rack, Cisco CCIE Service Provider, Real labs - CCIE Rack Rental, so will probably rent a rack for a day or two to see how I like them. Might be a good idea while building my rack.

Cheers,
    Fin
    Weeee!

I managed to find my way back onto the CCIE bandwagon yet again. It simply is the best next step for my career and ambitions. Period.

I've built a new i7 desktop server with 32GB RAM for running Unified Networking Lab and VMWare Workstation. Tied to this, I have four switches, 3550 and 3560s. So far I have been able to recreate most practice scenarios that I have encountered.

As for additional material, I am using INE's ATC, Workbook and some other video courses. I also started with CBT Nuggets CCIE RSv5 videos. They are very good as well. I tend to use them as initial info about a topic before I watch INE or read a book. So far that works very well.

I've read the following vendor neutral stuff as of now:

TCP/IP Vol 1
    TCP/IP Vol 2

At the moment I am focusing on the written, but will still prepare for the lab. I have made Excel sheets with both exam blueprints where I have mapped out my strength/skill in each task from 0 - 5, and use that to keep track on where I am.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Welcome back to the frontline. You've got some good materials there and the beauty of the R/S nowadays is 95% you can do virtually.

Good luck!
  • Alex90Alex90 Member Posts: 289
    Good luck buddy icon_thumright.gif
    Alright!

So now I'm finished with my ESXi lab and am running 20 CSR 1000v instances with 1 additional VM for wireshark usage without any problems. Also have these connected to my physical switches.

I've been warming up with technology labs all weekend and am excited to get into the groove.

Lessons learned so far: Don't assume that your hardware is compatible with ESXi out-of-the-box just because you built a new high-end desktop.

Also, don't assume that you know anything about anything :)
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Good show! Now to the lab!
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can't have any better time or any more adequate resources. Good luck!
    Wow, my last post was from a long time ago. Ugh. I'm still busy after a fairly long break due to different priorities at work but am now back at it yet again. I will be updating more regularly from now on :)

By the way, the new INE R&S v5 Written videos are nice!