Options

Does this sound like sabotage?

CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
I took my 2007 Dodge RAM to a dealer for it's powertrain inspection. Suddenly a week later my differential is magically leaking and I find the plug not even finger tight. Do these things just come loose? I tightened it and will replace the lost fluid...
Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nope sounds like shoddy workmanship to me.

Sabotage is malicious, poor workmanship is just laziness.

Both can have the same end results :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    Workmanship should NOT apply to the differential as it was not to be inspected or serviced...

EDIT: I stand corrected. The diff was indeed to be inspected as part of the powertrain.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Why was the differential not to be inspected in a powertrain inspection? It should have been..
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like they checked the fluid and forgot to tighten the plug. Fill it till fluid runs out of the hole and tighten the plug or take it back.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    Why was the differential not to be inspected in a powertrain inspection? It should have been..
    Ah... You're right! Overlooked this in the powertrain warranty specifics! I'm not taking it back to them to hose up anymore than what they have almost done. Should call and give them a piece of my mind. I guess this DOES make it shoddy workmanship.

LIFETIME POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY

A. Who is Covered?
    You are covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are the first registered owner or lessee for use of the vehicle. Subsequent owners or
    lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by
    operation of law are also not covered.
    B. What’s Covered
    The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed in section E below that is
    defective in workmanship and materials. There is no coverage for towing in the event of disablement.
    C. When It Begins
    The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty begins at the end of the Basic Limited Warranty.
    D. Excluded Vehicles
    SRT vehicles, Sprinter vehicles, diesel equipped vehicles, all Ram Cab/Chassis vehicles, rental vehicles and government vehicles are not covered. Vehicles
    used as a police vehicle, taxi, limousine, postal delivery vehicle, or ambulance are not covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty.
    E. Parts Covered
    The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers these parts and components of your vehicle’s powertrain supplied by Chrysler Motors LLC:
    Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration
    damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger
    housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.
    Transmission: transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; transmission control module; bell
    housing; oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY
    TIME.
    Front Wheel Drive: transaxle case and all internal parts; axle shaft assemblies; constant velocity joints and boots; differential cover; oil pan; transaxle
    speed sensors; transaxle solenoid assembly; PRNDL position switch; transaxle electronic controller; torque converter; seals and gaskets for listed
    components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.
    All Wheel Drive (AWD): power transfer unit and all internal parts; viscous coupler; axle housing and all internal parts; constant velocity joints and boots;
    driveshaft and axle shaft assemblies; differential carrier assembly and all internal parts; output ball bearing; output flange; end cover; overrunning clutch;
    vacuum motor; torque tube; pinion spacer and shim, seals and gaskets for listed components only.
    Rear Wheel Drive: rear axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shaft assemblies; drive shaft center bearings; universal
    joints and yokes; seals and gaskets for listed components only.
    Four-Wheel Drive (4X4): transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal
    parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing
    assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.
    F. When Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty Does Not Apply
    You are not covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are a second or subsequent owner of the vehicle.
    G. Inspections
    In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain
    inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection
    must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue
    this coverage.
    H. Other Provisions of This Powertrain Limited Warranty
    All other terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty including the Section 1 (Your Rights Under These Limited Warranties) and Section 3 (What’s Not
    Covered) apply to this Powertrain Limited Warranty.
    This document supplements the warranties and conditions described in the vehicle’s Warranty Information book.
    No other coverages are altered or extended based on this supplement.
    81-016-8057 Gas Vehicles

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Ah... You're right! Overlooked this in the powertrain warranty specifics! I'm not taking it back to them to hose up anymore than what they have almost done. Should call and give them a piece of my mind. I guess this DOES make it shoddy workmanship.

Front Wheel Drive: transaxle case and all internal parts; axle shaft assemblies; constant velocity joints and boots; differential cover; oil pan; transaxle

Your 2007 Dodge RAM is not front wheel drive. In any event, they were probably just being thorough and checking the oil level. How mad would you be if the rear diff blew up because there was no oil and you had just had it in for service and they didn't check it?

The techs are very, very busy and pressed for time. Shoddy workmanship? Give me a break. Take it back, explain what happened and have them fill the oil and tighten the plug or DIY.

Here's the part that probably applies to you:
    Rear Wheel Drive: rear axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shaft assemblies; drive shaft center bearings; universal
    joints and yokes; seals and gaskets for listed components only.
    Four-Wheel Drive (4X4): transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal
    parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing
    assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    I would have parked it where ever you were at, made them come pick you up and toe it. Then correct the issue and demand something in return.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,038 Admin
    I'm not understating how this discussion topic is technology-related.
This discussion has been closed.